Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football is back!

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,218 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    Kind of off the topic, wouldn't you say?

But ok. I think the areas with major media centers, like Los Angeles or Dallas will have to show the players they can win championships. That is what will sell a player, far more than access to a major media center. Besides, if the players are great the sponsors come to them, not the other way around.
    Topic is "college football," and this is going to have a huge impact on college football down the road

And I disagree, if USC can tell a kid that he can be doing major marketing in an area as large as Los Angles you think the kid is going to turn down that offer to go to Tuscaloosa and pitch used cars?

Recruits of that caliber, which are largely kids thinking they are going to the NFL regardless of the reality, aren't looking for championships, Kentucky doesn't sell their basketball program based on championships, Calipari is selling NBA avenues, and top recruits in the future will be looking to market themselves, and the larger media areas are going to have a distinct advantage. Think of why the Big Ten went out and recruited Rutgers and Maryland

And nobody is going to Tuscaloosa to find spokesman for their product, especially when there will be more recognized names in the immediate area

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Topic is "college football," and this is going to have a huge impact on college football down the road

And I disagree, if USC can tell a kid that he can be doing major marketing in an area as large as Los Angles you think the kid is going to turn down that offer to go to Tuscaloosa and pitch used cars?

Recruits of that caliber, which are largely kids thinking they are going to the NFL regardless of the reality, aren't looking for championships, Kentucky doesn't sell their basketball program based on championships, Calipari is selling NBA avenues, and top recruits in the future will be looking to market themselves, and the larger media areas are going to have a distinct advantage. Think of why the Big Ten went out and recruited Rutgers and Maryland

And nobody is going to Tuscaloosa to find spokesman for their product, especially when there will be more recognized names in the immediate area
    If a player at UA wins the Heisman or makes headlines with his abilities, the sponsors will come to him. Maybe 30 years ago the player had to be where the media centers were, but the technology has changed.

Nick Saban makes millions in endorsements. He doesn't go to LA or Dallas to do that.

And the ball players go where they can win and where they can learn what it takes to get into the pros. Saban has put a LOT of players in the NFL. In fact, Alabama leads all schools with 56 players in the NFL.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

anonymoose (10-20-2019)

4. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nice interview with Jalen Hurts. He is a class act and a true, quality, team player. I wish him all the best for this year and his future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

anonymoose (10-20-2019)

6. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,491 Times in 7,582 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wisconsin lost to Illinois??? I didn't see that coming.
    Who did? I woulda recorded that game if I thought it would be competitive.
    Alabama gets another scrimmage game next week. We should all hope LSU gets by Auburn so we have another #1 vs #2 matchup. Regardless, it should be good.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

gfm7175 (10-22-2019)

8. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,648 Times in 16,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Alabama gets another scrimmage game next week. We should all hope LSU gets by Auburn so we have another #1 vs #2 matchup. Regardless, it should be good.
    Big Ten channel does replays of all the games if you can get it...edited versions but....
    The Badgers will not be happy for next week's game...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

gfm7175 (10-22-2019)

10. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bama gets Arkansas next week. What team has fallen farther?

Then we get a by week. Hopefully Tua will be back for the game with the Bayou Bengals.

11. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Then we get a by week. Hopefully Tua will be back for the game with the Bayou Bengals.
    Is Tua hurt?
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

12. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    Is Tua hurt?
    Yes. A D lineman rolled on his ankle.

13. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Yes. A D lineman rolled on his ankle.
    "That's a sham"(See Seinfeld cliches)
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

14. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm sure he will be. He hardly looked like he was limping when he walked to the locker room. I bet that 2 decades ago he'd just rest up and do some physical therapy and still be ready.
    Meanwhile it looks like Auburn suffered a hiccup against Florida. That was just a shitty game from both of them. Auburn's looking strong as ever.

