Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atmospheric CO2 hits landmark 415 ppm -- OPEN DISCUSSION

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,858 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Default Atmospheric CO2 hits landmark 415 ppm -- OPEN DISCUSSION

Removing this thread from the Kiddie Pool for anyone who wishes to participate.

Here is the OP in its entirety...

Carbon dioxide levels hit landmark at 415 ppm; highest in human history

Carbon dioxide levels in Earth's atmosphere hit a stunning milestone over the weekend.

Data from the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii showed that carbon dioxide levels surpassed 415 parts per million Friday.

"We don't know a planet like this;" Eric Holthaus; a meteorologist and writer at Grist; wrote on Twitter.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations have skyrocketed far higher than any levels in at least the past 800;000 years; data from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California-San Diego and other sources show; and levels have not been this high for millions of years; Holthaus said.

"This is the first time in human history our planet's atmosphere has had more than 415 ppm CO2;" he tweeted. "Not just in recorded history; not just since the invention of agriculture 10;000 years ago. Since before modern humans existed millions of years ago."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...st/1186417001/

Australia faces 'world-first' climate change human rights case

Torres Strait Islanders say Australia's failure to tackle climate change puts their homeland and culture in danger.

Indigenous people from the low-lying Torres Strait Islands off Australia's northeast coast will file a landmark complaint with the United Nations on Monday; accusing the government of breaching their human rights by failing to tackle climate change.

The eight Torres Strait Islanders will tell the UN Human Rights Committee in the Swiss city of Geneva that rising seas caused by global warming are threatening their homelands and culture; according to lawyers representing the group.

ClientEarth; an environmental law non-profit organisation that is backing the case; said it was the first to be lodged with the UN linking alleged government inaction on climate change to the violation of human rights.
    The islanders say Australia's government has no policies in place to meet the country's emissions reduction target and is pushing the interests of the fossil fuel industries.

In their complaint; the islanders ask the UN to find that international human rights law requires Australia to reduce its emissions to at least 65 percent below 2005 levels by 2030. The country should become carbon neutral by 2050; phasing out its use and export of coal completely; they argue.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...050431042.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Into the Night (08-23-2019), Truth Detector (08-23-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First off, it is not possible to measure global CO2 levels. CO2 is not uniformly spread throughout the atmosphere. We don't have near enough CO2 stations (such as Mauna Loa) to even begin such an analysis. These stations would need to be uniformly spread out and simultaneously read by the same observer to remove location and time biases. Raw data needs to be used, and Mauna Loa has been known to cook their data.

This is a bunch of random numbers... These quacks have no clue what happened 800,000 years ago, or millions of years ago... They're making shit up...

If anyone is able to define "climate change", I would be interested to hear WTF that even means, and would also be interested to hear precisely how a climate can "change". Same goes for "global warming".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Stretch (08-23-2019), Truth Detector (08-23-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    the planet's hosed

at this point it doesn't matter that 30% of Americans are too stupid to get it............
    Made up number.

the multi-nationals running the world economy will add more CO2 to make more money whether those assholes get it or not, and China is still bringing coal plants on line
    CO2 cannot heat the Earth's surface. The surface is already warmer. Heat only flows from hot to cold, not the other way around...

I try to stay optimistic thinking maybe advanced carbon sequestration technology might come to be, but the MONEY to be made by big energy is the motivator for this insanity
    Why are you so scared of CO2?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-23-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The Paris agreement reached international consensus that we have to leave as much remaining hydrocarbons in the ground as possible, and not extract and burn them.
    Good for them. I say 'fuck you' to those morons...

So there is no question that scientists and world governments understand that adding tens of billions more tons of heat-trapping greenhouse gases to the atmosphere is a non-starter.
    Those "scientists" and world governments are rejecting science in favor of their fundamentalist religion. There is no such thing as "greenhouse gases". Heat cannot be "trapped".

As you correctly point out, there is a powerful incentive for oligarchs and oil barons to want to extract and burn the remaining trillions of barrels of oil equivalent left in the ground. They are being asked to walk away from trillions of dollars in profit. That is a tough pill for them to swallow.
    Why should they? Oil works great, and it is even renewable too!! Why not make use of such a wonderful resource?

While the primary underlying causes of the climatic warming of the last century are well understood at this point,
    Religious belief. How do you know that the Earth is warming? What time period are you talking about? Why is that time period "sacred" compared to any other time period?

I do not think the science is settled on the ultimate consequences of global warming.
    Science is never "settled"... Define "global warming".

Assessments range from marginally bad to catastrophic. I personally think it is better to err on the side of being conservative and preparing for the possibility of something approaching a worst case scenario.
    Pascal's Wager Fallacy.

