Members banned from this thread: cancel2 2022, Legion, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM and Earl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pence to the Moon

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    The moon program created lots of jobs. A lot of technology that was created has become industries. It gave a huge jump to the US in compters and peaceful applications. The space program gave us a boost in mathematics, engineering, computer technology and many other areas of expertise. We should all push for space exploration.
    I agree it has done a great deal for us, but private industries are making the advancements now and the government can launch new industries. Our oceans for one. We have not explored our own oceans to the fullest extent. There is also green energy. I think we should find out about our own space before going to outer space, but that's just my personal opinion.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Once, I got on a plane and took my seat while waiting for the rest of the plane to board. A small kid in the seat behind me began kicking the back of my seat. I turned around to let the parent know this was not OK. His father seated next to him wasn't bothered. He had tattooed arms the size of a bouncer and a pack of Marlboros rolled up in his T shirt sleeve. As I contemplated the situation it was announced that boarding was complete and we'd be pulling back in a moment. I noticed an empty seat two rows up so I simply got up and moved.

Then it was announced we'd be delayed a moment while they boarded a few more passengers. Sure enough, a woman got on and had been assigned the middle seat I was now in. As I began to get up she noticed the empty window seat I had vacated and said don't bother, she's prefer that instead. I thanked her and stayed where I was. I secretly hoped she could have a better experience there than I did.
    Why didn't you alert the flight staff??

Were you scared??

Were you afraid they would laugh at you??
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I agree it has done a great deal for us, but private industries are making the advancements now and the government can launch new industries. Our oceans for one. We have not explored our own oceans to the fullest extent. There is also green energy. I think we should find out about our own space before going to outer space, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Wouldn't that be like "We should take care of the people in the US and fix the problems in the US; before we try to fix everyone else's problems."!!
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 41 Posts

What is all this going to the Moon nonsense? Are we so flush with money that we can take on these ridiculous projects?

Give us good healthcare to rally the patriotism in this country, not some stupid mission to the Moon, or Mars.

Improve our infrastructure!

They really are trying to take us back, old white guy nostalgia.

Its just so stupid.
    The opportunities in space are astronomical, excuse the pun, and it will alter the course of human history.

A half of children in China want to be astronauts. Most kids in western countries want to be Youtubers. Do the math

You guys defunded space exploration and look where it got you.
    The anti-Trumper's new mantra:

“B-b-but muh White supremacy”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heff For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-22-2019)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    As far as bullet trains we can look at California to see how that works. From a political perspective you have about as ideal of conditions as your could want. You have a heavily blue state where Republicans have little to no power. We have high taxes and people who claim to care about infrastructure. And yet it has been a disaster to the extent Governor Newsom has it not so many words put it on hold (the LA to SF portion). Not to mention you have these (progressive) communities fighting it because they don't want tracks near where they live.

I guess someone could argue the federal government should step in and eliminate all rights of the state and local communities to force it to be built. But even in progressive California that wouldn't fly.
    If we let individuals stand in the way of progress we would have no interstates and instead be stuck with a patchwork of highways woven in between existing properties without any sense of planing. There would be a myriad of traffic signals, more highway crowding and deaths. It would take approx twice as long to do a distant trip by car. The rights of the many both present and future must be weighed against the rights of the individual.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

I kind of agree with that. There is so much more we can do here with the money. Connecting our country with a network of bullet trains would save tons of CO2 from the atmosphere and create tons of jobs. It would also enhance our economy by making us more interconnected. Not to mention that just because government decides not to spend so heavily in space is no reason that private industry won't be doing it anyway.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-21-2019)

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heff View Post
    The opportunities in space are astronomical, excuse the pun, and it will alter the course of human history.

A half of children in China want to be astronauts. Most kids in western countries want to be Youtubers. Do the math

You guys defunded space exploration and look where it got you.
    Reminder: Obama was handed a crippled economy to patch up and faced vociferous Republican deficit hawks. Those Republican deficit hawks have all vanished and been replaced by spendthrifts who went on and on about fixing healthcare but then when they got their chance at the karaoke mic totally froze up and couldn't produce a peep of actionable health care reform. Do what you said you were going to do before you tell us what you want to do next.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-21-2019)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

As far as bullet trains we can look at California to see how that works. From a political perspective you have about as ideal of conditions as your could want. You have a heavily blue state where Republicans have little to no power. We have high taxes and people who claim to care about infrastructure. And yet it has been a disaster to the extent Governor Newsom has it not so many words put it on hold (the LA to SF portion). Not to mention you have these (progressive) communities fighting it because they don't want tracks near where they live.

