Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog attack deaths-Anyone seen a study were just one breed/mixs don't far exeed all ot

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf Dog attack deaths-Anyone seen a study were just one breed/mixs don't far exeed all ot

Dog attack deaths-Anyone seen a study were just one particular breed/mix of breed doesn't far exceed all others??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

No, not really. It’s the usual suspects though when it does happen. Usually large breed dogs that have been bred to be aggressive, for one reason or the other, like fighting, hunting, guarding, etc., that have not been properly socialized.

Pittbulls have the most notorious reputation and if you leave a child in a room with a pittbull and a Yorkie and neither have been properly socialized it’s going to be the Pittbull who will do the most harm, obviously.

So any large breed dog that hasn’t been properly socialized and/or fixed, even a Labrador Retriever, can be dangerous.

Having said that certain breeds do have more aggressive temperaments and there is peer reviewed data listing those breeds but you might be surprised by which dogs are on that list. Pitt Bulls are, at #9, we’ll below Chihuahuas and Dacshunds.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 08-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-13-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,517 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Dog attack deaths-Anyone seen a study were just one particular breed/mix of breed doesn't far exceed all others??
    Here is a study about dog attacks in general, including deaths but not limited to those events only.

"Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%).

Mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were found to have the highest relative risk of biting, as well as the highest average damage per bite. Breeds such as Great Dane and Akita were found to have a lower relative risk of biting; however, the average damage from these bites was high."

https://www.aaha.org/publications/ne...ites-by-breed/

What got you interested in this?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Graph from Forbes on dog attack fatalities by breed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#3253f4c62f8b
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    No, not really. It’s the usual suspects though when it does happen. Usually large breed dogs that have been bred to be aggressive, for one reason or the other, like fighting, hunting, guarding, etc., that have not been properly socialized.

Pittbulls have the most notorious reputation and if you leave a child in a room with a pittbull and a Yorkie and neither have been properly socialized it’s going to be the Pittbull who will do the most harm, obviously.

So any large breed dog that hasn’t been properly socialized and/or fixed, even a Labrador Retriever, can be dangerous.
    I was surprised @ how often Lab's came up, of course much, much lower on the scale compared to pit bulls.....

I didn't want to mention them in the title as some get easily offended & defensive about their dogs.... How sweet they are & all that...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The dog I like the least due to their temperaments is #10. Siberian Huskies. Great work dogs but not great pets.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fatalities from 2018, per DogBite.org:

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2018.php

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was surprised @ how often Lab's came up, of course much, much lower on the scale compared to pit bulls.....

I didn't want to mention them in the title as some get easily offended & defensive about their dogs.... How sweet they are & all that...
    What the stats don’t show is how many dog bite instances in which the dogs owner is an idiot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (08-13-2019), TOP (08-13-2019)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because people who seek to make an aggressive dog tend to favor pitts you see more of them lately.
    Theyre cheaper than the old scapegoat breeds (dobies rotties etc) but a poodle is just as capable.
    Chihuahuas or min pins would love to be but theyre just not strong enough. No shortage of attitude.
    But the breed thats fully responsible is homo sapien.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (08-13-2019)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Here is a study about dog attacks in general, including deaths but not limited to those events only.

"Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%).

Mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were found to have the highest relative risk of biting, as well as the highest average damage per bite. Breeds such as Great Dane and Akita were found to have a lower relative risk of biting; however, the average damage from these bites was high."

https://www.aaha.org/publications/ne...ites-by-breed/

What got you interested in this?
    I can't recall the chain of mental events which lead to this posting.....lol Maybe it was the ted nugget mentions~poacher~animals~bites???

I looked @ several & Pits were by far the highest~but the ones I saw it was pits followed by Pit-mixes that were causing the highest percents of deaths...

Random mixes where more around the bottom.......

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The dog I like the least due to their temperaments is #10. Siberian Huskies. Great work dogs but not great pets.
    One of my profs used to work with dog teams in Alaska. He said huskies are dumber than rocks and difficult to train, but husky mixes often make excellent sled dogs and companions.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can't recall the chain of mental events which lead to this posting.....lol Maybe it was the ted nugget mentions~poacher~animals~bites???

I looked @ several & Pits were by far the highest~but the ones I saw it was pits followed by Pit-mixes that were causing the highest percents of deaths...

Random mixes where more around the bottom.......
    Yeah, I wouldn't want any children to be around pits. They are just too unpredictable and with their strength and bite force an attack on a child is likely to be fatal. When my youngest went back to work after having her child, they arranged to have her sister-in-law take care of her. I begged and begged her not to do it; they had a pitbull who was erratic as hell, and they were the kind of ppl who don't do discipline. A deadly combination. She kept saying that she had no choice, they couldn't afford $275/week for a day care plus it would hurt the SIL's feelz if they said no. I was terrified. I offered to pay for a real day care even. Thankfully the matter was put to a rest when the dog bit the neighbor lady, AND a delivery person -- and had to go away -- before Lily had to be there.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They can be so long as there is a clear alpha on two legs in the pack. I know a lovely boy huskie.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    One of my profs used to work with dog teams in Alaska. He said huskies are dumber than rocks and difficult to train, but husky mixes often make excellent sled dogs and companions.
    Theyre hard to train because they are smart and very much want to be alpha.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    They can be so long as there is a clear alpha on two legs in the pack. I know a lovely boy huskie.
    My dad had a female huskie after I grew up and moved out. She was a beauty. He was definitely the alpha guy, so she behaved well, and was never a problem around my little ones, except for exuberantly knocking them over a couple of times in her excitement to see them. We all loved her.