Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football is back!

1. #406 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldMercsRule View Post
    Doesn't look like Ohio State can get anything done so far tonight: Doc!
    To paraphrase Pete Rose....wanna bet? LOL
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #407 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    That was a frightening first half for OSU. It turns out that Fields may not have much pocket awareness. Might not stop the team from succeeding, but, it could harm any NFL ambitions he may be harboring.
    LOL I hate to point it out but give the Badgers some due. They put the heat on his ass in the first half and played well downfield....but keep in mind that he was still the games MVP. I don't think Fields is a top NFL QB prospect. He has serious mechanics issues with his throwing but as a college level spread offense QB with his ability to both run and throw and be a dual threat...he's quite excellent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

gfm7175 (12-09-2019)

4. #408 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    People are acting like we go no shot to beat LSU. A couple of the talking heads went so far as to argue Saturday night that whoever ended up as the one seed would essentially get a bye playing OU. If Hurts and the rest have a turnover free game I think we have a real shot to beat the Tigers. There’s a little bias on my part but I’ve also looked at some numbers. When we hang on to the football and don’t throw picks we’re not that bad of a team.

And yes, Jalen Hurts has been a class act both on and off the field. I really like that kid.
    I can promise you that OSU or our fan base are not thinking that way. In fact I feel pretty confident that we'll be playing you Sooners in the final. LSU is just to one dimensional. I think you Sooners will take them.

And if we do play you Sooner by golly you'd better be ready for a flag planting!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (12-15-2019)

6. #409 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    It is funny watching everyone go out of their way to not credit LSU

They dismantled Georgia

OU has NO chance. None. They have as much chance winning against LSU as Kampala Harris has of being President. NONE
    Meh...once LSU plays a team that can get past LSU's offensive line and get to Burrow he's just another Div 1 QB. There's a reason why he wasn't a starter at OSU. Burrow is a good QB but lets be honest...that Heisman should go to his Offensive line. Burrow has not faced a pass rush anything close to what OSU or Clemson have. I wouldn't bet money right now for them to beat OK with that mediocre defense....and as we know...it's defense that wins championships.

7. #410 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 3,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    The Sooners have exactly a 25% chance of winning it all. Just like the other three teams. I'm hearing a lot of cocky talk from LSU fans on the news and sports site. Obviously they are a very good team but not that great. They look awfully one dimensional to me and if the Sooners throw a wrinkle at them that they can't answer for with their passing game, they'll lose. You'd have to be a fool to think you have your trip to the finals locked up cause you're playing a 1 loss Sooners team. Over the long haul their a better program than LSU has been.
    Yeah, I think all four teams are good teams, and all four teams could easily end up winning it all. While I think that LSU has the most explosive offense of the bunch, I still think that OSU is the most complete team on both sides of the field, and would be able to slow LSU's offense down a bit. But OSU has to get past Clemson first, and LSU past Oklahoma. I foresee that 2nd game as a very high scoring game

8. #411 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yea I'm hearing a lot of that from LSU fans. They think they have the NC locked up.
    Not me. There haven’t been enough common opponents to compare the final four. Not sure how you do with the same lack of information. That said Clemson’s best opponent this season was Texas A&M which was their first game.
    As to LSU’s defense, they got spoiled with LSU’s offense scoring at will against everybody except Auburn and no game was in doubt. They’ve come around the last three games as I figured they would eventually. I’m sure their defensive coordinator got on their asses. They’ve got too much talent and Dave Aranda (the defensive coordinator) is one of the best in the business.

Burrow another div.1 QB who has broken all kinds of records coming from the SEC West? Tell that to the NFL scouts.
    And you compare Burrow to where he was three, four yrs ago. You can’t even compare him to last yr.
    My prediction is OSU beats Clemson by at least ten and we see a good game between LSU and OSU. As it should be.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 12-09-2019 at 11:42 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-09-2019), OldMercsRule (12-10-2019), TOP (12-09-2019)

10. #412 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Same thing as happened in our first meeting. Damned Cheese Heads came out, reared their ugly heads in the first half and punched us in the face. Win or lose those fuckers are always tough to play. But like the regular season game they could only hang for one half.
    Yup, we like to give you bastards a challenge... for the first half of games anyway... For some reason we can never seem to play a full 60 minute game against you bastards. But hey, that might've given y'all some decent preparation for the playoff games, and that should've given the Badgers some "anger" as fuel to unleash against Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

After watching the game that Oregon beat Utah, I think the Badgers can take 'em in the Rose Bowl. Oregon's QB doesn't look all that great to me, and it looks like they make their living on mostly run options with some RPOs and other quick short passes mixed in, of which I think the Badgers will match up well against.

