Thread: Quad squad race

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    I'm not doing that. I'm saying that "race" isn't always clear cut and what qualifies as a race depends on the society.
    You want to use race to describe muslims, mexicans and other non race groups, so that you can call your political opponents racists.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    You want to use race to describe muslims, mexicans and other non race groups, so that you can call your political opponents racists.
    I don't use "race" for religious groups like Muslims. I do use it for ethnic groups like Mexicans, because race and ethnicity are closely linked and sometimes interchangeable.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    of course there isn't.....its Quad Squad......
    Of course there is a Goon Squad- and you are the captain!

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

oh harsh......you have cut me to the quick.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't use "race" for religious groups like Muslims. I do use it for ethnic groups like Mexicans, because race and ethnicity are closely linked and sometimes interchangeable.
    Why not use ethnicity to describe ethnicity, and race to describe race? Ethnicity refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language, so why would you want to use race to describe ethnicity if it is not for political gain? Racism is meant to describe how victims are hurt when they are discriminated against specifically because of their race, so redefining racism can only marginalize the real problem of race specific discrimination. There are already anti discrimination laws in place that forbid discrimination because of race, but these laws spell out ethnicity, religion, and nationality separately. I don't see why you want to conflate race and ethnicity, since it only hurts the real victims.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why not use ethnicity to describe ethnicity, and race to describe race? Ethnicity refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language, so why would you want to use race to describe ethnicity if it is not for political gain? Racism is meant to describe how victims are hurt when they are discriminated against specifically because of their race, so redefining racism can only marginalize the real problem of race specific discrimination. There are already anti discrimination laws in place that forbid discrimination because of race, but these laws spell out ethnicity, religion, and nationality separately. I don't see why you want to conflate race and ethnicity, since it only hurts the real victims.
    Because, as I said before, which genetic groups of people are considered a race depends on the society and time period.
    But this is also semantics. The word "racism" is used for discrimination based on both race and ethnicity. Language is about communication. If most everyone uses the word for race and ethnicity, then that's what I'll use it for.

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Because, as I said before, which genetic groups of people are considered a race depends on the society and time period.
    But this is also semantics. The word "racism" is used for discrimination based on both race and ethnicity. Language is about communication. If most everyone uses the word for race and ethnicity, then that's what I'll use it for.
    If the meaning of the word gets changed in order to turn it into a political weapon, then you are not even using it for race OR ethnicity. Racism needs to be about race, ethnic discrimination needs to be about ethnicity. Conflating the two is only meant to politically weaponize the word.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If the meaning of the word gets changed in order to turn it into a political weapon, then you are not even using it for race OR ethnicity. Racism needs to be about race, ethnic discrimination needs to be about ethnicity. Conflating the two is only meant to politically weaponize the word.
    "Racism" was always used for ethnic discrimination. It wasn't just changed in order to be a political weapon.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Racism" was always used for ethnic discrimination. It wasn't just changed in order to be a political weapon.
    Racism and ethnic discrimination are two different things. They are not synonyms. They are not political weapons until you use the word "racism" to describe ethnic discrimination or other forms of bigotry that are not about race.

Why would you want your audience to think you are describing racist bigotry if you are talking about ethnic bigotry? Using the word "racism" to describe ethnic bigotry is deceitful and dishonest, since your audience may think you really are talking about race. Ethnic bigotry is not the same form of bigotry as racism bigotry, so you should use the correct word. If you use racism to describe non race bigotry of your political opponents, you are intentionally weaponizing the word since you do know that ethnic discrimination is not the same thing as racism.

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Racism and ethnic discrimination are two different things. They are not synonyms. They are not political weapons until you use the word "racism" to describe ethnic discrimination or other forms of bigotry that are not about race.

Why would you want your audience to think you are describing racist bigotry if you are talking about ethnic bigotry? Using the word "racism" to describe ethnic bigotry is deceitful and dishonest, since your audience may think you really are talking about race. Ethnic bigotry is not the same form of bigotry as racism bigotry, so you should use the correct word. If you use racism to describe non race bigotry of your political opponents, you are intentionally weaponizing the word since you do know that ethnic discrimination is not the same thing as racism.
    So tell ya what. Invent a new word that means ethnic discrimination, and from now on when then entire world uses racism to mean ethnic discrimination, we'll both correct them and tell them about your new word.

Not that this would change much in your quest to defend Trump.

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So tell ya what. Invent a new word that means ethnic discrimination, and from now on when then entire world uses racism to mean ethnic discrimination, we'll both correct them and tell them about your new word.

Not that this would change much in your quest to defend Trump.
    You can use "ethnic discrimination" when there is ethnic discrimination, and "racism" when it is about race. Afterall, they really are two different things.

Just because you choose to trick your audience into believing you are talking about racism when in fact you are really talking about ethnic bigotry, doesn't mean the whole world is doing it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (08-12-2019)

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You can use "ethnic discrimination" when there is ethnic discrimination, and "racism" when it is about race. Afterall, they really are two different things.

Just because you choose to trick your audience into believing you are talking about racism when in fact you are really talking about ethnic bigotry, doesn't mean the whole world is doing it.
    The whole world uses "racism" to refer to discrimination based on race and ethnicity. You're only using semantics here because you don't want to admit that Trump uses racism.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The whole world uses "racism" to refer to discrimination based on race and ethnicity. You're only using semantics here because you don't want to admit that Trump uses racism.

15. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not choosing to trick anyone. I'm using the word the same way everyone else uses it. This is just a semantic attempt to defend Trump.

16. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not choosing to trick anyone. I'm using the word the same way everyone else uses it. This is just a semantic attempt to defend Trump.
    How are you able to claim that everybody else uses "racism" when they are talking about something that is not racism? Better yet, since you do in fact know that race and ethnicity really are two different things, why do you intentionally use race in place of ethnicity? Is there some reason why you do not want your audience to know that you are talking about ethnicity?

It is a fallacy to think that just because you use a deceptive word to describe ethnicity, that the whole world must do the same thing. There are an awful lot of people who intentionally use the wrong word to create racism when it does not exist, but this does not change the actual meanings of words. It is political warfare, and it harms those who the real word is reserved for. When you intentionally misrepresent ethnicity by saying race, you are marginalizing the only word that victims of race specific bigotry (racism) have to describe what they are experiencing.