Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biden: 'There's an awful lot of really good Republicans out there'

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    They have plenty of unity in passing outrageous spending bills. But again I point to the Obama years. That was basically the definition of party unity.

China needs to be addressed and ultimately it needs to be done on a bi-partisan basis because it's that important of an issue to the country. But tariffs which punish the global economy and ourselves isn't the way to go about it. It will ultimately take an (American led) effort between America and allies going against Beijing. Not how we're going about it now.
    with due respect there isn't time on China,nor is the EU likely to do anything - so far no one even protests the WTO violations, or they are already indebted to China's "New Silk Road"
    Besides we want a new bi-lateral agreement, as multi-lateral agreements have too much of a chance to lack any unity towards China ( China can play off one state against another).

Also while other nations may be concerned with trade,they are not concerned with IPRights theft or espionage against the US.. The interests are too diffused in a multilateral agreement ( again lookat the WTO for proof)

If you are REALLY SERIOUS about curbing Chinese malign behaviors this is the only way to do it.
    It's not forever. Looks like Trump has to get re-elected though since our Congress is so freaking disinterested they won't even ratify NAFTA 2 ).

PS I hear you on the spending!

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

TBH, I didn't follow the wall funding (or anything Congress did) all that closely but my limited understanding is they didn't have the votes which isn't surprising. I'm not sure if being against a wall makes one an establishment Republican or not, plenty of Libertarians are against it, but it's never been a subject all Republicans supported.

Congress is definitely broken and it's far more than just elect more Republicans or elect more Democrats. It's deeper than that.
    Think of it this way..
    if they had the votes for tax reform they had the votes for the wall as well

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Think of it this way..
    if they had the votes for tax reform they had the votes for the wall as well
    As one who has been a Republican for almost 30 years now I can pretty confidently say one of the most fundamental tenants of being a Republican is supporting lower taxes. There are issues where republicans don’t agree with other but taxes is generally not one of them. Throw in the fact you can often get a few democrats to join it’s not hard to pass that legislation. If republicans have power and can’t pass tax cuts they shouldn’t exist as a party.

A border wall just isn’t the same. There are definitely folks such as yourself who are passionate about it but it’s not at the core of being a Republican like lower taxes are.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Celticguy (08-18-2019)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf

They have plenty of unity in passing outrageous spending bills. But again I point to the Obama years. That was basically the definition of party unity.

China needs to be addressed and ultimately it needs to be done on a bi-partisan basis because it's that important of an issue to the country. But tariffs which punish the global economy and ourselves isn't the way to go about it. It will ultimately take an (American led) effort between America and allies going against Beijing. Not how we're going about it now.
    Yep, it is the best of times for China. They are ascending, the USA/Pax Americana is descending & what trump is doing is not going to change that. It will not even slow it down..

68 countries are on board w/ one belt-we are pissing off allies & trying to shake down NATO & anyone else he thinks he can beat out of a dime..

We~the west needs those allies more than we need the chicken feed we can extort.......

I watched a three hour dock dealing w/ Asia, & it was not exclusively about China, there was a lot on it..

3 parts-the past-the present-the future.. (best I have seen on this topic)

Speakers from all over the world.

By the end of the 2nd part they were already talking about Pax America in a past tense & the ascendancy of Asia, & particularly China AS A GIVEN!!!

The assumption being we have already been beaten~past any point to change the trajectory or even slow the inertia..

I would not ask you or anyone to watch three hours-Hell, I was not intending to either-but it was well worth it.

I think Cos aka noise would probably benefit the most-to round off his expertise on N Africa, but he is the least likely...... Perhaps he has bandwidth issues..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    with due respect there isn't time on China,nor is the EU likely to do anything - so far no one even protests the WTO violations, or they are already indebted to China's "New Silk Road"
    Besides we want a new bi-lateral agreement, as multi-lateral agreements have too much of a chance to lack any unity towards China ( China can play off one state against another).