The Badgers are a lot better than they get credit for and I think they'll prove that in the Rose Bowl.
    I think so too, and they definitely are a lot better than they get credit for. People don't tend to enjoy their slow methodical "boring" style of offense, and how they typically don't blow teams out of the water on the scoreboard, but their style of play works well for them as they always have great lineman and running backs, and usually only have a serviceable QB at best and a shitty one at worst.

Anyone who thinks those Cheeseheads are a push over need to take a trip to Camp Randal Stadium and find out how tough they are to play. There's few teams who are as hard to beat on their homefield as the Badgers are. They are a well named team.
    Exactly. Play us at Camp Randall and you're in for a challenge.

We should be pretty good again next year if some young RB comes into "RB University" to replace Taylor and immediately starts as a freshman. I don't think our current backup RBs are good enough to fill that kinda role. Our young DBs should be improved next year (already showed flashes of talent this year), and hopefully we can replace the tackling-machine LBs we'll be losing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-09-2019)

12. #413 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL I hate to point it out but give the Badgers some due. They put the heat on his ass in the first half and played well downfield....but keep in mind that he was still the games MVP. I don't think Fields is a top NFL QB prospect. He has serious mechanics issues with his throwing but as a college level spread offense QB with his ability to both run and throw and be a dual threat...he's quite excellent.
    Yup, the Badgers exposed what he needs to work on in order to become a better NFL prospect, but he's got potential for the NFL.

13. #414 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone writing off Jalen Hurts and the Sooners is crazy.

Hurts may be one of the better QBs when he faces a tough pass rush. Plus, he is the only QB in the history of the playoffs to get there, as a starter, all 4 seasons of his eligibility.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

gfm7175 (12-09-2019), Mott the Hoople (12-09-2019)

15. #415 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Hurts may be one of the better QBs when he faces a tough pass rush. Plus, he is the only QB in the history of the playoffs to get there, as a starter, all 4 seasons of his eligibility.
    Their offense should give LSU more than what georgia did but that’s not saying much. I just don’t see their defense stopping LSU.

16. #416 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Yeah, I think all four teams are good teams, and all four teams could easily end up winning it all. While I think that LSU has the most explosive offense of the bunch, I still think that OSU is the most complete team on both sides of the field, and would be able to slow LSU's offense down a bit. But OSU has to get past Clemson first, and LSU past Oklahoma. I foresee that 2nd game as a very high scoring game
    I'm not sure how you can say that when all four teams have scored an average points per game within less than one standard deviation of each other. Statistically the difference in offense by all four teams is not statistically significant. From best to worst it's 2.2 points.

It's in defense where you see the major differences. OSU and Clemson are statistically better than LSU and OK on defense.

17. #417 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Yup, the Badgers exposed what he needs to work on in order to become a better NFL prospect, but he's got potential for the NFL.
    He does but I'd rate him as between a 4th and 6th round draft pick.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

gfm7175 (12-09-2019)

19. #418 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

The only ones I know writing him off are LSU fans. Boy have they been trolling on Social Media and Msg Boards. The same ole trope about OSU...They don't have SEC speed, are to slow, don't play a competative schedule, bla bla bla...I thought we put that nonsense to rest back in 2015.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (12-09-2019)

21. #419 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Their offense should give LSU more than what georgia did but that’s not saying much. I just don’t see their defense stopping LSU.
    I'm reasonably sure that LSU isn't taking anything for granted about the Sooners. The Sooners win more than half their games against top 10 opponents historically. Anyone selling them short doesn't know football. I'm not selling any of the four teams short. Anyone of them can take it. Look at what OSU did in 2015 when the talking heads declared they shouldn't even be in the CFP. They ended up outclassing the field.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (12-09-2019)

23. #420 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not sure how you can say that when all four teams have scored an average points per game within less than one standard deviation of each other. Statistically the difference in offense by all four teams is not statistically significant. From best to worst it's 2.2 points.

It's in defense where you see the major differences. OSU and Clemson are statistically better than LSU and OK on defense.
    I wasn't speaking statistically, and haven't ever looked at any stats. I was just going by the few games that I have seen of each team (except Clemson, as I haven't seen a Clemson game this year).