Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Moral Marianne Williamson: End The $26 Billion In Subsidies To Fossil Fuel Industry.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Moral Marianne Williamson: End The $26 Billion In Subsidies To Fossil Fuel Industry.

America is badly in need of true moral leadership. President Trump has shown how divisive and hateful we can become when we abandon our morals.

Badly Needed Moral Leadership: Marianne Williamson: End The $26 Billion In Subsidies To Fossil Fuel Industry. Tax The Rich. Take Care Of People.

"First we need to pass a law—and most likely a constitutional amendment as well—for public funding of federal campaigns. (huge applause) Right now, the influence of corporate money on our governmental policy is the cancer underlying all other cancers. Then, we need a massive infusion of economic opportunity and hope into the lives of average Americans. We will get there by repealing the 2017, $2 trillion dollar tax cut that gave 83 cents of every dollar to the richest Americans and corporations. Then you stop subsidies such as—why did we pay $26 billion in subsidies to fossil fuel companies last year? Martin Luther King said: "If you give it to rich people they call it a subsidy. If you give it to poor people they call it a hand-out." Then, I agree with others that there should be a 3% tax on billionaires' assets and 2% on people with $50 million and more.

You do things like that, Trevor, and you've got some cash on hand. And then we do what we should be doing. We take care of people." (Another huge applause)

Marianne Williamson Is Guest Of Trever Noah
    (Start it at 0:36 to skip the Exxon Ad)

Noah says that Williamson's ideas are called dangerous and crazy. She responds:

"It is dangerous and crazy to NOT discuss the corrosive influence of big money on every aspect of our society."

"The average American is woefully under educated about racism in the United States."

"Slaves were promised 40 acres and a mule. They were freed but never got them. It is time to pay up to their qualified descendants. This is a moral issue. We paid between 20 and 22 thousand dollars to every Japanese American interred during World War II. Germany paid billions to Jews who survived the holocaust. It is time for the United States to make amends for our unmet obligations which have taken such a heavy toll on our society."

Noah: "Donald Trump didn't win by talking about the details, the nitty gritty. He won by talking about the idea of America. Is talking about the idea of America what you think people need to hear?"

Williamson: "It's the idea of leadership. It's the idea of what I think we need in a leader. Franklin Roosevelt said the administrative aspect of the office is secondary. He said the primary role of the Presidency is MORAL LEADERSHIP."

Well, THAT's pretty apparent from looking at the lack of moral leadership we have NOW.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-09-2019)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

CharacterAssassin (08-23-2019), Cinnabar (08-09-2019), moon (08-09-2019), Phantasmal (08-09-2019), signalmankenneth (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yawn.

Who is Marianne Williamson?

Thread fail.

5. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

signalmankenneth (08-09-2019)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

anonymoose (08-09-2019), Callinectes (08-09-2019), Truth Detector (08-09-2019)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Yawn.

Thread fail.
    Nope, it is your failure.
    Don't proclaim your ignorance is some kind of high ground.

8. The Following User Groans At Gonzomin For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-09-2019)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

moon (08-09-2019), Phantasmal (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)

10. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Nope, it is your failure.
    Don't proclaim your ignorance is some kind of high ground.
    I didn’t, you did.

Thread failure.

Yawn.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Callinectes (08-09-2019), Truth Detector (08-09-2019)

12. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

I didn’t, you did.

Thread failure.

Yawn.
    You being a moron just means you're a moron

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

moon (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)

14. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem with federal funding is in who is permitted to get it. Do you really think the machine that made the two party system will not ensure it protects it's own ?

She is right that money in politics is the problem though.

Just suppose we eliminated the money from politics ?

Media would publish platforms so people could compare with their own judgement how candidated soeak to their views.
    No more tonnage of junk mail.
    No more tsunami of ads in every medium.

Yes, it would put a dent in media sales.

No, it would not prevent pols from being purchased any more that federal funding would, just change how the cash flows.

And finally yes, it would require pols kill their machine which can never happen.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    The problem with federal funding is in who is permitted to get it. Do you really think the machine that made the two party system will not ensure it protects it's own ?
    Not at all. The powerful system which rewards the rich and holds the poor back will fight hard to maintain the status quo.

She is right that money in politics is the problem though.
    But not an insurmountable one.

Just suppose we eliminated the money from politics ?

Media would publish platforms so people could compare with their own judgement how candidated soeak to their views.
    No more tonnage of junk mail.
    No more tsunami of ads in every medium.

Yes, it would put a dent in media sales.

No, it would not prevent pols from being purchased any more that federal funding would, just change how the cash flows.
    I agree that measure would not do it alone. It needs to be part of a vast multi-faceted approach to end the legalized corruption of our government.

