Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surprise surprise. Cervical cancer vaccine is dangerous.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Surprise surprise. Cervical cancer vaccine is dangerous.

(CNN) -- A vaccine designed to prevent cervical cancer is coming under fresh scrutiny amid thousands of complaints linking it to a range of health problems.

Gardasil has been the subject of 7,802 "adverse event" reports from the time the Food and Drug Administration approved its use two years ago, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Girls and women have blamed the vaccine for causing ailments from nausea to paralysis -- even death. Fifteen deaths were reported to the FDA, and 10 were confirmed, but the CDC says none of the 10 were linked to the vaccine. The CDC says it continues to study the reports of illness.

Gardasil prevents the spread of human papillomavirus, known as HPV -- a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer in a relatively small number of girls and women.

The vaccine's manufacturer, Merck & Co. Inc., says it has distributed more than 26 million Gardasil vaccines worldwide, including nearly 16 million in the United States. It estimates that 8 million girls and women have received the vaccine in the United States since June 2006. VideoWatch more on complications linked to Gardasil »

Two girls allege in court that the vaccine made them sick.

One -- Jesalee Parsons of Broken Bow, Oklahoma -- got the shot at age 13.

Jesalee's lawyer, Michael McLaren, said she got the shot on February 27, 2007 and soon developed a fever and felt pain. The next day, he said, Jesalee felt pain in her chest and abdomen.

Her mother, Laura Parsons, said Jesalee spent weeks in the hospital and underwent two surgeries after developing pancreatitis. She says the federal government should have studied the drug more before approving its use.

"I just feel let down by the government," Parsons said.

Merck says it could be a coincidence that the girls got sick after receiving the vaccine.

The company said in a statement that an adverse event report "does not mean that a causal relationship between an event and vaccination has been established -- just that the event occurred after vaccination."

Merck said it would continue to evaluate reports of adverse reactions. It said it "updates product labels with new safety information as appropriate."
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Best lines:

Fifteen deaths were reported to the FDA, and 10 were confirmed, but the CDC says none of the 10 were linked to the vaccine.
    The CDC says it continues to study the reports of illness.

Merck says it could be a coincidence that the girls got sick after receiving the vaccine.
    The company said in a statement that an adverse event report "does not mean that a causal relationship between an event and vaccination has been established -- just that the event occurred after vaccination."
    Merck said it would continue to evaluate reports of adverse reactions.

Must be nice to have a govt agency in your pocket.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It could be a coincidence, and it could be a cause. If I were Merck I'd be desperate to find out, and as soon as I had evidence I'd shut it down to stop-gap lawsuits.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who didn't see this coming? My first thought when they started marketing this vaccine and pushing it so hard was the effects it would have on female fertility and harm it could do to unborn children.

Just add it to the list of failed and banned vaccines.
    "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Gov. of Texas tried to make it mandatory for all female children over the age of 13 to be vaccinated with this stuff. There was such a huge hue and cry over it from the populace that the governor was forced to rescind the order, fortunately. Sometimes, if enough speak, our voices can indeed be heard.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

thanks for posting
    I was about to buy Merck again. Guess I'll wait a bit.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm getting tired of this crap. The CDC cant be trusted anymore.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

yep too much pushing too early, but that is the drug compaines wanting to profit and their influence in the govt. And remember vaccine makers are exempt from product liability now.

Hmm I am sure there is no connection with the passage fo that law and the push for this vaccine....of course not.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,910 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Given the evidence Ive seen, Id still vaccinate my daughter.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well statistically speaking it is still safer than playing golf.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    I'm getting tired of this crap. The CDC cant be trusted anymore.
    Oh I’m really glad you posted this because my sister in law recently asked me if I thought she should have by niece vaccinated with this – their doctor was pushing for it.

Oh, and of course, because I wouldn’t want to see Top lose any money. Jesus.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Given the evidence Ive seen, Id still vaccinate my daughter.
    GL.. thy say its not even for sure if it works.. and that it just hides the symptoms.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,910 Times in 21,670 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

The risk of not doing it outweighs the risk of doing it. From my perspective. Luckily with my daughter I will have the benefit of about 13 more years of research before I will need to make that decision.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    The risk of not doing it outweighs the risk of doing it. From my perspective. Luckily with my daughter I will have the benefit of about 13 more years of research before I will need to make that decision.
    Well, for those of us without those further 13 years, I’d say, hold off for now. I’m glad that I recommended to my sil that she wait on this, because the shit never hits the fan right away. No reason to be a guinea pig.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

yeah wtf do doctors and the FDA know. Thank god they have Chap and Dhula.