Thread: pit bull saves man from shark

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,498 Times in 52,726 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    Pit bulls can be big babies what makes them dangerous is they can turn in an instant for no apparent reason, granted all dogs can suddenly attack but it is more prevalent in Pit Bulls.
    Exactly. Plus their strength and bite force make it more likely to cause serious damage. Of the hundreds of different dog breeds in the U.S., pit bulls are responsible for 66% of the fatal dog attacks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#23ef456462f8
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,417 Times in 16,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pit bulls can be big babies what makes them dangerous is they can turn in an instant for no apparent reason, granted all dogs can suddenly attack but it is more prevalent in Pit Bulls.
    Too much inbreeding causes many of the issues...in addition to irresponsible owners... So, if you have a pit bull "type" you need to be aware...it's like that with many breeds/types....

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

"I'm fine. It's just punctured an artery." LOL

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Exactly. Plus their strength and bite force make it more likely to cause serious damage. Of the hundreds of different dog breeds in the U.S., pit bulls are responsible for 66% of the fatal dog attacks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#23ef456462f8
    When my parents lived in Tampa they had two after they had been burglarized twice. Both were gentle with family but would attack strangers. Plus they had to stay separated or they would kill each other. These were guard dogs not pets, that taught me never to trust one. Anyone who has children and has a Pitt for a pet is crazy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Mason Michaels (08-23-2019)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When my parents the lived in Tampa had two after they had been burglarized twice. Both were gentle with family but would attack strangers. Plus they had to stay separated or they would kill each other. These were guard dogs not pets, that taught me never to trust one. Anyone who has children and has a Pitt for a pet is crazy.
    Were they trained to be guard dogs? Lots of friends here with Pit types and children...None of them are "crazy"...I can assure you
    We have a bully now we're fostering....she's wonderful with children...other dogs...cats...strangers...
    Every dog is different....

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Too much inbreeding causes many of the issues...in addition to irresponsible owners... So, if you have a pit bull "type" you need to be aware...it's like that with many breeds/types....
    The breed was created for killing rats.
    The blood sport of "bull baiting" began over 1,000 years ago in England (various sources dispute this date). What is undisputed is that by 1500, bull baiting had progressed to Britain's national pastime. Bulldogs were reportedly first mentioned by name in 1631, referring to their function rather than a distinct dog breed. By 1800, and through further selective breeding, the bulldog developed into a compact muscular dog characterized by tremendous jaw strength.4
    Due to public outrage, bull baiting was banned in England in 1835. Bulldog breeders and owners then moved to the sport of "ratting," where a number of rats were placed into a pit and wagers were made on how many rats the dog could kill in a certain time period. To increase agility, quickness and prey-drive in the bulldog, ratters crossed the breed with terriers. Essentially, it was the sport of ratting that combined the bulldog and terrier into the modern day pit bull terrier.
    On the heels of ratting, dogfighting developed. Pit bulls and dogfighting were exported to America as settlers made their way to the New World. In 1884, the American Kennel Club was formed but rejected pit bulls due to their use in dogfighting. In response, Chauncey Z. Bennett formed the United Kennel Club in 1898 to bring formal recognition to the pit bull breed. At that time, Bennett also drew up rules and regulations for dogfighting to bring "organization" to the blood sport.5
    https://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-d...aq.php#history

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The breed was created for killing rats.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-d...aq.php#history
    I can't believe you posted something from that site...but OK...I respect your opinion...we will just have to agree to disagree on some things when it comes to this type of dog...we are always respectful and mindful when it comes to working or dealing with any dog

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Were they trained to be guard dogs? Lots of friends here with Pit types and children...None of them are "crazy"...I can assure you
    We have a bully now we're fostering....she's wonderful with children...other dogs...cats...strangers...
    Every dog is different....
    No they weren't. My daughter and her husband had a Pit and a regular old mutt both about the same age. They played together and got along fine. The kids went on vacation and had us feed the dogs while the were gone. I went over to feed them only to find the Pit had killed the other dog. I don't like nor trust the breed. I'm not saying all of them are like that but why take a chance?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Mason Michaels (08-23-2019), ThatOwlWoman (08-23-2019)

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No they weren't. My daughter and her husband had a Pit and a regular old mutt both about the same age. They played together and got along fine. The kids went on vacation and had us feed the dogs while the were gone. I went over to feed them only to find the Pit had killed the other dog. I don't like nor trust the breed.
    OK....nor do you have to-you had a very upsetting, tragic experience...I just feel differently...

