View Poll Results: Who was the most influential person in history?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sir Isaac Newton

1 8.33%
  • Jesus Christ

6 50.00%
  • Muhammad

1 8.33%
  • Johanas Guttenburg

4 33.33%
  • Tsai Lun

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who was the most influential person in human history?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Who was the most influential person in human history?

Being objective here would be my choices as the most influential person in human history.

Muhammad
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Jesus Christ
    Tsai Lun
    Johannas Guttenburg

My rational is as follows. I chose Muhammad as first because though there are more Christians than Muslims Muhammad was as influential as a religious philosopher and a politician, where as Jesus main influece is as a religious philosopher meaning Muhammad doubles up on his influence.

Picking one and two was really, really hard as you can make a great argument for Newton, the most influential scientist of all time. With the great philosophers we tend to judge their influence quantitatively, where no philosopher comes even close to the qualitative influence of Newton, who stands alone. When you balance out Muhammads religeous and political influence, he edges out Newton.

Jesus is third as having the greatest relgious/philosophical influence of any person in history.

Tsai Lun and Guttenburg are tough to place as with out them, then the influence of the first three would certainly not have been nearly as profound.

Tsai Lun founded the ancient traditional Chinese religion from whose philosophy all the great religions have borrowed from. Tsai Lun is also credited as the inventor of paper. That invention alone would put him on this list but his philisophical/religeous contribution edges him out over Guttenburg.

Guttenburg is last on the list but he did invent the most profound and influential invention of all time.

Anyways, it could be argued that anyone of these five are the most influential persons in human history.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 06-30-2008 at 07:27 AM.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

The guys who invented oil and antibiotics could be said to be the most influential people to the most people, because we'd probably have 1/6 our human population right now if they didn't exist.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Buddha doesn't even make your list, eh? Seems a bit Western Centric in the religious philosophy front.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tsai Lun founded the ancient traditional Chinese religion from whose philosophy all the great religions have borrowed from. Tsai Lun is also credited as the inventor of paper. That invention alone would put him on this list but his philosophical/religious contribution edges him out over Guttenburg.
    Tsai Lun was born in 100 AD. That places him ahead of Christianity and Judaism, although he could have still influenced Islam. Hinduism and Buddhism were both much older than either, but because of the proximity they could've been easily influenced anyway.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Buddha doesn't even make your list, eh? Seems a bit Western Centric in the religious philosophy front.
    There are like 500 million Buddhists in the world. And Buddhists aren't nearly as fanatical and delusional as Christians or Muslims, so there's no way that Buddha could even compare.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    There are like 500 million Buddhists in the world. And Buddhists aren't nearly as fanatical and delusional as Christians or Muslims, so there's no way that Buddha could even compare.
    Buddhism has influenced almost all Asian philosophies. It would be incomparably ignorant to reject such a fact and pretend that only Buddhists were influenced by him.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

The proliferation of the written word was a profound turning point for humanity. Were we still left with hand scribed books as our only source of written information, we would have far less of the modern civilization we enjoy.

The percentage of the population that is literate increased by leaps and bounds because of the increase in available books and other reading material.

Without this invention, the rest of the people would be less well known and the information from religions would be more controlled and controlling.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But people weren't generally very literate until the modern century.

Because oil and antibiotics allowed them the luxury.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But people weren't generally very literate until the modern century.

Because oil and antibiotics allowed them the luxury.
    The information passed on through books allowed those people to understand and create antibiotics, without the information exchange each new generation would have minimal advance because of the constant need to rediscover what has already been found by others.

That "most" people were not literate would not change that without the information exchange allowed by the printed word, it is unlikely that the advances they are known for would have happened.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The information passed on through books allowed those people to understand and create antibiotics, without the information exchange each new generation would have minimal advance because of the constant need to rediscover what has already been found by others.

That "most" people were not literate would not change that without the information exchange allowed by the printed word, it is unlikely that the advances they are known for would have happened.
    And without a power supply the CPU wouldn't run, so certainly the CPU is the least important part of a computer? Arguing that something wouldn't exist without something else is ultimately an idiotic way to waste your time, because it's all part of a system, and paper would be irrelevant without oil.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And without a power supply the CPU wouldn't run, so certainly the CPU is the least important part of a computer? Arguing that something wouldn't exist without something else is ultimately an idiotic way to waste your time, because it's all part of a system, and paper would be irrelevant without oil.
    What do you think "influence" means? It is how one thing effects the other. It is what the thread is about.

The printed word most definitely influenced the advances you are saying were the most influential. You argue that their existence created the largest influence, I suggest that they are only part of the larger influence that came from information exchange only allowed because of something with greater influence.

If you feel it is a waste of time, don't comment in a thread that is literally about what you don't want to speak on.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The guys who invented oil and antibiotics could be said to be the most influential people to the most people, because we'd probably have 1/6 our human population right now if they didn't exist.
    Not to parse words but oil and antibiotics were not invented but discovered. I also think you over estimate their influence. For example. What's more influential, the discovery of oil or the invention of the internal combustion engine and it's underpinning of Newtonian physics? Ditto for antibiotics. What's more influential the discovery of antibiotics or evolutionary theory which is its scientific underpinning?

If my list was "Most influential scientist" then certainly Charles Darwin would be #2 on the list.

Same with Inventors, though I'd place Nickolaus Otto much farther down the list of most influential inventors. That list would be;

Tsai Lun (invented paper)
    Guttenburg (invented movable type printing press)
    James Watt (invented steam engine)
    Eli Whitney (invented American Manufacturing system of interchangeable parts combined with power machinery)
    Nickolaus Otto (inventor of internal combustion engine)
    Henry Ford (inventor modern assembly line)

Notice that these all come in historical order? That is because the preceding inventor had a profound influence on those who came after.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jesus and Adam Smith {in Westurn Culture at least}
    GFY

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I did give serous thought to both Buddha and Confucious as well as to St. Pete. Where would Christianity have gone with out it's most influential proselytizer? But since I was limiting it to five, I had to make some tough choices.

As for being western centric. I don't think so. Two of the choices are middle eastern (semitic), one is Chinese and two are western European. If I was to expand the list to 8 I would include;

#6. Buddha
    #7. Confucious
    #8. St. Pete

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Buddhism has influenced almost all Asian philosophies. It would be incomparably ignorant to reject such a fact and pretend that only Buddhists were influenced by him.
    I agree.