Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Boxing Movie

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Default Best Boxing Movie

I watched a few slideshows about great sports movies. I never saw one that included the greatest movie about boxing ever made.

I am sure that movie fans younger than I love the Rocky Balboa movies. They must because they keep making them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky

but it only took one Charley Davis played by John Garfield to gain movie immortality.

The movies in my slideshow were produced in a different America, and produced by different Americans. I like to think youngsters will love my movies if they ever watch them.

NOTE: Screenwriter Abraham Polonsky (1910–1999) was blacklisted, along with a few cast members in Body and Soul.

Anne Revere (1903 - 1990), a direct descendant of Paul Revere, was also blacklisted along with several other cast members.

Veteran character actress Anne Revere became another in the long line of talented artists whose careers would crash under the weight of the "Red Scare" hysteria that tore through Hollywood in the 1940s and 1950s. Born in Manhattan and a direct descendant of Revolutionary War figure Paul Revere, Anne graduated from Wellesley College, then trained for the stage at the American Laboratory Theatre.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720843/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Canada Lee (1907 - 1952) was a professional boxer as well as an actor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Lee

When they were shooting Body and Soul the movie set must have been a hotbed of Hollywood Lefties saving the world.

I was too young to understand the politics in 1947. I came to understand and hate the politics of Hollywood’s Lefties, but I still watch a few minutes of Body and Soul when it comes up on television .

Here are two more boxing movies that stood the test of time:

Aside from the plot and dialogue in Body and Soul the title is a reminder of one the greatest songs ever written. There are probably more recorded renditions of Body and Soul than any other song. Here are three of my favorites:
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanders For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-23-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, Rocky Balboa is a masterpiece.
    And the first parts are the best. I watched these films more than 10 times. And saw nothing better than them. which is strange. I have never looked for other films of this genre. It will be interesting

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marta For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-23-2019), Flanders (09-23-2019)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

City for Conquest- James Cagney

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Johnstone For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-23-2019), Flanders (09-23-2019)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norma Newman View Post
    City for Conquest- James Cagney
    I've never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The best boxing movies I've seen are Rocky, the first one, and Raging Bull. Rocky is just SO fun to watch as you can't help but cheer on the underdog. Raging Bull is brutal and at times, a bit TOO brutal and realistic, but it's a fine, wonderfully made film. And I believe it features the best acting De Niro ever did.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Bxing movies I ever saw are
    1. Bleed for This
    2. The Fighter
    3. Rocky
    4. Tyson
    These are my all-time favorite movies so far, In fact when I get free time I watched these, In fact, I bought an adjustable desk from Flexispot Coupons at reecoupons for watching movies and playing games, I love to watch these types of fighting movies.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bellawatson492 For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (10-10-2019)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bellawatson492 View Post
    1. Bleed for This
    2. The Fighter
    3. Rocky
    4. Tyson
    These are my all-time favorite movies so far, In fact when I get free time I watched these, In fact, I bought an adjustable desk from Flexispot Coupons at reecoupons for watching movies and playing games, I love to watch these types of fighting movies.
    I've never heard of Bleed for This, I'll have to check that one out.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by bellawatson492 View Post
    1. Bleed for This
    2. The Fighter
    3. Rocky
    4. Tyson

To bellawatson492:
    Thanks for your abbreviated list of favorites. I will keep an eye out for the first two.

Incidentally, it was dialogue that held audiences in their seats before explosions and chase scenes took over. Hell, the way it is going the special effects man will get the best actor award every year. Move the cursor to 35:05 and listen to two actors in one of the greatest scenes ever put on film. John Garfield delivers one of the greatest lines you will ever hear: “You need money to buy a gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanders For This Post:

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,605 Times in 9,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kid Galahad,1937
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Kid Galahad,1937

To MASON: I saw that one when I was a kid. Even then I knew the plot was silly. I remember thinking Wayne Morris was okay although he never acquired full stardom when he returned to Hollywood after the end of WWII.

American actor who had early success as a sunny juvenile, but whose career declined following World War II, in which he was a highly-decorated hero. A native of Los Angeles, Morris played football at Los Angeles Junior College, then worked as a forest ranger. Returning to school, he studied acting at Los Angeles Junior College and at the acclaimed Pasadena Playhouse. A Warner Bros. talent scout spotted him at the Playhouse and he signed with the studio in 1936. Blond and open-faced, he was a perfect type for boy-next-door parts and within a year had made a success in the title role of Kid Galahad (1937). While filming Flight Angels (1940), Morris became interested in flying and became a pilot. With war in the wind, he joined the Naval Reserve and became a Navy flier in 1942, leaving his film career behind for the duration of the war. Assigned to the carrier Essex in the Pacific, Morris shot down seven Japanese planes and contributed to the sinking of five ships. He was awarded four Distinguished Flying Crosses and two Air Medals. Following the war, Morris returned to films, but his nearly four-year absence had cost him his burgeoning stardom. He continued to topline movies, but the pictures, for the most part, sank in quality. Losing his boyish looks but not demeanor, Morris spent most of the Fifties in low-budget Westerns. A wonderful performance as a weakling in Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957) might have given impetus to a new career as a character actor, had Morris lived. However, he suffered a massive heart attack while visiting aboard the aircraft carrier Bon Homme Richard in San Francisco Bay and was pronounced dead after being transported to Oakland Naval Hospital in Oakland, California. He was 45. His last film was not released until two years after his death.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606998/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanders For This Post:

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post

To MASON: I saw that one when I was a kid. Even then I knew the plot was silly. I remember thinking Wayne Morris was okay although he never acquired full stardom when he returned to Hollywood after the end of WWII.

American actor who had early success as a sunny juvenile, but whose career declined following World War II, in which he was a highly-decorated hero. A native of Los Angeles, Morris played football at Los Angeles Junior College, then worked as a forest ranger. Returning to school, he studied acting at Los Angeles Junior College and at the acclaimed Pasadena Playhouse. A Warner Bros. talent scout spotted him at the Playhouse and he signed with the studio in 1936. Blond and open-faced, he was a perfect type for boy-next-door parts and within a year had made a success in the title role of Kid Galahad (1937). While filming Flight Angels (1940), Morris became interested in flying and became a pilot. With war in the wind, he joined the Naval Reserve and became a Navy flier in 1942, leaving his film career behind for the duration of the war. Assigned to the carrier Essex in the Pacific, Morris shot down seven Japanese planes and contributed to the sinking of five ships. He was awarded four Distinguished Flying Crosses and two Air Medals. Following the war, Morris returned to films, but his nearly four-year absence had cost him his burgeoning stardom. He continued to topline movies, but the pictures, for the most part, sank in quality. Losing his boyish looks but not demeanor, Morris spent most of the Fifties in low-budget Westerns. A wonderful performance as a weakling in Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957) might have given impetus to a new career as a character actor, had Morris lived. However, he suffered a massive heart attack while visiting aboard the aircraft carrier Bon Homme Richard in San Francisco Bay and was pronounced dead after being transported to Oakland Naval Hospital in Oakland, California. He was 45. His last film was not released until two years after his death.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0606998/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm
    I liked Bogart's hat!

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Raging Bull and Requim for a Heavyweight

22. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Flanders (10-11-2019)