Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida man found guilty of manslaughter in parking lot shooting that led to 'Stand Y

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,461 Times in 9,070 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,425 Times in 1,254 Posts

Default Florida man found guilty of manslaughter in parking lot shooting that led to 'Stand Y

Florida man found guilty of manslaughter in parking lot shooting that led to 'Stand Your Ground' trial

Clearwater, Florida (CNN)Michael Drejka, who fatally shot an unarmed man, Markeis McGlockton, last summer in Florida during a dispute over a handicapped-accessible parking spot, was found guilty of manslaughter Friday night.

The judge set the sentencing date for October 10. Drejka faces up to 30 years in prison.

Drejka, who didn't take the witness stand, tried unsuccessfully to use Florida's "stand your ground' law as a defense for justifiable homicide. The case renewed a nationwide debate on the controversial law.

Jury deliberations lasted about six hours, with a brief pause around 9:30 p.m. when jurors sought clarification on the instructions for deciding guilt or innocence.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/us/fl...jka/index.html

The verdict was correct, it was a case of murder and a display of cowardice too?!!
    The stand your ground law, is a law for cowards and wimps, it gives courage to people who have none?!!

Last edited by signalmankenneth; 08-24-2019 at 06:29 AM.

2. The Following User Groans At signalmankenneth For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-24-2019)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (08-24-2019), christiefan915 (08-24-2019), evince (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), Mott the Hoople (09-06-2019), Phantasmal (08-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-24-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's good to know that the more aggressive types now have the green light to push the cowards and whimps to the ground at will.
    (and finally a ruling on those Handicap Parking Spaces ... why should it just be for the Handicapped?)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Nomad (08-24-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like justice was done.

Although I have to wonder if the original infraction was addressed: "The incident began when Drejka confronted and began yelling at McGlockton's girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, who was parked with two of her children in a handicapped-accessible spot outside a Circle A food store."

Was Britany Jacobs ticketed for parking in a handicap spot? It has been well established that she did that.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-24-2019)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,189 Times in 52,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Although I have to wonder if the original infraction was addressed: "The incident began when Drejka confronted and began yelling at McGlockton's girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, who was parked with two of her children in a handicapped-accessible spot outside a Circle A food store."

Was Britany Jacobs ticketed for parking in a handicap spot? It has been well established that she did that.
    I wonder why Drejka thought that he was the parking lot police, anyways? Because he was carrying around his little bang-bang?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

domer76 (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), signalmankenneth (08-24-2019)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,628 Times in 14,251 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,383 Times in 1,301 Posts

Technically not parked. She was standing. If someone pulled up with a sticker, she could have moved. I'm sure there were other handicapped spots available. I seem to remember an empty parking lot.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I wonder why Drejka thought that he was the parking lot police, anyways? Because he was carrying around his little bang-bang?
    Yea...he claims that it's a 'pet peeve'. I think his MIL has a handicapped sticker.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Florida man found guilty of manslaughter in parking lot shooting that led to 'Stand Your Ground' trial

Clearwater, Florida (CNN)Michael Drejka, who fatally shot an unarmed man, Markeis McGlockton, last summer in Florida during a dispute over a handicapped-accessible parking spot, was found guilty of manslaughter Friday night.

The judge set the sentencing date for October 10. Drejka faces up to 30 years in prison.

Drejka, who didn't take the witness stand, tried unsuccessfully to use Florida's "stand your ground' law as a defense for justifiable homicide. The case renewed a nationwide debate on the controversial law.

Jury deliberations lasted about six hours, with a brief pause around 9:30 p.m. when jurors sought clarification on the instructions for deciding guilt or innocence.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/us/fl...jka/index.html

The verdict was correct, it was a case of murder and a display of cowardice too?!!
    The stand your ground law, is a law for cowards and wimps, it gives courage to people who have none?!!

The headlines got this wrong. He abandoned SYG and went simply with self defense.

What I want to know, is the racial makeup of the jury?

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,535 Times in 17,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,236 Times in 3,040 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, Mujer de Bujo, if you don’t like guns, don’t own one and don’t call a cop with a gun when you need help.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Well, Mujer de Bujo, if you don’t like guns, don’t own one and don’t call a cop with a gun when you need help.
    Better yet...call a cop when you don't like someone's parking infraction

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), Mott the Hoople (09-06-2019)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Yea...he claims that it's a 'pet peeve'. I think his MIL has a handicapped sticker.
    Too bad. My youngest daughter has one too, but I never pay any attention to whoever is parked in a handicap spot. It's not my job to accost ppl for that but apparently this idiot thought that it was *his.* I hope they give him a long sentence.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), Phantasmal (08-24-2019)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Better yet...call a cop when you don't like someone's parking infraction
    Agreed, Mujer de gato.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

I'd say he was harboring a grudge and just wanted to vent at Jacobs. I mean after all, what was the point of getting into it with her? He had no power to write a citation. She already decided to park there in a well marked handicap space. It's not like she was about to move just because some stranger comes up and gives her a ration. She expected McGlockton to be right back out. She was in the car and could easily begin pulling away if a police car pulled up.

If Drejka wanted to do something about the parking infraction he could have called police to report it. But I think he suspected that would be pointless as she was already behind the wheel and able to pull away at a moment's notice. She may have even had the engine running with the AC on. It was July in Florida.

Yeah, we do have to wonder if he would have been so bold to get into somebody else's business if he wasn't armed.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-24-2019)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah, we do have to wonder if he would have been so bold to get into somebody else's business if he wasn't armed.
    That's the trouble with concealed carry in some areas. Packing a firearm seems to encourage poor behavior.

She's thankfully in remission now, but when my daughter was having a flare-up (she has MS) a few years ago, they were accosted by some virtue-signaling prig like that, in a restaurant. She was using a cane at the time, but had forgotten to bring it, so her husband helped her walk the short distance to the entrance. Some older guy got in their face about them using the handicap spot because neither one of them displayed a visible disability. I guess she should have removed a limb or something. People can be assholes for sure.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (08-24-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-24-2019), PoliTalker (08-24-2019)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's the trouble with concealed carry in some areas. Packing a firearm seems to encourage poor behavior.

She's thankfully in remission now, but when my daughter was having a flare-up (she has MS) a few years ago, they were accosted by some virtue-signaling prig like that, in a restaurant. She was using a cane at the time, but had forgotten to bring it, so her husband helped her walk the short distance to the entrance. Some older guy got in their face about them using the handicap spot because neither one of them displayed a visible disability. I guess she should have removed a limb or something. People can be assholes for sure.
    Well, no, Mujer de Buho.

Packing a firearm has saved many innocent lives.

The NRA Magazine lists thousands of instances where law-abiding citizens defend themselves successfully.

Perhaps you should sunscibe and learn what self-defense really is all about.

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Althea,

Technically not parked. She was standing. If someone pulled up with a sticker, she could have moved. I'm sure there were other handicapped spots available. I seem to remember an empty parking lot.
    Well, the crazy thing is the handicap spot is over at the side of the building and there were other spots that were closer to the front door.