I also think most people forget to think about the upsides that come from reducing hydrocarbon pollution, perfecting and improving green energy sources, and economic benefit from new technologies and industries.
    Spending trillions of dollars to completely re-do our energy infrastructure from scratch, in order to appease the fundamentalist Church of Global Warming, is asinine at best. Let the free market dictate what energy sources we make use of... It's worked well for us.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    The issue isn't toxicity; the issue is increasing amounts of CO2 accelerating climate change. You yourself have said that you in your journeys around the globe you've seen plenty of evidence of climate change. What is the issue to you -- economics?
    Define "climate change"...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

Because when we are down to cracking jokes about global warming it tells me the science is settled,
    Science is never settled.

and there is no serious and credible body of science that refutes the human impact on climate.
    See the Laws of Thermodynamics.
    See the Stefan Boltzmann Law.
    See Planck's Law.

Where we end up is what reputable climate scientists were saying more than a decade ago:
    "Climate scientists" are anything BUT...

it is unequivocal that the Earth system is warming,
    Religious belief. We don't know whether it is warming, cooling, or staying the same... It is not possible to measure global temperature.

we know with a extremely high degree of scientific confidence that most of the recent warming is due to human activities,
    Not science. Religion.

and we have reasonable scientific confidence that adverse impacts to humans, the environment, and ecosystems will range from moderately bad to catastrophically bad.
    Not science. Religion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

I provided you a link to a highly prestigious scientific journal which stated that toxicity to humans is not the issue we are primarily concerned about with increasing CO2 in the atmosphere.
    "Scientific" journals are not science. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

You have no training or expertise in climate science,
    "Climate science" is not science. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

you have done no peer reviewed research in climate science,
    Peer review is not science either...

you have not published in prestigious science journals,
    Publications and scientific journals are not science either...

and therefore your claims and assertions on an obscure message board do not cut the mustard. They have zero credibility. They are of no consequence.
    Bulverism.

And they do nothing to affect the overwhelming global consensus of the international climate science community.
    Consensus is not science either...

Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

from Kiddie Pool...

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    Dangerously rapid global warming.
    Define "global warming"...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do have to laugh at Cypress ban list. He doesn't want a discussion, he wants an echo chamber of stupidity.

Members banned from this thread: Blissful Wizard, AssHatZombie, The Anonymous, I<3Possums, USFREEDOM911, Havana Moon, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Cornelius, Teflon Don, J Craft, Dark Soul, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, Superfreak, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy, Earl and Nate Higgers
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Into the Night (08-23-2019)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,686 Times in 27,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Removing this thread from the Kiddie Pool for anyone who wishes to participate.
    The vast majority of the posters on my ban list are not even established posters. Plenty of conservatives post on my threads, which are extremely popular and interesting to read if the amount of time you spend finding them and plagiarizing them is any indication.

Here is the reason I have zero interest - none, nada, zilch - in discussing scientific topics with you. I consider my time valuable, and I am not going to waste it on an obscure poster who claims to know more about science than the United States National Academies of Sciences.

From an obscure and anonymous message board poster >>>

gfm7174: "There is no such thing as a "scientific consensus"... A consensus is NOT science!"

From the nation's foremost prestigious science organization >>>

The U.S. National Academy of Sciences: We seek, facilitate, and publish scientific consensus reports

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...53#post2947253
    Last edited by Cypress; 08-23-2019 at 11:19 AM.

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,413 Times in 53,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

The vast majority of the posters on my ban list are not even established posters. Plenty of conservatives post on my threads, which are extremely popular and interesting to read if the amount of time you spend finding them and plagiarizing them is any indication.

Here is the reason I have zero interest - none, nada, zilch - in discussing scientific topics with you. I consider my time valuable, and I am not going to waste it on an obscure poster who claims to know more about science than the United States National Academies of Sciences.
    I have the moron on ignore as well, but see from the notifications he must have pulled a quote of mine from another discussion. Here, feel free to use this every time you encounter a science-denying dumbass. lol

"Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

STFU you whiny hack. You wallow in a self made bubble of ignorance and stupidity. You're love of echo chambers and pathological lying have few peers.

The reason you have zero interest is because you don't like to be constantly proven to be a ,low IQ idiot. Your time is valuable; yet you spend immense amounts of it here desperately trying to remove any doubt what a repugnant, low IQ asshole you really are. We get it. Move on!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

gfm7175 (08-23-2019)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,686 Times in 27,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I have the moron on ignore as well, but see from the notifications he must have pulled a quote of mine from another discussion. Here, feel free to use this every time you encounter a science-denying dumbass. lol

Ha!
    Reserving your brain power for the reasonably intelligent, honest, or at least entertaining is always a good message board strategy.

Any obscure poster claiming to know more about science than the U.S. National Academy of Science is a poster willing to engage in abject dishonesty, and unwarranted posing as an phony armchair expert. Who wants to waste their time on that?

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFOwlWoman View Post
    Irony; a moron who doesn't know she is a moron.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

gfm7175 (08-23-2019)