Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changed, changed utterly

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default Changed, changed utterly

"All of a sudden, the limited government, rule-of-law, free market principles that in many ways defined the Republic have been exposed as the obsession of a small elite. Voters want goodies. They don't care about abuses of executive power when they are aimed at the other side. They are indifferent to process when they happen to like the outcome.Trump, by accident or possibly in some idiot savant way, intuited these things. The others are rushing to catch up."

- Daniel Hannan, MEP (Conservative)

So far I've taken the view that Trump probably can't do much long-term damage, precisely because he's too ignorant and incompetent, and most normal people can see there's something badly wrong with him. Hannan's contention is that most people DON'T CARE. He thinks that Trump has permanemtly skewed the American Way (or latched on to a seismic shift that was already there). Is he right?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (08-06-2019), Guno צְבִי (08-05-2019), PoliTalker (08-04-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

The voters want the most good for the most people.
    Russian trolls and their supporters go on Ignore, automatically: no second chance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

evince (08-05-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    the voters wnat the most for themselves and if it happens to benefit others, so be it
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    the voters wnat the most for themselves and if it happens to benefit others, so be it
    The president wants to benefit himself- and if it harms or benefit others- he couldn't give one squirt of runny shit!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

evince (08-05-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    The president wants to benefit himself- and if it harms or benefit others- he couldn't give one squirt of runny shit!
    Right on target!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

evince (08-05-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump is the only president in my lifetime who put the people first. That includes Reagan.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    "All of a sudden, the limited government, rule-of-law, free market principles that in many ways defined the Republic have been exposed as the obsession of a small elite. Voters want goodies. They don't care about abuses of executive power when they are aimed at the other side. They are indifferent to process when they happen to like the outcome.Trump, by accident or possibly in some idiot savant way, intuited these things. The others are rushing to catch up."

So far I've taken the view that Trump probably can't do much long-term damage, precisely because he's too ignorant and incompetent, and most normal people can see there's something badly wrong with him. Hannan's contention is that most people DON'T CARE. He thinks that Trump has permanemtly skewed the American Way (or latched on to a seismic shift that was already there). Is he right?
    Yes and no. Trump is mentally handicapped and, while he would like to be a dictator, he doesn't have the intelligence to actually take over a government the way Hitler did when he was given a government position. Trump is also notoriously lazy, which I see as a good thing. The less he does while president, the better.
    However, Trump is normalizing Fascism through his speeches and tweets. He's targeting people who will support ANY Republican president and he's showing them that in order to win, you need to act like a Fascist. This is extremely dangerous because, while Trump isn't smart enough to take over the country, who knows if they next Republican will be? Trump is redefining the Right and the GOP in an extremist way and that is what makes him dangerous.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (08-05-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello jimmymccready,

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    Voters didn't choose Trump. The electoral college did.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (08-05-2019)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Trump is the only president in my lifetime who put the people first. That includes Reagan.
    And most of those people are members at Mar-A-Lago, simply because Trump has to drag them along for the ride to pump up his own wealth. Otherwise he would have no qualms about throwing them under the buss if it made him richer.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,521 Times in 52,739 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post

I think that idiots like $arah Palin paved the way for a failed-businessman-then-a-TV-game-show-host to become President. Like all idiots savant, the Grifter from Wasilla picked up on the underlying voter angst for easy answers to complex issues, sound bites, trappings of attractiveness and/or wealth (Melania plays the part of $arah these days), and belief that only if we get the right blustering bully in office we can Be Great Again. Because we weren't because of Black Guy president, you see. Hannan is correct.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,521 Times in 52,739 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Now that is the truth, at least if the voters are selecting (R)s. And some (D)s too.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bore da Celticguy. Trump only puts Trump first. That anyone else benefits is purely accidental.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello jimmymccready,

Voters didn't choose Trump. The electoral college did.
    That's why they chose Clinton and not Trump.
    Russian trolls and their supporters go on Ignore, automatically: no second chance.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-05-2019)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Trump is the only president in my lifetime who put the people first.
    Were you born yesterday?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-05-2019)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

That explains you. Do not presume to talk for all voters. Plenty of leftys are voting for clean air, land, and water. They care about saving the planet. I am for making college far cheaper even though my education and my sons are long paid for.
    You are describing what motivates your voting and right-wing voting.