I guess someone could argue the federal government should step in and eliminate all rights of the state and local communities to force it to be built. But even in progressive California that wouldn't fly.
    Yes, I live here to, as do others & we hear all the time from the not progressive communities that they want those tracks by their house.

It's stupid is the reason.......... @ least here, this isn't the eastern seaboard...

You can already fly-not subsidized for less & much faster....... IMHO simply a waste...

First time there is an earthquake & a train flys off they will be calling it the old ghost train...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    The moon program created lots of jobs. A lot of technology that was created has become industries. It gave a huge jump to the US in compters and peaceful applications. The space program gave us a boost in mathematics, engineering, computer technology and many other areas of expertise. We should all push for space exploration.
    Will there be jobs for Americans?? Or will they bring in H1B for the high paying jobs??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yes, I live here to, as do others & we hear all the time from the not progressive communities that they want those tracks by their house.

It's stupid is the reason.......... @ least here, this isn't the eastern seaboard...

You can already fly-not subsidized for less & much faster....... IMHO simply a waste...

First time there is an earthquake & a train flys off they will be calling it the old ghost train...
    Was the S.F. to L.A. version of the train going through Sacramento? (not a rhetorical question, I thought it was Bakersfield and the Central Valley - not Sac)

I mention progressive communities because I'm most familiar with what's being discussed in the Bay Area and the resistance here. That's not to suggest more conservative communities would be open to it. And I was painting a picture of the (progressive) political environment which in theory would be most open to this high speed rail.

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Was the S.F. to L.A. version of the train going through Sacramento? (not a rhetorical question, I thought it was Bakersfield and the Central Valley - not Sac)

I mention progressive communities because I'm most familiar with what's being discussed in the Bay Area and the resistance here. That's not to suggest more conservative communities would be open to it. And I was painting a picture of the (progressive) political environment which in theory would be most open to this high speed rail.
    No, not right away, it was going to extend there supposedly @ some point..

What do you think about it??

They are "planning" bakersfield to Merced?? -sounds like a joke to me..... One shithole to another, the middle of no where...

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    No, not right away, it was going to extend there supposedly @ some point..

What do you think about it??

They are "planning" bakersfield to Merced?? -sounds like a joke to me..... One shithole to another, the middle of no where...
    I thought it was a big boondoggle from the start. I'm not ideologically opposed to high speed rail. I'm all for new transportation alternatives if they work and are cost effective etc. Our roads are a damn mess. But after reading about all the money going to consultants and how they were going about it and after talking to some acquaintances who were involved I was against it from the start. And with the extraordinary cost overruns and how everything has gone down that's exactly how it's played out.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Bill (07-21-2019), cancel2 2022 (07-22-2019)

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I thought it was a big boondoggle from the start. I'm not ideologically opposed to high speed rail. I'm all for new transportation alternatives if they work and are cost effective etc. Our roads are a damn mess. But after reading about all the money going to consultants and how they were going about it and after talking to some acquaintances who were involved I was against it from the start. And with the extraordinary cost overruns and how everything has gone down that's exactly how it's played out.
    I have never been for it either..... The only thing I saw as a positive~if it can be called that, was the jobs brown talked about.. Sadly it reminded me kinda of that story about "dulling the axes, that which once took one blow, will not take five, thus more men will be @ work"

You know how it is if you are driving home up 5 on a Sunday night. Bumper to bumper from Pasadena all the way to Tracy ( several hundred thousand vehicles)??.. How many is a single train going to carry??

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

What is all this going to the Moon nonsense? Are we so flush with money that we can take on these ridiculous projects?

Give us good healthcare to rally the patriotism in this country, not some stupid mission to the Moon, or Mars.

Improve our infrastructure!

They really are trying to take us back, old white guy nostalgia.

Its just so stupid.
    I admit I am a space geek and have always been inclined towards significant funding for NASA.

My head tells me that your point makes total sense.

I also think manned space exploration is superfluous and unwarranted at this time. We really should just be funding unmanned interplanetary probes and telescopes and other technological platforms in low earth orbit.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I admit I am a space geek and have always been inclined towards significant funding for NASA.

My head tells me that your point makes total sense.

I also think manned space exploration is superfluous and unwarranted at this time. We really should just be funding unmanned interplanetary probes and telescopes and other technological platforms in low earth orbit.
    I worry about our oceans. I guess that is why my focus would be on them. We have a direct impact on our oceans.
    I love space, but I just think the ocean is more urgent.