Also while other nations may be concerned with trade,they are not concerned with IPRights theft or espionage against the US.. The interests are too diffused in a multilateral agreement ( again lookat the WTO for proof)

If you are REALLY SERIOUS about curbing Chinese malign behaviors this is the only way to do it.
    It's not forever. Looks like Trump has to get re-elected though since our Congress is so freaking disinterested they won't even ratify NAFTA 2 ).

PS I hear you on the spending!
    Yep, already sound defeated.. Only got one card to play, over & over & it isn't working...

The US can't prevent espionage but they can prevent US companies- & affiliates from giving the shit away.....

Espionage can work both ways I have no doubt we are doing them the same...

Sorry dude, that isn't so, what is apparent he is incapable of dealing w/ this problem.. HE IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD..........

trump should have renegotiated the TPP, doing away w/ it essentially handed china free-reign in all of Asia........

What the country needs now is someone knowledgeable, experienced & capable.. Even then it may already be to late..

Sadly I have no idea who that person is-during the debates all they talk about is what they will give away & illegals.......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As one who has been a Republican for almost 30 years now I can pretty confidently say one of the most fundamental tenants of being a Republican is supporting lower taxes. There are issues where republicans don’t agree with other but taxes is generally not one of them. Throw in the fact you can often get a few democrats to join it’s not hard to pass that legislation. If republicans have power and can’t pass tax cuts they shouldn’t exist as a party.

A border wall just isn’t the same. There are definitely folks such as yourself who are passionate about it but it’s not at the core of being a Republican like lower taxes are.
    WRONG!!!!!

I hear very, very, very few republicans kicking against the goads when it comes to tariffs/taxes on all Americans...........

I have read a few- many of the rest are even denying it..... A real fuXin shame........

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    WRONG!!!!!

I hear very, very, very few republicans kicking against the goads when it comes to tariffs/taxes on all Americans...........

I have read a few- many of the rest are even denying it..... A real fuXin shame........
    Admittedly I don't know what the colors mean so I'm assuming red is for being facetious.

Since I've started following politics in the '80's lower taxes is the basis of being a Republican. Bush Sr. lost an election because of breaking "read my lips". That some people support tariffs today does nothing to change what I stated. In fact I'd argue many of the people who support the tariffs today are folks like annatta who aren't Republicans. (Not all people who voted for and support Trump are Republicans).

(And to be clear that's not a shot at annatta, it's just as a fact as he calls himself a populist not a Republican)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Admittedly I don't know what the colors mean so I'm assuming red is for being facetious.

Since I've started following politics in the '80's lower taxes is the basis of being a Republican. Bush Sr. lost an election because of breaking "read my lips". That some people support tariffs today does nothing to change what I stated. In fact I'd argue many of the people who support the tariffs today are folks like annatta who aren't Republicans. (Not all people who voted for and support Trump are Republicans).

(And to be clear that's not a shot at annatta, it's just as a fact as he calls himself a populist not a Republican)
    The red is just a highlight........

What does any of that have to do w/ the fact THAT ALMOST NO GOP MEMBERS ARE SPEAKING OUT ABOUT TRUMP RAISING TAXES VIA TARIFFS ON GOODS WE PURCHASE FROM RED CHINA..........

?? They don't seem to concerned about lower taxes now!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The red is just a highlight........

What does any of that have to do w/ the fact THAT ALMOST NO GOP MEMBERS ARE SPEAKING OUT ABOUT TRUMP RAISING TAXES VIA TARIFFS ON GOODS WE PURCHASE FROM RED CHINA..........

?? They don't seem to concerned about lower taxes now!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The premise of the discussion was taxes, i.e. income taxes. Read what annatta wrote that I responded too. Trying to argue what is happening today vis a vis tariffs somehow invalidates what makes Republicans Republicans vis a vis income tax (and corporate tax) is wrong.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

there are a lot of good demmycrats out there.......they voted for Trump in 2016 and will again in 2020.......the ones who aren't good, won't........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”