Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congressional chaplain exorcises 'all spirits of darkness' in House chamber...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Congressional chaplain exorcises 'all spirits of darkness' in House chamber...

This country is fucked. I am normally a fairly optimistic person. Congress needs to go. Everyone of them. Change them out. Now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hous...ongress-2019-7

Things have gotten so bad in Congress that a priest prayed to 'cast out all spirits of darkness' on the House floor.

WASHINGTON — It has been quite the week in Congress, with lawmakers battling over a forced impeachment resolution against President Donald Trump, partisan squabbling, and rampant infighting within the House Democratic Caucus.

Things have become so vexed in the Capitol that Rev. Patrick Conroy, the House of Representatives' official chaplain and a Jesuit priest, prayed to "cast out all spirits of darkness" on the House floor Thursday morning during his opening prayer.

"This has been a difficult and contentious week in which darker spirits seem to have been at play in the people's House," Conroy said. "In your most holy name, I now cast out all spirits of darkness from this chamber. Spirits not from You."

"I cast out the spirit of discouragement, which deadens the hope of those who are of good will," he added. "I cast out the spirit of petty divisiveness, which clouds the sense and the desire to be of fruitful productivity in addressing the issues more appropriately before this House. I cast out any sadness brought on by the frustration of dealing with matters detrimental to the honorable work each member has been called to engage in."

Conroy then prayed to God to "anoint your servants here in the House with a healing balm to comfort and renew the souls of all in this assembly."

"May your spirit of wisdom and patience descend upon all so that any spirit of darkness might have no place in our midst," he added.

Conroy typically leads the opening prayer on the House floor, while leaders of other religious groups will often take his place to perform as guests.

The last time Conroy made headlines was in spring 2018, when then-House Speaker Paul Ryan attempted to fire him as House chaplain. According to several lawmakers at the time, Ryan became frustrated with one of Conroy's prayers, in which he called for a fair tax code while Republicans were pushing through their landmark Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Conroy ultimately rescinded the resignation that Ryan had requested after many members of Congress came to his defense. He then continued in his role as House chaplain, a position he has held since 2011.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

How are they gonna get ANYTHING done now that the democrats have been chased out?
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Sailor (07-18-2019), Stretch (07-18-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    This country is fucked. I am normally a fairly optimistic person. Congress needs to go. Everyone of them. Change them out. Now.

Things have gotten so bad in Congress that a priest prayed to 'cast out all spirits of darkness' on the House floor.

WASHINGTON — It has been quite the week in Congress, with lawmakers battling over a forced impeachment resolution against President Donald Trump, partisan squabbling, and rampant infighting within the House Democratic Caucus.

Things have become so vexed in the Capitol that Rev. Patrick Conroy, the House of Representatives' official chaplain and a Jesuit priest, prayed to "cast out all spirits of darkness" on the House floor Thursday morning during his opening prayer.

"This has been a difficult and contentious week in which darker spirits seem to have been at play in the people's House," Conroy said. "In your most holy name, I now cast out all spirits of darkness from this chamber. Spirits not from You."

"I cast out the spirit of discouragement, which deadens the hope of those who are of good will," he added. "I cast out the spirit of petty divisiveness, which clouds the sense and the desire to be of fruitful productivity in addressing the issues more appropriately before this House. I cast out any sadness brought on by the frustration of dealing with matters detrimental to the honorable work each member has been called to engage in."

Conroy then prayed to God to "anoint your servants here in the House with a healing balm to comfort and renew the souls of all in this assembly."

"May your spirit of wisdom and patience descend upon all so that any spirit of darkness might have no place in our midst," he added.

Conroy typically leads the opening prayer on the House floor, while leaders of other religious groups will often take his place to perform as guests.

The last time Conroy made headlines was in spring 2018, when then-House Speaker Paul Ryan attempted to fire him as House chaplain. According to several lawmakers at the time, Ryan became frustrated with one of Conroy's prayers, in which he called for a fair tax code while Republicans were pushing through their landmark Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Conroy ultimately rescinded the resignation that Ryan had requested after many members of Congress came to his defense. He then continued in his role as House chaplain, a position he has held since 2011.
    You mean the likes of Nunes, Jordan, Gohmert, Meadows and Collins should go? Or is it just the ones you don't like, all the Democrats?

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You mean the likes of Nunes, Jordan, Gohmert, Meadows and Collins should go? Or is it just the ones you don't like, all the Democrats?
    Every fucking one. If you are an incumbent, you are out.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

The thing is even if we get all new people in there nothing ever changes. There's a bigger fundamental problem at hand.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 Times in 7,537 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The thing is even if we get all new people in there nothing ever changes. There's a bigger fundamental problem at hand.
    Agreed. It's called social media.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

After re-reading my own post headline "Congressional chaplain exorcises 'all spirits of darkness' in House chamber.." I am surprised Democrats are not construing that as somehow racist..

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seems to be that he was praying for everyone to put aside their decisiveness and work towards cooperation.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Every fucking one. If you are an incumbent, you are out.
    Congress has always been the weak link in America!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I thought about that. Congress needs to keep churning like prop wash. If people would do that for only a couple of election cycles, the only people you would see running are ones that actually want to do the job for the American people. Not drama queens, those to fucking stupid to hold a job in the real world or ones just profiting off their political positions.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I agree,Congress is like herding Cats to Dodge City
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Not always. There is a reason this country grew and the reason for our rights. We need to get back to that.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Seems to be that he was praying for everyone to put aside their decisiveness and work towards cooperation.
    Nah, he was performing a exorcism on the demon Democrats....hehehehe.....

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not always. There is a reason this country grew and the reason for our rights. We need to get back to that.
    That was despite Congress!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    What is your proposal to change or get rid of them? Whether you like them or not, they do, for the most part, represent America.