And finally yes, it would require pols kill their machine which can never happen.
    Actually, I believe it can happen. But it will surely never happen as long as people assume it can't. It is the belief that is the biggest hurdle. As soon as we understand that we can fix our nation, the details of actually doing it are nothing but a chore.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-10-2019)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (08-09-2019)

18. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Celticguy,

Not at all. The powerful system which rewards the rich and holds the poor back will fight hard to maintain the status quo.

But not an insurmountable one.

I agree that measure would not do it alone. It needs to be part of a vast multi-faceted approach to end the legalized corruption of our government.

Actually, I believe it can happen. But it will surely never happen as long as people assume it can't. It is the belief that is the biggest hurdle. As soon as we understand that we can fix our nation, the details of actually doing it are nothing but a chore.
    The onteresting thing i find when i talk about this is people upset about freedom of speech. They see handing over money as speech.

Lets face it... government was invented as a simplification of feudal lordship. Too many petty wars and too hard to exoand the footprint. Cooperative lordship is so much easier to milk the masses.

It isn't happening.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Earl (08-10-2019)

20. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

The onteresting thing i find when i talk about this is people upset about freedom of speech. They see handing over money as speech.
    Money and speech are two different concepts. I think we do ourselves a disservice when we equate the two. Just as much disservice as claiming a corporation is a person.

Lets face it... government was invented as a simplification of feudal lordship.
    No, I am not facing that. Feudal lordship is not what the Constitution says.

Too many petty wars and too hard to exoand the footprint. Cooperative lordship is so much easier to milk the masses.
    Most people in this country think there is far too much influence of big money in our government and our politics.

It isn't happening.
    Not in the current political climate. But as we are learning, climate changes. And we are also learning that we can affect that.

21. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-10-2019)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Trumpet (08-09-2019)

23. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Fuel doesn't come from fossils.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Callinectes (08-09-2019), Truth Detector (08-09-2019)

25. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

America is badly in need of true moral leadership. President Trump has shown how divisive and hateful we can become when we abandon our morals.

Badly Needed Moral Leadership: Marianne Williamson: End The $26 Billion In Subsidies To Fossil Fuel Industry. Tax The Rich. Take Care Of People.

"First we need to pass a law—and most likely a constitutional amendment as well—for public funding of federal campaigns. (huge applause) Right now, the influence of corporate money on our governmental policy is the cancer underlying all other cancers. Then, we need a massive infusion of economic opportunity and hope into the lives of average Americans. We will get there by repealing the 2017, $2 trillion dollar tax cut that gave 83 cents of every dollar to the richest Americans and corporations. Then you stop subsidies such as—why did we pay $26 billion in subsidies to fossil fuel companies last year? Martin Luther King said: "If you give it to rich people they call it a subsidy. If you give it to poor people they call it a hand-out." Then, I agree with others that there should be a 3% tax on billionaires' assets and 2% on people with $50 million and more.

You do things like that, Trevor, and you've got some cash on hand. And then we do what we should be doing. We take care of people." (Another huge applause)

"It is dangerous and crazy to NOT discuss the corrosive influence of big money on every aspect of our society."

"The average American is woefully under educated about racism in the United States."

"Slaves were promised 40 acres and a mule. They were freed but never got them. It is time to pay up to their qualified descendants. This is a moral issue. We paid between 20 and 22 thousand dollars to every Japanese American interred during World War II. Germany paid billions to Jews who survived the holocaust. It is time for the United States to make amends for our unmet obligations which have taken such a heavy toll on our society."

Noah: "Donald Trump didn't win by talking about the details, the nitty gritty. He won by talking about the idea of America. Is talking about the idea of America what you think people need to hear?"

Williamson: "It's the idea of leadership. It's the idea of what I think we need in a leader. Franklin Roosevelt said the administrative aspect of the office is secondary. He said the primary role of the Presidency is MORAL LEADERSHIP."

Well, THAT's pretty apparent from looking at the lack of moral leadership we have NOW.
    She has a lot of great ideas, but there is no way in Hades that she has a chance of winning. And she actually is a little insane.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Trumpet (08-09-2019)

27. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,498 Times in 7,586 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yawn.

I think she's replacing Jill Stein for the whacko candidate although there's stiff competition.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Callinectes (08-09-2019), Earl (08-10-2019)

29. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

How funny that there are trolls who dis these polices which would make any nation on any planet in any universe truly GREAT! The USA has never been great despite some great polices, but these would be immensely instrumental in bringing it closer to that standard.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 08-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)

31. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    She has a lot of great ideas, but there is no way in Hades that she has a chance of winning. And she actually is a little insane.
    How is she insane? Her moral compass is perfectly balanced.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)

33. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Stretch,

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Fuel doesn't come from fossils.
    The above post is a diversion. Whataboutism. It is hung up on semantics.

But I guess the come-on title was partly to blame. The thread is not really about the fossil fuel industry. The key word is the first word.

It is about morality.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (08-09-2019), Trumpet (08-09-2019)