Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Climate Chanfge Causes Death Of A Glacier.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Climate Change Causes Death Of A Glacier.

Sadness:

""Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path."

The warning appears on a plaque commemorating the loss of Okjokull, a glacier in Iceland that was declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move on its own. Jokull means glacier in Icelandic. Ok is now just a small patch of ice at the top of a volcano northeast of Reykjavik, the capital.

The full plaque reads:

"A letter to the future

"Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path.

"This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done.

"Only you know if we did it."

It ends with the date, August 2019, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air globally: 415 parts per million."

Iceland Unveils a Plaque to Okjokull, the First Glacier Killed by Climate Change

We have got to get serious about CLIMATE CHANGE!

It's ON.

Edit: I tried to fix the typo in the Thread title but am unable. The Forum only allows editing the title of the 1st post OP. What goes into the Forum is the original unedited title, with typos.

Note to self:

Politalker: Proof title before posting new threads!
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 08-19-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-19-2019)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (08-19-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or could it also be a normal shift in the earths tilt? I know the magnetic poles are moving.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-19-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Volcanic activity melted this ice. Not a few molecules miles away in the atmosphere.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Volcanic activity melted this ice. Not a few molecules miles away in the atmosphere.
    There's your OUT.

A convenient way to deny what is globally recognized.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Sadness:

""Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path."

The warning appears on a plaque commemorating the loss of Okjokull, a glacier in Iceland that was declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move on its own. Jokull means glacier in Icelandic. Ok is now just a small patch of ice at the top of a volcano northeast of Reykjavik, the capital.

The full plaque reads:

"A letter to the future

"Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier. In the next 200 years all our main glaciers are expected to follow the same path.

"This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done.

It ends with the date, August 2019, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air globally: 415 parts per million."

Iceland Unveils a Plaque to Okjokull, the First Glacier Killed by Climate Change

It's ON.
    The thing that we need to be worried about is not just the aesthetic value of glaciers.

Many areas on the world depend on perennial glaciers and reliable snowpack to provide a consistent and sustainable source of water particularly through the dry seasons and the summer.

10. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-19-2019)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

There's your OUT.

A convenient way to deny what is globally recognized.
    Convenient ?
    You do accept that molten rock is quite warm, right ?
    If so molten rock under an ice cube albeit a BIG cube could explain why the cube melted.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Convenient ?
    You do accept that molten rock is quite warm, right ?
    If so molten rock under an ice cube albeit a BIG cube could explain why the cube melted.
    I am not going to accept that volcanic activity caused the loss of this glacier unless you can present convincing evidence. I seriously doubt they would be placing a climate change plaque on a glacier that melted because of other reasons. That would play right into the hands of deniers.

You're called.

Show your cards.

15. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn...eady-to-erupt/

May be getting some more melting really soon.
    Not to mention a lot of death and destruction.
    And a big ole cooldown for Earth with all that particulate blocking solar energy.

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

How does an inanimate object die exactly? What a moronic thread.

Glaciers and ice sheets have been melting over the last 2.6 million years snowflakes. Only an idiot would want another one to occur.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Holy shit this arsehole is a month late with this fake news, it was bollocks before and is even more so now. More glaciers die due to lack of precipitation than any other reason but you'd have to have an ounce of nous to know that!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/07/...-to-a-glacier/
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-19-2019 at 10:44 AM.

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

I am not going to accept that volcanic activity caused the loss of this glacier unless you can present convincing evidence. I seriously doubt they would be placing a climate change plaque on a glacier that melted because of other reasons. That would play right into the hands of deniers.

You're called.

Show your cards.
    Anyone can order a plaque.
    Noone can deny Iceland is rife with volcanic activity.

https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-inf...oes-in-iceland

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyone can order a plaque.
    Noone can deny Iceland is rife with volcanic activity.

https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-inf...oes-in-iceland
    It died because it literally dried up, simple as that.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,245 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Such hubris. What a set of balls on you and everyone who thinks like you, to be convinced that humans can change the fate of an entire planet(other than blowing it up). There's two things you guys can do, but you'll never do it: 1) Stop trying to cure every disease that "experts" say "could decimate the population". That's what they're designed to do, and that's why they keep popping up. 2) If you don't believe in the god of the Christian Bible, at least try to look at it as a practical guide to being a human. Basically, keep it in your pants until you're emotionally and financially ready to support a family with children. That darling of the left, your very own UN, reports that the world population will reach 10 billion in 2050. That is what many scientists call "maximum carrying capacity". So stop worrying about this crap. If we stay the course this should start to take care of itself in about 30 years and it ain't gonna be pretty, and it ain't gonna be because the global temperature went up by 1 degree
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The thing that we need to be worried about is not just the aesthetic value of glaciers.

Many areas on the world depend on perennial glaciers and reliable snowpack to provide a consistent and sustainable source of water particularly through the dry seasons and the summer.
    So true. Glaciers also reflect more sunlight than the bare earth they cover. Glacier loss accelerates global warming.

25. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,858 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Sadness:

The full plaque reads:

"A letter to the future

It's ON.

Edit: I tried to fix the typo in the Thread title but am unable. The Forum only allows editing the title of the 1st post OP. What goes into the Forum is the original unedited title, with typos.

Note to self:

Politalker: Proof title before posting new threads!
    Regarding the first bolded section: How do you know what the global CO2 concentration even is? We don't have near enough CO2 stations (and they would also need to be uniformly spaced and simultaneously read by the same observer, which they currently aren't) to accurately determine global CO2 content via statistical mathematics.

Regarding the second bolded section: Define "climate change". Circular definitions are not accepted as they are meaningless. Describe how a climate "changes"...