Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Majority of voters support free college, eliminating student debt

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

If they get free college I want my tuition back with interest at the legal rate for 30 years.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You mention the teacher pensions a lot........ You know they work pretty cheap & pay out of their own pocket for things needed in the classroom, students lacking etc......... Part of taking that lower salary is that compensation later in life-that is the deal..

You have problem w/ teachers???
    This is from the LA Times a couple of months ago about education spending in the state.

""School districts are being squeezed, too, by the rising costs of employee healthcare and pensions. Because those benefits are locally bargained with public employee unions, some argue it’s a problem of their own making. Nonetheless, the multibillion-dollar obligations are steadily growing. School districts have been required to begin paying more into the state teachers’ retirement fund to ensure its solvency. To ease that burden, Newsom’s K-12 budget proposes paying a portion of the local districts’ pension obligation.""

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...512-story.html

This is just one paragraph in one article but there has been a lot written about this. Whether one agrees with it or not it's a reality that money earmarked for schools and classrooms is instead being used to cover teachers pensions. It's a very real issue.

I don't have issues with teachers. I have issues with the teachers unions. Unions are there for the best interest of the teachers, not the children. Bad teachers (like bad police officers) should be removed. Instead the unions make it almost impossible. That does not benefit students. And I'm not talking about firing teachers left and right on a whim but I'm talking about legitimate bad teachers. And teachers union fight change at every turn. Our education system has barely evolved in the past century although the world clearly has. But teacher unions (and the politicians they support) aren't willing to change with the times.

And ultimately it comes to what the goal of our education system? Is it about employment for adults or what's best for the kids?

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

You really cannot understand that that just indicates that the wealthy have all the fucking money?
    that's why they are called rich

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is from the LA Times a couple of months ago about education spending in the state.

""School districts are being squeezed, too, by the rising costs of employee healthcare and pensions. Because those benefits are locally bargained with public employee unions, some argue it’s a problem of their own making. Nonetheless, the multibillion-dollar obligations are steadily growing. School districts have been required to begin paying more into the state teachers’ retirement fund to ensure its solvency. To ease that burden, Newsom’s K-12 budget proposes paying a portion of the local districts’ pension obligation.""

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...512-story.html

This is just one paragraph in one article but there has been a lot written about this. Whether one agrees with it or not it's a reality that money earmarked for schools and classrooms is instead being used to cover teachers pensions. It's a very real issue.

I don't have issues with teachers. I have issues with the teachers unions. Unions are there for the best interest of the teachers, not the children. Bad teachers (like bad police officers) should be removed. Instead the unions make it almost impossible. That does not benefit students. And I'm not talking about firing teachers left and right on a whim but I'm talking about legitimate bad teachers. And teachers union fight change at every turn. Our education system has barely evolved in the past century although the world clearly has. But teacher unions (and the politicians they support) aren't willing to change with the times.

And ultimately it comes to what the goal of our education system? Is it about employment for adults or what's best for the kids?
    & yet you attack the teachers compensation not the union leadership........

They told us in the early 90's the lotto would be pay for education, we'll never have to worry any more........

Teachers are the small fry here, you have much bigger fish to fry........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

& yet you attack the teachers compensation not the union leadership........

They told us in the early 90's the lotto would be pay for education, we'll never have to worry any more........

Teachers are the small fry here, you have much bigger fish to fry........
    Me stating what others are reporting, that pension cost are eating away at money intended for the classroom, isn't me attacking teachers compensation. It's stating an economic reality.

I also stated my issue is with the teachers unions, not the individual teachers themselves. And I stated what my issue was. You and others are free to disagree. I don't take it as a personal attack. There's a reason there is a growing bi-partisan consensus on the need for change in our education system.

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Me stating what others are reporting, that pension cost are eating away at money intended for the classroom, isn't me attacking teachers compensation. It's stating an economic reality.

I also stated my issue is with the teachers unions, not the individual teachers themselves. And I stated what my issue was. You and others are free to disagree. I don't take it as a personal attack. There's a reason there is a growing bi-partisan consensus on the need for change in our education system.
    No, take it personal. .lol

There needs to be changes, & I am all for them, some radical changes like doing away w/ the current jim crow system, school districts up the ying yang simply duplicating the state & fed regs. Outrageous salaries for superintendents etc......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2017–2018 school year was $34,740 at private colleges, $9,970 for state residents at public colleges, and $25,620 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.

8. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    “The top 25 percent of earners shoulder nearly 86 percent of the income tax load. Combined, the top 50 percent of earners are responsible for 97 percent income taxes collected. The other half of filers pay just 3 percent of all income taxes.”
    National Taxpayer Union
    The bottom 40% actually pays -106% of federal income taxes. It is negative because 1) they owe 0 federal income taxes; 2) most get Earned Income Tax Credits (up to about $5,000).

They owe no taxes plus get cash money (plus any additional benefits). That would provide a free year of community college which average $3,341 per year.

9. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

And do you have data indicating that people who take out student loans to study cosmetology default at a greater rate than others?
    I did not say they defaulted but that they did not finish classes and/or do not actually practice cosmetology.

However, the private for-profit schools do default at a much higher rate and most cosmetology schools fall in that category--many of them fly-by-night operations. The Education Department just announced a policy for "Defrauded Students" because many close in the middle of the semester leaving the students with no classes or refunds.

10. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    dear fucking idiot
    the time the republicans want to go back too is the 1950s
    that time was created by FDRs policies in the 1940s
    want me to show you those tax rates ?
    fuck you very much
    And those 91% tax rates in the 1950s raised about 16.8% revenue as a percent of GDP. Today much lower rates raise about 17% revenue as a percent of GDP. Why should we have confiscatory tax rates when they raise no more money than lower rates?

11. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    And those 91% tax rates in the 1950s raised about 16.8% revenue as a percent of GDP. Today much lower rates raise about 17% revenue as a percent of GDP. Why should we have confiscatory tax rates when they raise no more money than lower rates?
    Only a small number of households fell into that 91% marginal rate during the ‘50’s and it’s been documented about how people under reported income and all the available tax avoidance schemes of the day.

We have to look at more than just marginal rates alone because of all the write off allowances etc when comparing rates across decades. Your numbers tell an excellent story about what the rich/wealthy pay on a percentage basis as a percent of GDP.

And all you get in return for sharing this info is to be told to do an inhumane act to yourself.

12. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

lots of the rich & their corps don't either
    He's a 'rat too...

13. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    most Trump rubes don't even go to college

and most don't pay taxers anyway, wonder why they give a fuck
    Trump won the vote of white college graduates.

14. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow, an actual issue being discussed. Impossible. No free lunch. Sorry

15. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    We already have taxpayer funded college. It is just not 100%. In some states tuition may pay for only 25% of the cost of the education.
    Whatever we have is not enough. China is out-educating us. Our greedy way of turning education into a for-profit institution is not effective in keeping up with the rest of the world. We need to be smarter.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.