Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento Hair Salon Owner Says Homeless Crisis Is Forcing Her Out Of Town

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I used to think we’d reach a tipping point in SF regarding homelessness, similar to NYC and crime in the early ‘90’s, but we never have. Maybe Sacramento will approach it differently than we do. TBH I don’t know all the dynamics of your local politics and if the will to do something will be there.
    The problem is similar to SF...… There are several local groups that have been here for many years & now there are more but they keep coming.....

In a large part, IMHO, it falls on the mayor (accommodating them). I have met him many times & he is certainly a good person & has "good intentions" but the problem has only gotten worse. He even allows them to camp around city hall (there are no facilities, closest is about a block away)-twice he has berated the cops for removing them....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    .................................................. .......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    Just think. All that effort to read my post, respond with a long and verbose written response, and supported by internet research and links....and yet I did not read a single word you wrote!

All I can think is that my writing is extremely interesting for a certain subset of wingnuts who relentlessly follow me around, make it a point to read everything I write, and continuously write to me hoping for my attention, even as I consistently ignore them.

I don't know whether to be flattered by the rapt attention to my writing....or whether to be creeped out!

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prefacing this by saying there is no easy solution to homelessness and there's no snap your fingers solutions that will instantly turn this problem around. With that said who are the "experts" that we're supposed to turn to deal with this? Having lived where I have for as long as I have I may not be an "expert" but I've seen things only get worse while all these "experts" have been working on the problem. "Regular people" are just as qualified to talk about this issue as any so-called expert.
    It is a problem that dates back to the 60's. The severe impact of these poor decisions to close institutions and supplant them with boutique health facilities is a massive Progressive leftist failure.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (08-21-2019)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    Good point, Bill. And a great song by Bo, thanks for posting!

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Just think. All that effort to read my post, respond with a long and verbose written response, and supported by internet research and links....and yet I did not read a single word you wrote!

All I can think is that my writing is extremely interesting for a certain subset of wingnuts who relentlessly follow me around, make it a point to read everything I write, and continuously write to me hoping for my attention.

I don't know whether to be flattered by the rapt attention to my writing....or whether to be creeped out!
    Just think; something you're obviously incapable of doing. Yes, we get it. You prefer wallowing in ignorance and echo chambers.

Translation to this buffoonish post:

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The problem is similar to SF...… There are several local groups that have been here for many years & now there are more but they keep coming.....

In a large part, IMHO, it falls on the mayor (accommodating them). I have met him many times & he is certainly a good person & has "good intentions" but the problem has only gotten worse. He even allows them to camp around city hall (there are no facilities, closest is about a block away)-twice he has berated the cops for removing them....
    Interesting. Leaving policy solutions aside for the moment it will ultimately comes down to how much voters can stomach. When they get fed up enough they'll put someone in office (regardless of party) who will do something about it. Until then we continue down this path...

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    LOL! It's where I live. Sacto is nothing even remotely like Baltimore, silly meth-head.
    HOMIE

I dunno how long you have lived in the area but I have been here since the early 80's.....

There was some homeless, as was common throughout the valley, bay area, usually isolated around loaves & fishes downtown...….

Now you go around in Carmichael~ Arden mall there are homeless on every corner-literally..

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    HOMIE

I dunno how long you have lived in the area but I have been here since the early 80's.....

There was some homeless, as was common throughout the valley, bay area, usually isolated around loaves & fishes downtown...….

Now you go around in Carmichael~ Arden mall there are homeless on every corner-literally..
    I’ve always believed it is the climate, it is easier to be homeless in Sacramento then it is to be homeless in Indiana. The California dream attracts people, then they find out how expensive the dream is.

My friends mentally ill mother lives there, they have gotten her a place to live, but she prefers to be on the street, her paranoid delusions make her feel safer there than in an apartment. It is sad, what can one do, she refuses to take her medication, claims it makes her feel weird.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    To me, it does not seem any worse in downtown Sacramento than in downtown Oakland or downtown Los Angeles. Therefore, I am not clear why this particular mayor is supposedly doing worse than others.
    There clearly seems to be more homeless everywhere than there was 30 years ago.

It seems to be mostly a public health issue to me, not a law enforcement issue. I lot of these people seem to have mental disabilities.
    I leave it to people with expertise to propose solutions, I would be a phony armchair expert if I knew what the bloody heck to do about it.
    I don't know how those places seem to you, all of them are far worse than they were 30 years ago, 20, 10 & even 5 years ago-the problem continues to grow exponentially..

I would say so but this creates law enforcement issues-drugs, public intoxication, violence, defecating/urinating in public etc etc etc..

Yes I believe most of them have mental issues, substance issues, both-self medicating etc do to lack of services...

A quarter of the homeless now are in Calif...… West coast I believe has over half of the homeless now on our streets..

We have no solutions-obviously mental health is needed but the governor/mayors etc have no master plan nor the cash to implement it...…..

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not a Newsom supporter. But I lived in SF prior to his time in office and the crapping, homeless etc. was all present before he took office. I'm saying it didn't start with him.
    Yep...….. NO DOUBT!!!

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Gavin is not the solution, hes the problem.
    He's too busy signing legislation that prohibits cops from using their guns when necessary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    He's too busy signing legislation that prohibits cops from using their guns when necessary.
    I was referring to his time as mayor of SF.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Really? When did he do that?

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    Really? When did he do that?
    Two days ago.

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks