Thread: In Defense of Columbus: An Exaggerated Evil

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with your comment.
    Most people viewed Columbus 'as discovering America' and that was about it. No one dwelt upon any of his other traits. Same goes for Jefferson.
    Now, there has become increased awareness of, by today's standards, the faults of these people. Resulting in 'Outrage', that these people should be revered, have Statues in their Honor, or Places named after them. Resulting in the 'Hatred' that you see among the 'Hip & Cool', the PC Fascists, and those that think it's a Good Idea to spread Divisiveness (like Russia and China).

So, in light of this, my opinion is to do what many in Latin America do. 'Dia de la Raza'. Turn something that is causing 'divisiveness' (Columbus Day), ... into something that is 'unifying' (Day of the Race).
    Granted, this will not quell the Faux Outrage of the PC Fascists, nor those that Promote Hate & Divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I do not accept the premise that just because one started hearing more complaints about Columbus, Jefferson, et al. it must mean that “hate” of these men has increased.

I could walk around and ask my neighbors, my relatives, my friends if any of them hate Columbus or Jefferson. And the number that would answer in the affirmative? I predict the probability is exactly zero percent any would say they hate Columbus.

I am by disposition and training inclined to considering multiple hypotheses and alternative explanations.

The equation “More reports of complaints about Columbus" = "Increased hate of Columbus” is not one I am required to accept at face value.

Here is an alternative explanation >>

Until 30 years ago, the news and television media only reported what white men thought. In the white male community, Jefferson and Columbus were thought of as deities, god-like figures beyond reproach.

In the past two decades the media has at least started reporting the opinions of people other than white males. Other American communities.

I seriously doubt that Native indigenous people ever thought of Christopher Columbus as a Saint-like figure that should be worshipped as a deity; a human beyond criticism and reproach.

I seriously doubt that black Americans ever thought of the slave owners Thomas Jefferson and George Washington as their personal heroes, flawless historical figures approaching god-like status.

Wrapping Up: The fact we are seeing more “complaints” about Jefferson and Columbus may not be attributable to increased “hate”. It may very well be that the viewpoints of minority ethnic or socio-economic communities have belatedly filtered into the media and our collective consciousness in a way they did not for the first 200 years of the Republic.

Lesson here - There is never a bad time for introspection and honesty about historical figures.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Cypress (08-29-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Columbus was paid off by Corporate Capitalist to discover America!

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It is not a common thing except in areas with a large indigenous population. He is despised here in Anishinaabe'aki (Ojibwe ancestral lands) as the father of genocide. Every year the Native students and faculty get together to petition the university to celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day rather than Columbus Day.
    There are a lot of White Guilt cucks in New York and California who hate him too. Or, at least, they pretend to hate him to appear woke.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,836 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (08-31-2019), Cypress (08-29-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-29-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,384 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    There are a lot of White Guilt cucks in New York and California who hate him too. Or, at least, they pretend to hate him to appear woke.
    I doubt if Columbus really cares at this point.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-29-2019)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    28 minutes. I don't have time right now to watch that. I think the best solution to this is to do what the Hispanics have done "Dia de La Raza".

"Día de la Raza is the celebration of the Hispanic heritage of Latin America and brings into it all the ethnic and cultural influences making it distinctive.'
    https://www.tripsavvy.com/dia-de-la-raza-1635468

A good way for the US to celebrate it's diverse ethnic heritage.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OK. I went back and listened to it.
    I have no problem with Columbus and the Conquistadors being presented as any other Conquering Group, that's what happened through out History.
    The PC Fascists have all been instructed to 'Hate Columbus', so that's what they do.

My preference is to use 'Columbus' as a unifying figure. 'Dia de la Raza' seems like the perfect route to take. Old World meets New World. A New Race is born. A Celebration of the Diversity.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Leave the name 'Columbus' out of it and just celebrate the Day. 'Dia de la Raza'. I can't think of a more unifying concept. (Leave the details for the historical buffs)

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

History is replete with Stories of Conquest. It was always brutal. Spoils went to the Victor. So ... there shouldn't be any surprises.
    Good, Bad, or Whatever, we have a chance to turn the Event into something Positive, a Day of the Race. A unique way to foster 'unity' among our diverse selves.

