Members banned from this thread: cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, MAGA MAN, CFM and Sailor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 billion tons of ice melted in Greenland — in just one day

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Default 11 billion tons of ice melted in Greenland — in just one day

What will it take to convince the idiots that this is getting serious?

11 billion tons of ice melted in Greenland — in just one day

BY SOPHIE LEWIS

AUGUST 2, 2019 / 1:48 PM / CBS NEWS

Europe's historic heat wave has moved to Greenland, melting its ice sheets at dramatic rates. Eleven billion tons of ice melted across the country on Wednesday alone — its biggest melt this season.

While Greenland's ice sheets usually melt during the summer, record temperatures have meant a longer and more dramatic melt season. As sea levels rise globally, so do the likelihood of extreme weather events and coastal flooding.

Roughly 197 billion tons of ice from Greenland melted into the Atlantic Ocean in July, Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist with the Danish Meteorological Institute, told CBS News Friday. That's about 36 percent more than scientists expect in an average year.

Mottram said the recent heat waves have escalated this year's loss of ice. "The heat wave has certainly contributed to the very high numbers we saw yesterday and the day before," she said.

"The melt area has also been a lot bigger when the warm air mass from Europe arrived, but it has been a long period of warm and dry weather since May and following a dry winter so it's a little extra push rather than the main cause of the very high ice loss we've observed," she added.

According to data from the Polar Portal, nearly 60% of the ice sheet experienced at least 1 millimeter of melt at the surface Wednesday.

There is still one month left in the melt season, and the warm air mass is still lingering over much of Greenland, Mottram said. According to Mottram, residents of Ilulissat have been pictured wearing shorts in recent weeks. "This is very unusual!" She said.

Last week, Europe experienced a life-threatening heat wave, with France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Britain all hitting record temperatures: 100 degrees Fahrenheit in London, 109 in Paris. As the heat wave moved on to the Arctic and Greenland, Arctic sea ice is reaching new record low levels.

July may have been the hottest month in recorded history, according to U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres. "We have always lived through hot summers. But this is not the summer of our youth. This is not your grandfather's summer," he said Thursday.

82% of Greenland's surface is covered in ice. The country is home to the second biggest ice sheet in the world, next to the Antarctic. These two ice masses combined hold enough frozen water to raise global mean sea level by 65 meters if they were to suddenly melt.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/11-...-just-one-day/
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-02-2019), moon (08-03-2019), signalmankenneth (08-02-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

82% of Greenland's surface is covered in ice.

It was once green and covered with trees .. stupid fuck

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,615 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

BY SOPHIE LEWIS

Europe's historic heat wave has moved to Greenland, melting its ice sheets at dramatic rates. Eleven billion tons of ice melted across the country on Wednesday alone — its biggest melt this season.

While Greenland's ice sheets usually melt during the summer, record temperatures have meant a longer and more dramatic melt season. As sea levels rise globally, so do the likelihood of extreme weather events and coastal flooding.

Roughly 197 billion tons of ice from Greenland melted into the Atlantic Ocean in July, Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist with the Danish Meteorological Institute, told CBS News Friday. That's about 36 percent more than scientists expect in an average year.

Mottram said the recent heat waves have escalated this year's loss of ice. "The heat wave has certainly contributed to the very high numbers we saw yesterday and the day before," she said.

"The melt area has also been a lot bigger when the warm air mass from Europe arrived, but it has been a long period of warm and dry weather since May and following a dry winter so it's a little extra push rather than the main cause of the very high ice loss we've observed," she added.

According to data from the Polar Portal, nearly 60% of the ice sheet experienced at least 1 millimeter of melt at the surface Wednesday.

There is still one month left in the melt season, and the warm air mass is still lingering over much of Greenland, Mottram said. According to Mottram, residents of Ilulissat have been pictured wearing shorts in recent weeks. "This is very unusual!" She said.

Last week, Europe experienced a life-threatening heat wave, with France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Britain all hitting record temperatures: 100 degrees Fahrenheit in London, 109 in Paris. As the heat wave moved on to the Arctic and Greenland, Arctic sea ice is reaching new record low levels.

July may have been the hottest month in recorded history, according to U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres. "We have always lived through hot summers. But this is not the summer of our youth. This is not your grandfather's summer," he said Thursday.

82% of Greenland's surface is covered in ice. The country is home to the second biggest ice sheet in the world, next to the Antarctic. These two ice masses combined hold enough frozen water to raise global mean sea level by 65 meters if they were to suddenly melt.

Overt a third of the Northern Hemisphere was under a sheet of ice 1,000 meters thick just 15,000 years ago...and then a MASSIVE WARMING TOOK PLACE, forming the Great Lakes, etc. Please explain where warming anything remotely close to that is taking place, and how humans caused the FAR MORE RADICAL WARMING over 10,000 years ago.

