Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAGA Manufacturing sector contracts for the first time in nearly a decade

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf MAGA Manufacturing sector contracts for the first time in nearly a decade

U.S. manufacturer growth slowed to the lowest level in almost 10 years in August, the latest sign that the trade war may be exacerbating the economic slowdown.

The U.S. manufacturing PMI (purchasing managers’ index) was 49.9 in August, down from 50.4 in July and below the neutral 50.0 threshold for the first time since September 2009, according to IHS Markit.

Any reading below 50 signals a contraction. The survey is an initial reading for the month of August. The final figure will be released Sept. 3.

“Manufacturing companies continued to feel the impact of slowing global economic conditions,” Tim Moore, economics associate director at Markit, said in a statement Thursday. “August’s survey data provides a clear signal that economic growth has continued to soften in the third quarter.”

Manufacturing had been one of the big winners during the Trump administration, but the tit-for-tat tariffs in the U.S.-China trade war have taken a big bite from the sector. U.S. manufacturing activity slowed to a nearly three-year low in July, based on data from the Institute for Supply Management.

But this fresh survey showed new orders received by manufacturers dropped the most in 10 years, while the data also showed export sales tanked to the lowest level since August 2009.

Investors track PMI readings to get early indicators as to where the economy is headed. After the Markit reading, stocks fell and the yield curve inverted.

“The most concerning aspect of the latest data is a slowdown in new business growth to its weakest in a decade, driven by a sharp loss of momentum across the service sector,” Moore said. “Survey respondents commented on a headwind from subdued corporate spending as softer growth expectations at home and internationally encouraged tighter budget setting.”

Manufacturers continued to reduce their inventories this month, which was mainly attributed to concerns about the demand outlook, according to Markit.

The overall economy is still showing a slight expansion because of help from the service industry. U.S. overall business activity growth also fell to a three-month low as the seasonally adjusted IHS Markit Flash U.S. Composite PMI Output Index dropped to 50.9 in August, signalling a “renewed slowdown” in the rate of U.S. private sector business activity growth, Markit said.

There are several readings of manufacturing activities coming next week with the Dallas Fed sentiment data on Monday and Chicago PMI on Aug. 30.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

I'm tired of all this "winning".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-22-2019), LV426 (08-22-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lately I have been wondering if the dropping gas prices are a possible indicator of a coming recession.

Fewer manufacturing orders, means fewer trucks on the road, less demand for fuel. The trucking industry is already in recession.

Drilling, pumping and refining have all been running high, but now there is less demand, so prices have been dropping. The more that continues, the more people in the oil and gas business begin to lose jobs.

Loss of manufacturing jobs, less driving all sounds like things slowing down. The economy is slowing down. How much will it slow? Wall Street is jittery. We've had plenty of these big scare days when everything plummets. Each time it comes back up within a day or so, but what if it doesn't?

The biggest intangible in all this is confidence. Trump has married himself to the DOW, and Trump is pretty unpredictable. The economy wants confidence to make long term investments, so without that confidence, those investments are not being made. The DOW is just as erratic as Trump. Trump has made big plunges before, going bankrupt numerous times. Panic could set in.

Rising gas prices indicate confidence. Falling gas prices indicate the opposite. Possibly a recession.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-23-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    I'm tired of all this "winning".
    I'm weary of all this whining.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Earl (08-23-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Lately I have been wondering if the dropping gas prices are a possible indicator of a coming recession.

Fewer manufacturing orders, means fewer trucks on the road, less demand for fuel. The trucking industry is already in recession.

Drilling, pumping and refining have all been running high, but now there is less demand, so prices have been dropping. The more that continues, the more people in the oil and gas business begin to lose jobs.

Loss of manufacturing jobs, less driving all sounds like things slowing down. The economy is slowing down. How much will it slow? Wall Street is jittery. We've had plenty of these big scare days when everything plummets. Each time it comes back up within a day or so, but what if it doesn't?

The biggest intangible in all this is confidence. Trump has married himself to the DOW, and Trump is pretty unpredictable. The economy wants confidence to make long term investments, so without that confidence, those investments are not being made. The DOW is just as erratic as Trump. Trump has made big plunges before, going bankrupt numerous times. Panic could set in.

Rising gas prices indicate confidence. Falling gas prices indicate the opposite. Possibly a recession.
    I have an idea, you and nutter nation keep cheering for a recession
    great strategy heading into the Prez election cycle
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Earl (08-23-2019), Truth Detector (08-22-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    I have an idea, you and nutter nation keep cheering for a recession reat strategy heading into the Prez election cycle
    Deluding yourself into thinking this shit economy is good is not a good strategy heading into an election year where a recession is almost inevitable.

This recession was caused entirely by Conservatism.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

11. The Following User Groans At LV426 For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-23-2019)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

John Barron (08-22-2019)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

whatever you say

good luck
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Earl (08-23-2019), Truth Detector (08-22-2019)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Deluding yourself into thinking this shit economy is good is not a good strategy heading into an election year where a recession is almost inevitable.
    This recession was caused entirely by Conservatism.
    ^^Delusional dumb fuck.

Yep, great strategy. Declare 60,526,852 voters as morons and cheer for an economic recession that will destroy jobs and lives. See ya in 2020!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Earl (08-23-2019)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There was a huge drop in oil prices when the genius announced the additional 10% tariff tax on Americans......

& the speculators were correct about the slowing world economies.. If they are slowling down-oil consumption goes down........

Having the genius going around every day assuring everyone we are not going into a recession is not helpful nor a good sales tactic as any marketing 101 student can tell you......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    There was a huge drop in oil prices when the genius announced the additional 10% tariff tax on Americans......

& the speculators were correct about the slowing world economies.. If they are slowling down-oil consumption goes down........

Having the genius going around every day assuring everyone we are not going into a recession is not helpful nor a good sales tactic as any marketing 101 student can tell you......
    talking up the economy in place of the IMMINENT RECESSION fear is the way to go

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (08-23-2019), Truth Detector (08-23-2019)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Why do politicians and consumers complain about higher gas prices then?

(and where do you live that you see falling gas prices? You’re telling me $4/gallon is a sign of a recession?)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Bill,

THAT's for sure!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

22. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-23-2019)

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    talking up the economy in place of the IMMINENT RECESSION fear is the way to go
    lol, trying to con ppl into believing him over their own eyes & experience may work for you, but not the rest of us...

Lots of ppl were not fearing a recession, well until he started telling us it wasn't going to happen.....

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

lol, trying to con ppl into believing him over their own eyes & experience may work for you, but not the rest of us...

Lots of ppl were not fearing a recession, well until he started telling us it wasn't going to happen.....
    POTUS job is to talk it up (within reason)but for sure their is a worldwide global slowdowm
    Germany actually contracted last year.
    I'm going to wait for these figures to be revised.but the economy is good -bringing it in on a soft landing is the key

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I just hope he does not wag the dog during the campaign...........