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can't believe you posted something from that site...but OK...I respect your opinion...we will just have to agree to disagree on some things when it comes to this type of dog...we are always respectful and mindful when it comes to working or dealing with any dog
    It doesn't matter the history of the breed is the same no matter what site you look at.
    The History of Pit Bulls
    The history of the Pit Bull can be traced back to the early 1800’s in the United Kingdom. Pit Bulls were originally bred from Old English Bulldogs (these dogs are similar in appearance to today’s American Bulldog) who gained their popularity on the British Isles in a cruel blood sport known as “bull baiting”. One to two Bulldogs were set to harass a bull for hours until the animal collapsed from fatigue, injuries or both. These matches were held for the entertainment of the struggling classes; a source of relief from the tedium of hardship.
    However, in 1835 the British Parliament enacted the Cruelty to Animals Act 1835, which prohibited the baiting of some animals such as the bull and bear. Once bull and bear baiting was outlawed, the public turned their attention to “ratting”. This practice pitted dogs against rats in which they were timed to see whose dog would kill the most rats in the least amount of time. The “pit” in Pit Bull comes from ratting as the rats were placed into a pit so that they could not escape. Ultimately, the public turned their eyes upon dog fighting as it was more easily hidden from view and thus the law. Ratting and dog fighting both required more agility and speed on the part of the dog, so Bulldogs were crossed with Terriers “Bull and Terriers”, more commonly known as the first Pit Bull Terrier.
    Despite their tenacity and determination in battle, commoners actually bred pit bull terriers with some of the same qualities and traits that we still love about them to this day. Through selective breeding and culling, bite inhibition towards humans was greatly encouraged. Gamblers had to be sure that they could enter a pit and handle their dogs in close proximity without the danger of being bit themselves. If a dog bit a human, it was usually culled.
    Shortly before the Civil War, immigrants from the British Isles came to the United States, but along with them came their Pit Bulls. It was during this time that the Pit Bull Terrier breed was named the “American” Pit Bull Terrier. Though these dogs had been specifically bred for fighting, they soon became a much larger and invaluable fixture in a developing nation. In early America, these frontier dogs took on an all-purpose role. They were responsible for herding cattle, herding sheep, guarding livestock and families from thieves and wild animals, helping on the hunts and as hog catchers. Their loyal and loving demeanor with humans, especially children (this is where the “Nanny Dog” myth originated from), earned them a prominent place not only as a working dog, but as a companion. Check out our friends at Bad Rap’s, Vintage Photo Gallery.
    http://love-a-bull.org/resources/the...-of-pit-bulls/

This from a pro Pit Bull site.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-23-2019)

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,498 Times in 52,726 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK....nor do you have to-you had a very upsetting, tragic experience...I just feel differently...
    Of course. I'm sure you remember the JPP member who posted about how their family dog, a pit bull, killed their child. As I recall you muttered some inane condolences, then went right back to vigorously defending the murderous breed. What's wrong with you?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-26-2019)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pits have suffered as a breed from bad breeding and anti social training.
    This is unfortunate.
    But they're just the next in a long line of dogs bred for this behavior.
    Behind every bad dog is a group of bad humans who made them that way.
    Should you be careful around any dog you don't know well? Absolutely.
    Should you be mindful of territorial or other instincts that drive behavior? Absolutely.
    Should you teach your kids these things? Duh.
    Even a lab will snap if pressed.
    And that 7 lb toy is scared of everything so watch them. My old miniature pinscher would growl and snap at you if you git between him and food.
    It's all about mutual respect.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

TOP (08-23-2019)

18. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

It seems the last people on earth that should have a pit.Are the very people who want a pit.
    Saw it all the time in da hood in Toledo.
    I'm always leary around them.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with me.

20. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I feel safer when a coyote walks by out here,then if I see a pit.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?