Members banned from this thread: cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, Robo, canceled.2021.2, Getin the ring, Bobb, Flanders, Earl, Judy Johnstone and Cancel 2020.2

Thread: I Come From A Jewish Military Family. Mr. Trump: Are We Disloyal, Too?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,851 Times in 14,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I Come From A Jewish Military Family. Mr. Trump: Are We Disloyal, Too?

This June, my family made the long journey to Colleville-sur-Mer in France to attend the ceremony for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. On the way to the ceremony, we passed through Norman villages adorned with American, Canadian and French flags, an homage to the brave soldiers who liberated them from Nazi tyranny. On the stage sat a few dozen World War II veterans. Many were in wheelchairs, or bent over by age, but as the National Anthem played, they turned steely eyed, strong, and they showed the mettle and resolve that brought to them to where they stood that day.

I glanced at my father sitting next to me, his eyes soft with tears, clutching an image of his father, his father-in-law and his son, my brother, all in their American military uniforms.

My brother follows in that proud tradition. He is an American soldier currently on his second deployment. My parents installed a flagpole in their yard to fly their American flag high and proud. On Memorial Day, attending the parade to honor fallen soldiers happens before the family BBQ, a small small gesture of appreciation for the selfless service the military shows day in and day out.

We are constantly worried for my brother’s safety, and the safety of his unit. Calls from him that end abruptly after hearing a siren in the background set our teeth on edge until we receive another either hours later, or sometimes a day, saying “I’m okay.”

We are proud Americans and we are proud liberal Jews. Those two identities have never been pitted against one another, until this past week, when the President and two elected Congresswomen called our identities, and values, into question.

When my brother joined the military, he was not asked his political affiliation or who he voted for. He was asked if he was prepared to embody the Army’s values: Loyalty to country, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage.

The military fights honorably, irrespective of the administration in power; administrations and presidents come and go, and though their legacies may continue, they are but temporary stewards of this country. But flag and country are everlasting and that is why we pledge our allegiance to them.

So, there is nothing altruistic, honorable or genuine in Trump’s so called “defense” of the Jews and Israel. His expectation of something in return from the Jewish community is frightening. Will he impose consequences if we do not reciprocate? He has proven to be vindictive enough, even to our allies.

What he fails to comprehend is that though his morals and values blow in a different direction every time the wind rolls in, ours are unwavering. Our “lack of knowledge” comes not from blind loyalty but our ability to hold two truths at once: that the left and right can both, at the same time, peddle anti-Semitism.

https://forward.com/opinion/430144/i...-disloyal-too/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-24-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

If your family does not vote for Daffy, you are all being disloyal. Trump demands loyalty first from every position he fills. Trump is America now.