Did you see that S.Car. - Florida game? Crappiest officiating I've seen in a long time with the blatant no calls Florida got. Absolutely disgusting. The refs really took that game right out of SC's hands. Not saying SC would've won, but they were given no chance whatsoever in what should've been a very, very competitive game.
    Too bad coaches can't call for replays on bad calls or bad no calls. They do replays for targeting, why not other calls? NFL too. Remember the blatant pass interference no call in the Saints - Rams playoff game last yr.? That took the win away from the Saints. Then there was the Lions - Packers game the other night. Damn shame.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 10-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

gfm7175 (10-22-2019)

16. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I still think Auburn is extremely dangerous to both Bama and LSU. If they play their best they seem quite capable of upsetting LSU and/or Bama, but it's got to be their best. No Florida or Oregon game BS. Bama has had the easiest schedule so far with their two best wins against USCe and A&M, although those were impressive wins. Auburn has had by far the most difficult schedule and still the most difficult to come of those three teams with UGA on the menu.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

gfm7175 (10-22-2019)

18. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,218 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

If a player at UA wins the Heisman or makes headlines with his abilities, the sponsors will come to him. Maybe 30 years ago the player had to be where the media centers were, but the technology has changed.

Nick Saban makes millions in endorsements. He doesn't go to LA or Dallas to do that.

And the ball players go where they can win and where they can learn what it takes to get into the pros. Saban has put a LOT of players in the NFL. In fact, Alabama leads all schools with 56 players in the NFL.
    Really, how many people can even name the last five Heisman trophy winners?

Sabin might make millions in endorsements, but not nationally, and besides he had recognition before he went to Alabama

Now they put players in the NFL, but when the star recruits flock to the big media markets, Alabama will fade, you really think a kid who is promised exposure to say the Atlanta area is going to give that up to go to Alabama? You are thinking today, think twenty years down the road and your understanding will be antiquated

Seeing you didn't comment on the Rutgers Maryland example, I'll give you another, within a decade, the Big East basketball league went from nowhere to the dominate college basketball conference. Why, because they had access to major media markets, they played in NBA buildings, now apply the potential of players making money off of their name to the same scenario. And you still think they are going to flock to Tuscaloosa?

19. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Really, how many people can even name the last five Heisman trophy winners?

Sabin might make millions in endorsements, but not nationally, and besides he had recognition before he went to Alabama

Now they put players in the NFL, but when the star recruits flock to the big media markets, Alabama will fade, you really think a kid who is promised exposure to say the Atlanta area is going to give that up to go to Alabama? You are thinking today, think twenty years down the road and your understanding will be antiquated

Seeing you didn't comment on the Rutgers Maryland example, I'll give you another, within a decade, the Big East basketball league went from nowhere to the dominate college basketball conference. Why, because they had access to major media markets, they played in NBA buildings, now apply the potential of players making money off of their name to the same scenario. And you still think they are going to flock to Tuscaloosa?
    Yes. I see more variety of college football games on Saturdays in Alaska than I do NFL games on Sundays here. The big names are on virtually every Sat. except when they play Slippery Rock.
    Perfect example... growing up in South Louisiana I watch every LSU and Saints game I can. Rarely do I get a Saints game. I get far more LSU games.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 10-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.

20. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

I'm sure he will be. He hardly looked like he was limping when he walked to the locker room. I bet that 2 decades ago he'd just rest up and do some physical therapy and still be ready.
    Meanwhile it looks like Auburn suffered a hiccup against Florida. That was just a shitty game from both of them. Auburn's looking strong as ever.

Did you see that S.Car. - Florida game? Crappiest officiating I've seen in a long time with the blatant no calls Florida got. Absolutely disgusting. The refs really took that game right out of SC's hands. Not saying SC would've won, but they were given no chance whatsoever in what should've been a very, very competitive game.
    Too bad coaches can't call for replays on bad calls or bad no calls. They do replays for targeting, why not other calls? NFL too. Remember the blatant pass interference no call in the Saints - Rams playoff game last yr.? That took the win away from the Saints. Then there was the Lions - Packers game the other night. Damn shame.
    Nothing could be worse then the week after week terrible officials in the NFL!

21. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

I still think Auburn is extremely dangerous to both Bama and LSU. If they play their best they seem quite capable of upsetting LSU and/or Bama, but it's got to be their best. No Florida or Oregon game BS. Bama has had the easiest schedule so far with their two best wins against USCe and A&M, although those were impressive wins. Auburn has had by far the most difficult schedule and still the most difficult to come of those three teams with UGA on the menu.
    Ohio State has played a easy schedule too.
    Might come back to haunt them!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Johnstone For This Post:

gfm7175 (10-22-2019)