Der....more of the same old Warmist LIES and ALARMISM...Al Gore's annuity need some more fund raising?

TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Overt a third of the Northern Hemisphere was under a sheet of ice 1,000 meters thick just 15,000 years ago...and then a MASSIVE WARMING TOOK PLACE, forming the Great Lakes, etc. Please explain where warming anything remotely close to that is taking place, and how humans caused the FAR MORE RADICAL WARMING over 10,000 years ago.

Der....more of the same old Warmist LIES and ALARMISM...Al Gore's annuity need some more fund raising?
    I figured at least one of the forum droolers would come dragging their knuckles in here and take a big, stinky dump.

What you're talking about was an epochal event that took place over thousands of years.

What we're seeing today, has occurred over a few decades.

That should tell you something right there.

If you had a brain, anyway.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

6. The Following User Groans At Nomad For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-02-2019)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-02-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Check the snowfall records. It's not unusual for 14 billion tons of snow to fall in one day. Without context, any number can sound scary to a climate alarmist

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,175 Times in 10,393 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    82% of Greenland's surface is covered in ice.

It was once green and covered with trees .. stupid fuck
    Yeah, somewhere around a half million years ago or more.

Dumbfuck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-02-2019)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

That was PAINFUL or SCARY (pick one) to watch today. I was heading out the door and thought, I know I should watch all the way through--I just couldn't. I LIVE IN a C O A S T A L state. I get it. This is not hard.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

BY SOPHIE LEWIS

Have you ever wondered how Greenland got its name? Do you think they were being ironic?

Oh and to answer your question. Nothing

Why are you so intent on me agreeing with you on this?

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Have you ever wondered how Greenland got its name? Do you think they were being ironic?

Oh and to answer your question. Nothing

Why are you so intent on me agreeing with you on this?
    It was a marketing scheme, you fucking idiot. It’s been under ice for 500,000+ years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

moon (08-03-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    It was a marketing scheme, you fucking idiot. It’s been under ice for 500,000+ years.
    400,000 years

But, why is it so important to you that I agree with you on this? Why do you leftists keep posting this stuff? Do you really think you are going to change my mind?

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,397 Times in 6,144 Posts
    Blog Entries

400,000 years

But, why is it so important to you that I agree with you on this? Why do you leftists keep posting this stuff? Do you really think you are going to change my mind?
    Change your WHAT ? Haw, haw..................................haw.

Be Afraid, Very Afraid: Greenland Ice Sheets Cascading into Ocean 50 Years Ahead of Schedule

Amid the European heat wave, Ruth Mottram of the Danish Meteorological Institute set off a panic this week when she observed that Greenland lost 11 billion tons of ice on August 1, the most in recorded history, and half the ice sheet was experiencing some level of melting. She added that through the month of July, as Climate Wire / Scientific American recounts, it lost 197 billion metric tons of ice.

We should be afraid, very afraid. The UN’s IPCC did not predict this rate of snow melt on Greenland until 2070, and Eric Holthaus at Rolling Stone quotes frantic scientist Xavier Fettweis at Belgium Liege University concluding that the IPCC climate estimates have been consistently and extensively way too conservative about how fast the climate crisis is worsening.

https://www.juancole.com/2019/08/gre...-schedule.html
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

An interesting article on the effects of melting ice (fresh water) on the Gulf Stream -- and thus on the eastern Western Hemisphere and Europe.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...getting-fresh/

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

400,000 years

I don’t give a fuck whether you agree with me or not. I’m just giving you the facts.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    I don’t give a fuck whether you agree with me or not. I’m just giving you the facts.
    You guys really seem to care otherwise why would you post this? Why do you care about people you deem "climate deniers"?

Why is it so important to you? Do you think you are going to die from a weather related event? Does it scare you?

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You guys really seem to care otherwise why would you post this? Why do you care about people you deem "climate deniers"?

Why is it so important to you? Do you think you are going to die from a weather related event? Does it scare you?
    Find my post in this thread, illiterate fuck.

The only comment I made was to you idiots who think Greenland was actually green in man’s memory. Fucking moron.

I don’t live in a place with severe weather, shitstain. We don’t have tornadoes or hurricanes. No coastal storms that inundate cities. Freezing rain or giant hailstorms are almost unheard of. Flooding, only from rivers, is mild. No huge blizzards. No massive power outages. So, asswipe, my chances of dying in a weather related event are nil. Unlike many of you idiots who choose to remain in areas where people die every year from your weather. And where I pay for your fucking cleanup.

Fool.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

moon (08-03-2019)