Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Can't Breathe. NYC Finally Firing Officer In Illegal Police Choke Hold Death

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Well one thing is for sure. Workers definitely get the benefit of the doubt. By having a system which makes it so difficult to frivolously fire somebody, it is equally difficult for a manager with an agenda to create their own little kingdom. Everybody knows they have to work with the others because probably nobody is going anywhere. It also makes sure that nobody loses their job unless they really mess up bad. Most workers can earn more money doing the same job outside the government, so the draw to work for the government is the benefits and job security are better. The federal government is the number one US employer with over 2 million workers. I remain unconvinced the government is inefficient at everything it does. I'm sure there are some areas which could stand improvement, but the government accomplishes a lot and we are better for it.
    You see the government more as an employment center. I see it as an organization that was created to serve the people. But sticking to the OP it took five years to deal with this because we have created a system where the rights of a government worker supersede everything else including how they do their job and if they break any rules/laws.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,654 Times in 17,915 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

After 30 years with the FAA, I can attest that the public is getting their money’s worth.

The rest of government, not so much.

3. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

signalmankenneth (08-19-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You see the government more as an employment center. I see it as an organization that was created to serve the people.
    I see it as both.

But sticking to the OP it took five years to deal with this because we have created a system where the rights of a government worker supersede everything else including how they do their job and if they break any rules/laws.
    Yeah, the flip side is not pretty in this case. Seems like it should not have take this long to fire the guy. He was supposed to serve and protect, but he didn't do that.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (08-19-2019)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

When a police dept. loses a lawsuit due to the illegal or unethical acts of a cop, he should pay for part of the settlement. He should pay for what he did.
    The judgment of officers should be at least 50-50 in the hands of civilians. They serve the public, get paid by tax dollars so they should answer to the people.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-20-2019), Trumpet (08-19-2019)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    When a police dept. loses a lawsuit due to the illegal or unethical acts of a cop, he should pay for part of the settlement. He should pay for what he did.
    The judgment of officers should be at least 50-50 in the hands of civilians. They serve the public, get paid by tax dollars so they should answer to the people.
    then start getting police unions disbanded and prohibited, because that is the entity keeping officers from paying for misconduct
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    and how does this make you feel nut**bag? vindicated?

All of those letters you wrote to his family have offered them some peace I hope, I'm sure your deep concern really helps
    I have got deep concerns about your mental health.

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

It often seems the wheels of justice turn too slowly.

Look how long Bill Cosby went before the long arm of the law came down on him.

Look how long President Trump is continuing to masquerade as a concerned leader.
    It is truly mindboggling how this obnoxious turd manages to involve Trump in just about everything.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    It is truly mindboggling how this obnoxious turd manages to involve Trump in just about everything.
    this is from someone who claims an "interest" in politics, More like he wants to Trump bash only.
    TDS comes in all forms!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    "A state grand jury declined to indict Pantaleo in 2014. Federal authorities, however, kept a civil rights investigation open for five years before announcing last month they wouldn't bring charges.

Pantaleo's lawyer has insisted the officer used a reasonable amount of force and didn't mean to hurt Garner."
    NYPD fires police officer for the 2014 death of Eric Garner

He was not prosecuted.
    Because it would be exceedingly difficult to get a conviction—given the facts.

The SJW’s and cop haters want to think just because a black man dies in an altercation with a cop—those facts alone, are sufficient to bring a conviction. Some of them REALLY think that way.

But in the real world, there are these things called due process, the constitution, juries and defense lawyers. It’s a wonderful system that protects *all of us* from wrongful convictions—at least when it’s operating free from corruption.

This wonderful system was set up so that it would be ‘not easy’ to convict someone of a crime. The standard of evidence in criminal cases is set purposely high for the simple reason it protects innocent people from being charged with a crime and wrongfully convicted.

Therefore, the cop in this instance is very likely innocent and he can’t be convicted based on speculations by the mob. The cop may have mishandled the situation and for that he should be fired. One thing we can be certain of is that Garner mishandled the situation at the cost of his life.

People need to understand that resisting arrest can be dangerous. If the cops want to apprehend you, they at least think they have a reason to—so let them. It doesn’t end there. When you get before the judge, you get a chance to explain yourself along with your court appointed attorney.

The tragic fact is the responsibility for Garner’s death lies with Garner. A man who may or may not have known his father. I’d give it a 50/50 chance. Too many young males *of all colors* that grew up without solid male role models, never seen the inside of a church, exposed to gangs, drugs and who knows what all.

But no one wants to talk about any of that. Much easier to blame the cops. They couldn’t pay me to be one.
    Last edited by Darth Omar; 08-20-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here's a video of the choke-hold take-down. It's chilling.

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Here's a video of the choke-hold take-down. It's chilling.

Is there a video of what led-up to the choke hold? Was Garner a threat to any of the cops? Did the cops know for a fact Garner was unarmed? How could they know unless they let go of him?

Should they have just let Garner go the moment he started to resist?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (08-20-2019), Earl (08-20-2019)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Great post, Darth...one of your top five.

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Is there a video of what led-up to the choke hold? Was Garner a threat to any of the cops? Did the cops know for a fact Garner was unarmed? How could they know unless they let go of him?

Should they have just let Garner go the moment he started to resist?
    They should have acted like his life mattered. He was no longer resisting when he was face down and uttering the words "I CAN'T BREATHE"

That is the moment the focus needed to go from making an arrest to saving a life.

A good cop knows the difference.

A good cop would be the pursuer in the name of the law, struggle with somebody until that person's life was in danger, and then turn into the person who would save that person's life in order to bring them to justice. It was obvious there was no concern for Garner's life. That's the problem. It is sad that there is such disregard for life that the nation needs to be reminded that black lives do indeed matter just as much as white lives.

We are familiar with a term: "Excessive force."

There is a reason the choke-hold Garner used is prohibited.

The reason is because of what happened.

Garner had been arrested more than 30 times.

He was well known.

Did anybody even BOTHER to learn more about him? Did they even TRY to learn that he had health conditions? If they thought his life mattered they would have sought to learn and become as familiar as possible with who they were dealing with. That would be good police work.

23. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-20-2019)

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

They should have acted like his life mattered. He was no longer resisting when he was face down and uttering the words "I CAN'T BREATHE"

That is the moment the focus needed to go from making an arrest to saving a life.

A good cop knows the difference.

A good cop would be the pursuer in the name of the law, struggle with somebody until that person's life was in danger, and then turn into the person who would save that person's life in order to bring them to justice. It was obvious there was no concern for Garner's life. That's the problem. It is sad that there is such disregard for life that the nation needs to be reminded that black lives do indeed matter just as much as white lives.

We are familiar with a term: "Excessive force."

There is a reason the choke-hold Garner used is prohibited.

The reason is because of what happened.

Garner had been arrested more than 30 times.

He was well known.

Did anybody even BOTHER to learn more about him? Did they even TRY to learn that he had health conditions? If they thought his life mattered they would have sought to learn and become as familiar as possible with who they were dealing with. That would be good police work.
    They are going to check his health records while he is trying to get away from the cops, Snowflake?

He was a thug who received what all thugs should receive.

25. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's like trying to fire a bad teacher. Damn near impossible to fire a public union employee no matter how poorly they perform.
    This. I worked a state job for one year. One of they guys waited until after his 6 month probationary period was over, then the next day sat on his ass and refused to do anything. It took them three years to get rid of the guy.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

cawacko (08-20-2019)