I have a friend that can go on and on about 'the genocide and cruelty of Columbus'. It seems to be the current 'two minutes of Hate' used by the PC Fascists with their Trump-like goal of 'Division and Hatred'.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think he was trying to get to China and the Spice Islands?

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"REAGAN PLAYED INFORMANT ROLE FOR FBI IN `40S"
    "As a budding politician in Hollywood`s acting community after World War II, Ronald Reagan was a confidential informant for the FBI, according to records released by the bureau."
    "The FBI documents, obtained by the San Jose Mercury News in a freedom-of- information request, show that Reagan, identified as ''T-10,'' told agents about pro-Communist influences in the Screen Actors Guild and other Hollywood organizations.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...710-story.html

You must not get out much, Cypress. Even Thomas Jefferson is under attack for fucking his slave, Sally Hemmings (his wife's half sister).

"Sarah "Sally" Hemings (c. 1773 – 1835) was an enslaved woman of mixed race owned by President Thomas Jefferson. According to the New York Times, there is a "growing historical consensus" among scholars that, as a widower, Jefferson had a long-term relationship with Hemings, and that he was the father of her six children[1] born after the death of his wife Martha Jefferson, who was the half-sister of Sally Hemings. Four of Hemings' children survived to adulthood.[2] Hemings died in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 1835.[3]"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Most people viewed Columbus 'as discovering America' and that was about it. No one dwelt upon any of his other traits. Same goes for Jefferson.
    Now, there has become increased awareness of, by today's standards, the faults of these people. Resulting in 'Outrage', that these people should be revered, have Statues in their Honor, or Places named after them. Resulting in the 'Hatred' that you see among the 'Hip & Cool', the PC Fascists, and those that think it's a Good Idea to spread Divisiveness (like Russia and China).

So, in light of this, my opinion is to do what many in Latin America do. 'Dia de la Raza'. Turn something that is causing 'divisiveness' (Columbus Day), ... into something that is 'unifying' (Day of the Race).
    Granted, this will not quell the Faux Outrage of the PC Fascists, nor those that Promote Hate & Divisiveness.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I doubt if Columbus really cares at this point.
    He doesn't, but we should. I'm sure you'll disagree, but the media promotes hatred of Columbus because he was a white explorer who is linked with the start of America. It's the same reason they want to tear down Confederate statues. It's not about racism or slavery, it's about Southern culture being seen as a white culture. The establishment wants to take the whiteness out of white Western Civilization, so slowly but surely, all historical white heroes must go.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,384 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    He doesn't, but we should. I'm sure you'll disagree, but the media promotes hatred of Columbus because he was a white explorer who is linked with the start of America. It's the same reason they want to tear down Confederate statues. It's not about racism or slavery, it's about Southern culture being seen as a white culture. The establishment wants to take the whiteness out of white Western Civilization, so slowly but surely, all historical white heroes must go.
    I think you are entirely paranoid -- and wrong -- over this "white culture extermination" bullshit. Don't pardon this pun, but you are thinking in black-and-white parameters. Allowing the minority citizens of this country to have voice and presence in our shared history is not denying whites a voice or presence. Your fixation on this reminds me of Christians who are outraged because they can't put Xtian symbols like creches on public property at Xmas time, or insist that public school kids start each day with prayer, or that the idiocy of creationism be taught in public school science classes. They equate this with "persecution" and claim that we're trying to keep them from practicing their religion. And soon they will be all gone!

You think that the media showing that the bullshit we were taught in history classes as kids has a different POV equals teaching "hate." As many here have already pointed out, no one is teaching anyone to "hate" C. Columbus. They are merely pointing out that his misadventure in landing in this hemisphere led to both discovery, and eventual sorrow for the people who were already here.

BTW, I heard the same kind of bigoted rhetoric when Black History Month was created and publicized.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (08-29-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-29-2019)

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Outside of quasi religious and pagan holidays we probably do not need national holidays for people who are not American .

I do not know why anyone would get stressed about this, to me this is simple and uncomplicated>>

Columbus was a visionary who changed the course of history .

His historical legacy when considered from the perspective of indigenous people of the western hemisphere leaves alot to be desired

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jack (08-30-2019)