Thread: Conservative Choices: Bill Weld, Republican Running For President Against Trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Conservative Choices: Bill Weld, Republican Running For President Against Trump

Here's a Republican I could vote for.

If I had to choose between Weld and Trump? That would be an easy choice. Weld in a heartbeat.

He is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

A libertarian with strong moral convictions.

Nice little intro video on his website: Bill Weld For President

"William Floyd Weld (born July 31, 1945) is an American attorney, businessman, and Republican politician who served as the 68th Governor of Massachusetts from 1991 to 1997. Weld is running for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in 2020.

A Harvard and Oxford graduate, Weld began his career as legal counsel to the United States House Committee on the Judiciary before becoming the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts and, later, the United States Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division. He worked on a series of high-profile public corruption cases and later resigned in protest of an ethics scandal and associated investigations into Attorney General Edwin Meese.

Weld was elected Governor of Massachusetts in 1990. In the 1994 election, he was reelected by the largest margin of victory in Massachusetts history. In 1996, he was the Republican nominee for the United States Senate in Massachusetts, losing to Democratic incumbent John Kerry. Weld resigned as governor in 1997 to focus on his nomination by President Bill Clinton to serve as United States Ambassador to Mexico; due to opposition by socially conservative Senate Foreign Relations committee Chairman Jesse Helms, he was denied a hearing before the Foreign Relations committee and withdrew his nomination. After moving to New York in 2000, Weld sought the Republican nomination for Governor of New York in the 2006 election; when the Republican Party instead endorsed John Faso, Weld withdrew from the race.

Weld became involved in presidential politics in later years. In 2016, he left the Republican Party to become the Libertarian Party running mate of former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson. Johnson and Weld were the first presidential ticket since 1948 to consist of two state governors. They received nearly 4.5 million popular votes, the best-ever showing for a Libertarian ticket and the best showing for any third-party ticket since 1996. After returning to the Republican Party, Weld announced on April 15, 2019 that he would challenge President Donald Trump in the 2020 Republican primaries. "

Bill Weld wiki
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

No disrespect man but this is all bullsh*t. When you talk about how evil Republicans are all the time it's hard to believe Bill Weld is somehow the one exception. I heard this same thing regarding Arnold. He is and was a moderate Republican. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I remember so many Democrats in California saying "why can't we get a moderate Republican to run here?" Well we got one and they hated him.

You may prefer other Republicans to Trump but if in office they would still be labeled as evil, bigoted, racist, misogynist, etc.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (08-16-2019), Darth Omar (08-16-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    No disrespect man but this is all bullsh*t. When you talk about how evil Republicans are all the time it's hard to believe Bill Weld is somehow the one exception. I heard this same thing regarding Arnold. He is and was a moderate Republican. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I remember so many Democrats in California saying "why can't we get a moderate Republican to run here?" Well we got one and they hated him.

You may prefer other Republicans to Trump but if in office they would still be labeled as evil, bigoted, racist, misogynist, etc.
    Not at all.

I only call them as I see them. There is no automatic list of complaints to be hurled willy nilly at any R.

My objections to Trump are real and they are specific to him.

I am very wary of sterotyping, see it all the time, would not want to go there, believe it is shallow thinking, and try to judge each candidate as I see them.

For instance, I don't think John Kasich is a racist. And I don't think Bill Weld is one either.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

Who did we get & why did we hate him....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 117 Times in 113 Posts

Conservatives just don't get it!
    It's not that Trump's a Republican,it's that Trump's ,Trump,a lying,immoral,narcissist,embarrassment to the world.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Johnstone For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-19-2019)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello New NosaM,

Quote Originally Posted by New NosaM View Post
    Conservatives just don't get it!
    It's not that Trump's a Republican,it's that Trump's ,Trump,a lying,immoral,narcissist,embarrassment to the world.
    Well if there are any conservative Republicans who still value strong morals, and do not wish to fall in line behind Trump, at least they have another choice besides Trump.

Bill Weld.