Thread: When did American Conservatism Die?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default When did American Conservatism Die?

And a harder question is why? Consider #5 in link below. No republican in Congress today, who considered themselves conservative will counter the words and behaviors of this president, even when those words do not represent our American values of freedom and inclusion. Values written long ago in our Constitution's Preamble.

I have my own thoughts and lots of information on the whys, but I want to see if anyone can tell us, can they defend our nation today under a President who is anything but conservative? Who acts not as an American president but as an autocrat. How did we get here?

"Conservatism, then, is not simply the concern of the people who have much property and influence; it is not simply the defense of privilege and status. Most conservatives are neither rich nor powerful. But they do, even the most humble of them, derive great benefits from our established Republic. They have liberty, security of person and home, equal protection of the laws, the right to the fruits of their industry, and opportunity to do the best that is in them. They have a right to personality in life, and a right to consolation in death. Conservative principles shelter the hopes of everyone in society. And conservatism is a social concept important to everyone who desires equal justice and personal freedom and all the lovable old ways of humanity. Conservatism is not simply a defense of “capitalism.” (“Capitalism,” indeed, is a word coined by Karl Marx, intended from the beginning to imply that the only thing conservatives defend is vast accumulations of private capital.) But the true conservative does stoutly defend private property and a free economy, both for their own sake and because these are means to great ends."

"The conservative is a person who endeavors to conserve the best in our traditions and our institutions, reconciling that best with necessary reform from time to time. “To conserve” means “to save.”

https://kirkcenter.org/politics-and-.../essence-1957/

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (08-16-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    And a harder question is why? Consider #5 in link below. No republican in Congress today, who considered themselves conservative will counter the words and behaviors of this president, even when those words do not represent our American values of freedom and inclusion. Values written long ago in our Constitution's Preamble.

I have my own thoughts and lots of information on the whys, but I want to see if anyone can tell us, can they defend our nation today under a President who is anything but conservative? Who acts not as an American president but as an autocrat. How did we get here?

"Conservatism, then, is not simply the concern of the people who have much property and influence; it is not simply the defense of privilege and status. Most conservatives are neither rich nor powerful. But they do, even the most humble of them, derive great benefits from our established Republic. They have liberty, security of person and home, equal protection of the laws, the right to the fruits of their industry, and opportunity to do the best that is in them. They have a right to personality in life, and a right to consolation in death. Conservative principles shelter the hopes of everyone in society. And conservatism is a social concept important to everyone who desires equal justice and personal freedom and all the lovable old ways of humanity. Conservatism is not simply a defense of “capitalism.” (“Capitalism,” indeed, is a word coined by Karl Marx, intended from the beginning to imply that the only thing conservatives defend is vast accumulations of private capital.) But the true conservative does stoutly defend private property and a free economy, both for their own sake and because these are means to great ends."

"The conservative is a person who endeavors to conserve the best in our traditions and our institutions, reconciling that best with necessary reform from time to time. “To conserve” means “to save.”

https://kirkcenter.org/politics-and-.../essence-1957/

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'
    The sad truth is that Conservatism didn't die. It's not even in hiding. Donald Trump has reinvigorated Conservatives because he is (at least in his image) the ultimate Conservative.

Please watch these videos. They do a fantastic job of explaining what Conservatism really is and why Trump was able to become president as a Republican.

4. The Following User Groans At StoneByStone For This Awful Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (08-16-2019)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

DigitalDave (08-20-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

midcan5 (08-19-2019)