Thread: House Votes To Hold Barr And Ross In Criminal Contempt Of Congress

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default House Votes To Hold Barr And Ross In Criminal Contempt Of Congress

"The House voted to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in criminal contempt on Wednesday, escalating a battle between the Trump administration and congressional Democrats.

The measure holds the Trump Cabinet members in contempt for defying subpoenas for documents on their since-abandoned efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The chamber approved the measure in a party-line vote of 230-198, with four Democrats joining all Republicans in voting against the resolution.

Democrats argued the measure was necessary to hold officials accountable for “obstruction & oppose efforts to undermine the census.” It passed the House Oversight and Reform Committee along party lines ahead of the July Fourth recess.

“The resolution that's before us today is about protecting our democracy. ... It is about protecting the integrity of this body — it's bigger than the census. It's about protecting the integrity of the Congress of the United States of America,” Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said on the floor.

“We need to understand how and why the Trump administration tried to add a question based on pretext so we can consider reforms to ensure this never happens again,” he said."

House Votes To Hold Barr And Ross In Criminal Contempt Of Congress
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (07-18-2019), Phantasmal (07-18-2019), Trumpet (07-19-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Meaningless theatrics. A new low for the House of Representatives led by the lunatics in the Democratic Party of the Jackass.

The chamber approved the measure in a party-line vote of 230-198, with four Democrats joining all Republicans in voting against the resolution.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Earl (07-19-2019), Stretch (07-18-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The swamp stinketh over
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (07-19-2019), Phantasmal (07-18-2019), Trumpet (07-19-2019)

9. #4 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,508 Times in 16,972 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-19-2019), Earl (07-19-2019), Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,748 Times in 33,619 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "The House voted to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in criminal contempt on Wednesday, escalating a battle between the Trump administration and congressional Democrats.

The measure holds the Trump Cabinet members in contempt for defying subpoenas for documents on their since-abandoned efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The chamber approved the measure in a party-line vote of 230-198, with four Democrats joining all Republicans in voting against the resolution.

Democrats argued the measure was necessary to hold officials accountable for “obstruction & oppose efforts to undermine the census.” It passed the House Oversight and Reform Committee along party lines ahead of the July Fourth recess.

“The resolution that's before us today is about protecting our democracy. ... It is about protecting the integrity of this body — it's bigger than the census. It's about protecting the integrity of the Congress of the United States of America,” Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said on the floor.

“We need to understand how and why the Trump administration tried to add a question based on pretext so we can consider reforms to ensure this never happens again,” he said."

I keep asking now what? So?

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

The measure holds the Trump Cabinet members in contempt for defying subpoenas for documents on their since-abandoned efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.
    I don't know how you were diverted / You were perverted too
    I don't know how you were inverted / No one alerted you

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (07-19-2019), Truth Detector (07-19-2019)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trey Gowdy: 'Nobody cares what Congress does ... The House doesn't matter anymore'
    "Barr is ostensibly being held in contempt for not turning over documents he has no legal obligation to turn over. In fact, it would be against the law to do so," Gowdy said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum."
    Gowdy said contempt of Congress didn't matter after Tuesday, when Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi violated House rules.
    "Nobody cares what Congress does. What we saw yesterday -- they can't even enforce their own House rules against their own members. So, there used to be a stigma attached to being held in contempt of Congress. There ain't no more," Gowdy said. "So, I would tell Bill Barr, 'Your reputation as an incredible lawyer is intact. Don't give it another thought.'"
    "Congress has worked itself into obscurity [and] irrelevance. When you can go on the floor of the House as the presidents say 'I'm going to do it with or without you,' and Congress stands up and cheers, you have rendered that branch of government feckless and irrelevant," Gowdy said. "Congratulations. The House doesn't matter anymore. White House and Senate [matter], House doesn't matter."
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/trey-g...matter-anymore
    A floor fight erupts after Nancy Pelosi urges Congress to vote to condemn President Trump's 'racist tweets'
    The Democrat-controlled House of Representatives passed a resolution Tuesday evening condemning President Trump's "racist" remarks this weekend -- although the moment was largely overshadowed by a dramatic floor fight earlier in the day that ended with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ruled out of order for a breach of decorum.

The unexpected mayhem in Congress, which briefly resulted in the revocation of Pelosi's speaking privileges on the House floor, left commentators and lawmakers stunned. "So, Democrats vote to break House rules and decorum, so that they can call Trump out on decorum. Surreal," wrote Wall Street Journal columnist Kimberley Strassel.
    But, what Democrat leaders envisioned as a moment of Democrat unity turned out to be a striking display of disarray.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...r-fight-pelosi

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (07-19-2019), RB 60 (07-18-2019), Stretch (07-18-2019), Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I keep asking now what? So?
    Oh, you already know that answer. We all do. Republicans vote Holder in contempt and it's big news. Democrats hold Barr AND ROSS in contempt and it is immediately scrolled off the news by chants of hatred.

17. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-18-2019), Trumpet (07-19-2019)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Moose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Was wondering how they would spin that. Thanks.

And pardon me but Congress has every legal right to require Barr to comply.

20. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Moose,

Was wondering how they would spin that. Thanks.

And pardon me but Congress has every legal right to require Barr to comply.
    OK but I won't hold my breath. Will they force him to at gunpoint?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (07-19-2019), Stretch (07-18-2019), Truth Detector (07-19-2019)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    OK but I won't hold my breath. Will they force him to at gunpoint?
    He will comply with the law or face the public scrutiny of being Trump's lawyer who ironically does not comply with the law.

24. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

25. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Nobody cares what Congress does. What we saw yesterday -- they can't even enforce their own House rules against their own members. So, there used to be a stigma attached to being held in contempt of Congress. There ain't no more," Gowdy said. "So, I would tell Bill Barr, 'Your reputation as an incredible lawyer is intact. Don't give it another thought.'"
    "Congress has worked itself into obscurity [and] irrelevance.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

27. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

He will comply with the law or face the public scrutiny of being Trump's lawyer who ironically does not comply with the law.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

29. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    Nobody cares what Congress does. What we saw yesterday -- they can't even enforce their own House rules against their own members. So, there used to be a stigma attached to being held in contempt of Congress. There ain't no more," Gowdy said. "So, I would tell Bill Barr, 'Your reputation as an incredible lawyer is intact. Don't give it another thought.'"
    "Congress has worked itself into obscurity [and] irrelevance.
    You know there is a big distinction between calling the president a racist and calling what he said to be 'racist remarks.'

But I'm sure you'll wave that distinction to give Putin the benefit of the doubt.

30. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-19-2019)

31. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

You know there is a big distinction between calling the president a racist and calling what he said to be 'racist remarks.
    distinction without a difference- it's still playing the race card when the comments by POTUS were not race based
    But I'm sure you'll wave that distinction to give Putin the benefit of the doubt.
    WTF does Putin have to do with this?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post: