Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Climate Chanfge Causes Death Of A Glacier.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,781 Times in 3,068 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    How does an inanimate object die exactly? What a moronic thread.

Glaciers and ice sheets have been melting over the last 2.6 million years snowflakes. Only an idiot would want another one to occur.
    Good question...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-19-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Sadness:

""Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path."

The warning appears on a plaque commemorating the loss of Okjokull, a glacier in Iceland that was declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move on its own. Jokull means glacier in Icelandic. Ok is now just a small patch of ice at the top of a volcano northeast of Reykjavik, the capital.

The full plaque reads:

"A letter to the future

"Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path.

"This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done.

"Only you know if we did it."

It ends with the date, August 2019, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air globally: 415 parts per million."

Iceland Unveils a Plaque to Okjokull, the First Glacier Killed by Climate Change

We have got to get serious about CLIMATE CHANGE!

It's ON.

Edit: I tried to fix the typo in the Thread title but am unable. The Forum only allows editing the title of the 1st post OP. What goes into the Forum is the original unedited title, with typos.

Note to self:

Politalker: Proof title before posting new threads!
    This is what some people might refer to as a CLUE.
    Every life matters

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Callinectes (08-19-2019), Truth Detector (08-19-2019)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Anyone can order a plaque.
    Noone can deny Iceland is rife with volcanic activity.

https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-inf...oes-in-iceland
    Your link doesn't mention Okjokull.

You are welcome to try again.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-19-2019)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Your link doesn't mention Okjokull.

You are welcome to try again.
    This glacier rested in what was the top of the volcano Ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ok_(volcano)

Iceland is the land of ice and fire due to its numerous volcanos thanks to its unfortunate location tectonicly speaking

outline_of_iceland_deformation_zones.svg_.jpg
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello gfm7175,

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Regarding the first bolded section: How do you know what the global CO2 concentration even is? We don't have near enough CO2 stations (and they would also need to be uniformly spaced and simultaneously read by the same observer, which they currently aren't) to accurately determine global CO2 content via statistical mathematics.
    Easy. I don't think the media is fake and I don't think it is the enemy of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Regarding the second bolded section: Define "climate change". Circular definitions are not accepted as they are meaningless. Describe how a climate "changes"...
    I accept the common usage of the term. Earth is getting hotter in a large part because of the industrial age and 7.7 billion humans burning things daily, or having them burned in their name.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

"death of a glacier"

when's the service?
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-19-2019), gfm7175 (08-19-2019), Truth Detector (08-19-2019)

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,781 Times in 3,068 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Hello gfm7175,

Easy. I don't think the media is fake and I don't think it is the enemy of the people.
    My question was regarding science and mathematics; it had nothing to do with the media.

How do you know what the global CO2 concentration even is? We don't have near enough CO2 measuring stations to even begin such a statistical analysis.

I accept the common usage of the term. Earth is getting hotter in a large part because of the industrial age and 7.7 billion humans burning things daily, or having them burned in their name.
    What is "the common usage of the term"? Are "climate change" and "global warming" synonymous terms? How are they defined?

How do you know that the Earth is getting hotter? We don't have near enough thermometers to even begin such a statistical analysis of Earth's temperature. The thermometers that NOAA, NASA, etc. make use of are not uniformly spaced nor are they simultaneously read by the same observer. That means that there is location and time bias in the readings being used.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sadness:

""Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path."

The warning appears on a plaque commemorating the loss of Okjokull, a glacier in Iceland that was declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move on its own. Jokull means glacier in Icelandic. Ok is now just a small patch of ice at the top of a volcano northeast of Reykjavik, the capital.

The full plaque reads:

"A letter to the future

"Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path.

"This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done.

"Only you know if we did it."

It ends with the date, August 2019, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air globally: 415 parts per million."

Iceland Unveils a Plaque to Okjokull, the First Glacier Killed by Climate Change

We have got to get serious about CLIMATE CHANGE!

It's ON.

Edit: I tried to fix the typo in the Thread title but am unable. The Forum only allows editing the title of the 1st post OP. What goes into the Forum is the original unedited title, with typos.

Note to self:

Politalker: Proof title before posting new threads!
    Define 'climate change'.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello gfm7175,

CO2 is not capable of warming anything.

* You can't create energy out of nothing (1st law of thermodynamics).
    * You can't heat the surface using a cooler gas in the atmosphere (2nd law of thermodynamics).
    * You can't trap or slow heat (1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics).
    * You can't trap thermal energy. There is always heat (1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics).
    * You can't trap light (Planck's law).
    * You can't reduce the radiance of Earth and increase its temperature at the same time (Stefan-Boltzmann law).

Redefinition fallacy (climate <-> temperature). Try English. It works better.

Define 'climate change'. Define 'global warming'. The only common usage of either of these terms is as a meaningless buzzword.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Callinectes (08-19-2019), Truth Detector (08-19-2019)

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    How does an inanimate object die exactly? What a moronic thread.

Glaciers and ice sheets have been melting over the last 2.6 million years snowflakes. Only an idiot would want another one to occur.
    Every life matters

19. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

20. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This glacier rested in what was the top of the volcano Ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ok_(volcano)

Iceland is the land of ice and fire due to its numerous volcanos thanks to its unfortunate location tectonicly speaking

outline_of_iceland_deformation_zones.svg_.jpg
    So?

Lots of old volcanoes have been completely cooled for a long time. Glaciers exist on old volcanoes in many locations over the world without being melted by volcano heat.

This one looks cool, man: " It erupted during interglacials in the Pleistocene.[2] " wiki

What you need for convincing evidence would be some science showing that this volcano is causing heating which has melted the glacier. That's your position, but I disagree. If you can truly find the supporting evidence I am open to agreeing with you if that's the case.

22. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

23. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So?

Lots of old volcanoes have been completely cooled for a long time. Glaciers exist on old volcanoes in many locations over the world without being melted by volcano heat.

This one looks cool, man: " It erupted during interglacials in the Pleistocene.[2] " wiki

What you need for convincing evidence would be some science showing that this volcano is causing heating which has melted the glacier. That's your position, but I disagree. If you can truly find the supporting evidence I am open to agreeing with you if that's the case.
    You ignore that the entirety on Iceland is riding on an active and fragile tectonic mess. Magma is closer to the surface and leaks all over.
    That one need not be prepped to go off but it signals an area with active magma not far off. That oven of yours is warm on the outside when its hot on the inside.
    Theyve been taking advantage of their geology for quite some time deriving power from it.

https://www.icelandontheweb.com/arti...eothermal-heat
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

You ignore that the entirety on Iceland is riding on an active and fragile tectonic mess. Magma is closer to the surface and leaks all over.
    That one need not be prepped to go off but it signals an area with active magma not far off. That oven of yours is warm on the outside when its hot on the inside.
    Theyve been taking advantage of their geology for quite some time deriving power from it.

https://www.icelandontheweb.com/arti...eothermal-heat
    That is all fine and well, very informative and education website, but it doesn't say there is activity under Okjökull. And it doesn't follow. Do you really think such a huge mistake would be made to place this plaque on an extinct glacier, suggesting climate change, if it was really volcanic activity driven glacier demise? What an absurd risk of the optics going the opposite direction than what was intended.

You are making what is known as an unsubstantiated claim. We the majority don't believe you. I would be open to convincing evidence, but you haven't shown any specifics. Just very broad generalizations, and that is just not enough. Show us that specific evidence to this volcano or I remain unconvinced.

25. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Do you really think such a huge mistake would be made to place this plaque on an extinct glacier, suggesting climate change, if it was really volcanic activity driven glacier demise?
    Wouldnt be the first time.

Finally, how long will that memorial plaque last? Just look at what recently happened at Glacier National Park, where they had to remove plaques indicating they expected the glaciers to be gone due to climate change by 2020. And what if “OK” starts growing again? Will it become Iceland’s first zombie glacier?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post: