Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Catch-22

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

hows it going mott? Believe it or not, I was missing seeing you around. granted, I was high when I thought this.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (08-21-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    "But Yossarian still didn't understand either how Milo could buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents."

"Milo chortled proudly. "I don't buy eggs from Malta," he confessed... "I buy them in Sicily at one cent apiece and transfer them to Malta secretly at four and a half cents apiece in order to get the price of eggs up to seven cents when people come to Malta looking for them."

"Then you do make a profit for yourself," Yossarian declared.

"Of course I do. But it all goes to the syndicate. And everybody has a share. Don't you understand? It's exactly what happens with those plum tomatoes I sell to Colonel Cathcart."

"Buy," Yossarian corrected him. "You don't sell plum tomatoes to Colonel Cathcart and Colonel Korn. You buy plum tomatoes from them."

"No, sell," Milo corrected Yossarian. "I distribute my plum tomatoes in markets all over Pianosa under an assumed name so that Colonel Cathcart and Colonel Korn can buy them up from me under their assumed names at four cents apiece and sell them back to me the next day at five cents apiece. They make a profit of one cent apiece, I make a profit of three and a half cents apiece, and everybody comes out ahead."

And one of my favorite exchanges....

“As far back as Yossarian could recall, he explained to Clevinger with a patient smile, somebody was always hatching a plot to kill him. There were people who cared for him and people who didn't, and those who hated him were out to get him. They hated him because he was Assyrian. But they couldn't touch him, he told Clevinger, because he had a sound mind in a pure body and was as strong as an ox. They couldn't touch him because he was Tarzan, Mandrake, Flash Gordon. He was Bill Shakespeare. He was Cain, Ulysses, the Flying Dutchman; he was Lot in Sodom, Deirdre of the Sorrows, Sweeney in the nightingales among trees. He was miracle ingredient Z-247. He was -
    Crazy!" Clevinger interrupted, shrieking. "That's what you are! Crazy!" "immense. I'm a real slam-bang, honest-to-goodness, three-fisted humdinger. I'm a bona fide Supraman."
    "Superman?" Clevinger cried. "Superman?"
    Supraman," Yossarian corrected.”
    You'll like how they treat Clevinger in the new series.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful Wizard View Post
    hows it going mott? Believe it or not, I was missing seeing you around. granted, I was high when I thought this.
    Thanks Grind. I've been busy. Since my wife's promotion to Asst Gen Manager at the hotel she works at she's been a bit of a pain. It appears the power is going to her head and she's taking her new job a little to seriously. She's developed a new method for her house maids to make beds while keeping their arms and back ramrod straight, like in a parade drill. She started out by practicing it with me over, and over, and over again, till I got it right. The bed looked like crap when I was done but it looked impressive as hell while I was making it.

So after drilling on me she went into work and night and day and with some long, long hours and much bitching and complaining by her house keepers she had trained them all to make beds with their arms and backs locked ramrod straight. Once they got it down she was ready for the next QA inspection. So they demonstrated the new technique for making beds, which resulted in a crappy looking bed but the QA inspectors from the corporate office were so impressed that they gave her a perfect score and sent a detailed report to the corporate HQ in St. Louis who was so impressed that they promoted her to Corporate Director of Rooms.

Now she is busy training all the house keepers in her Hotel Chain how to make beds with their arms and backs locked ram rod straight and corporate observers have been so impressed that her corporation has been awarded a JD Powers awards for best service and she's now considered a corporate genius.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-21-2019)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,781 Times in 33,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Grind. I've been busy. Since my wife's promotion she's been a bit of a pain. It appears the power is going to her head and she's taking her new job a little to seriously. She's developed a new method for her house maids to make beds while keeping their arms and back ramrod straight, like in a parade drill. She started out by practicing it with me over, and over, and over again, till I got it right. The bed looked like crap when I was done but it looked impressive as hell while I was making it.

So after drilling on me she went into work and night and day and with some long, long hours and much bitching and complaining by her house keepers she had trained them all to make beds with their arms and backs locked ramrod straight. Once they got it down she was ready for the next QA inspection. So they demonstrated the new technique for making beds, which resulted in a crappy looking bed but the QA inspectors from the corporate office were so impressed that they gave her a perfect score and sent a detailed report to the corporate HQ in St. Louis who was so impressed that they promoted her to Corporate Director of Rooms.

Now she is busy training all the house keepers in her Hotel Chain how to make beds with their arms and backs locked ram rod straight and corporate observers have been so impressed that her corporation has been awarded a JD Powers awards for best service and she's now considered a corporate genius.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Grind. I've been busy. Since my wife's promotion to Asst Gen Manager at the hotel she works at she's been a bit of a pain. It appears the power is going to her head and she's taking her new job a little to seriously. She's developed a new method for her house maids to make beds while keeping their arms and back ramrod straight, like in a parade drill. She started out by practicing it with me over, and over, and over again, till I got it right. The bed looked like crap when I was done but it looked impressive as hell while I was making it.

nevermind

---

Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTALITOPS For This Post:

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful Wizard View Post
    nevermind
    Sorry Dude. It’s a Catch-22 thread and I was channeling Major Major’s father.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Nomad (08-21-2019)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Sorry Dude. It’s a Catch-22 thread and I was channeling Major Major’s father.
    There is a missing chapter of Catch 22,that Playboy published years ago ,very funny chapter,I don't know why Joe Heller didn't include it!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,905 Times in 7,965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Possibly of some interest.... (link)

15 Things You Might Not Know About Catch-22
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    There is a missing chapter of Catch 22,that Playboy published years ago ,very funny chapter,I don't know why Joe Heller didn't include it!
    Probably cause the original manuscript was like 1000 pages. I’ve seen interviews with the editors and it was a tough book to edit.

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rana is Dori Duz!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Mason Michaels (08-22-2019)

17. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Rana is Dori Duz!!
    Don’t be a Scheiskopf!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-23-2019)

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not even really anti-war. The whole comedy of the book, and it's events, and even how the story is structured, is pointing out the absurdity of how people use circular reasoning logical fallacies to make decisions. Particularly in times of crisis, like war.
    From my perspective it's about how absurd and inefficient government is...

20. The Following User Groans At MAGA MAN For This Awful Post:

Nomad (08-22-2019)

21. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    So much more than that!
    Things like Yossarian and the woman having the deep discussion about the God they don't believe in.
    It's about everything in the outside world.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Unfortunately, your screwy backasswards perspective is so fucked up it means absolutely nothing.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    So much more than that!
    Things like Yossarian and the woman having the deep discussion about the God they don't believe in.
    It's about everything in the outside world.
    What more would you expect from a right-wing simpleton who only heard about it after seeing this thread?

He probably Googled it then briefly skimmed over a synopsis on Wikipedia prior to pretending like he is actually familiar enough with the original novel to have an opinion about it.

Typical cheap, transparent Dork Soul ruse.
    C'MON MAN!!!!