Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley votes to rename manholes gender-neutral ‘maintenanceholes’

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Berkeley votes to rename manholes gender-neutral ‘maintenanceholes’

Maybe these folks are playing chess and changing the future. Or one can ask have you nothing better to do? Will society be different in 60 to 100 hundred years because we use gender neutral terms?

Berkeley votes to rename manholes gender-neutral ‘maintenanceholes’

The hole truth and nothing but the truth

The Berkeley City Council voted Tuesday to amend its municipal code to excise gender-specific terms in favor of gender neutral ones, meaning that, among other things, a “manhole” will soon be known as a “maintenancehole.”

Berkeley City Clerk Mark Numainville told Curbed SF that the ordinance, which came up first on the council’s consent calendar at the meeting, passed unanimously on the first reading.

In part, the text of the measure reads: “Revising the Berkeley Municipal Code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language [...] to indicate that whenever a gender neutral personal pronoun is used, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also.”

A city staff memo included in the paperwork for the vote notes that “in recent years, broadening societal awareness of transgender and gender-nonconforming identities has brought to light the importance of non-binary gender inclusivity. Therefore, it is both timely and necessary to make the environment of City Hall and the language of city legislation consistent with the principles of inclusion.”

Along with the aforementioned maintenanceholes, rather than “craftsmen” the city will use the words “craftspeople” or “artisans,” “firefighters’ instead of “firemen,” and “repairers” instead of “repairmen.”

The change will require a second vote on July 23 before officially becoming law. Given the unanimity, there’s little suspense about the measure’s eventual fate.

Councilmember Rigel Robinson first introduced the proposal in March. Name-changing costs to the city are estimated at approximately $600.

For the record, Merriam-Webster’s dictionary dates the first use of the English word manhole to 1765, around the same time as notable advancements in sewer design and plumbing technology in Europe, including the first patented flush toilet.

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/7/17/2069...gender-neutral

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Maybe these folks are playing chess and changing the future. Or one can ask have you nothing better to do? Will society be different in 60 to 100 hundred years because we use gender neutral terms?

The Berkeley City Council voted Tuesday to amend its municipal code to excise gender-specific terms in favor of gender neutral ones, meaning that, among other things, a “manhole” will soon be known as a “maintenancehole.”

Berkeley City Clerk Mark Numainville told Curbed SF that the ordinance, which came up first on the council’s consent calendar at the meeting, passed unanimously on the first reading.

In part, the text of the measure reads: “Revising the Berkeley Municipal Code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language [...] to indicate that whenever a gender neutral personal pronoun is used, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also.”

A city staff memo included in the paperwork for the vote notes that “in recent years, broadening societal awareness of transgender and gender-nonconforming identities has brought to light the importance of non-binary gender inclusivity. Therefore, it is both timely and necessary to make the environment of City Hall and the language of city legislation consistent with the principles of inclusion.”

Along with the aforementioned maintenanceholes, rather than “craftsmen” the city will use the words “craftspeople” or “artisans,” “firefighters’ instead of “firemen,” and “repairers” instead of “repairmen.”

The change will require a second vote on July 23 before officially becoming law. Given the unanimity, there’s little suspense about the measure’s eventual fate.

Councilmember Rigel Robinson first introduced the proposal in March. Name-changing costs to the city are estimated at approximately $600.

For the record, Merriam-Webster’s dictionary dates the first use of the English word manhole to 1765, around the same time as notable advancements in sewer design and plumbing technology in Europe, including the first patented flush toilet.

Well, I gotta say, I wouldn't want to be using the term "manhole" in that part of the country. Maybe they should strike the term "hole" as well. How about, "subterranean infrastructure maintenance access points"?
    Every life matters

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (07-18-2019), RB 60 (07-18-2019), Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Whew...I’m so glad they took care of that nagging problem. I feel so much better now and can go about my day.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

countryboy (07-18-2019), Mason Melchizedek (07-18-2019), RB 60 (07-18-2019), Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have stopped being surprised by how far the morons on the left are willing to take identity politics.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Well, I gotta say, I wouldn't want to be using the term "manhole" in that part of the country. Maybe they should strike the term "hole" as well. How about, subterranean infrastructure access points"?
    GOOD POINT!!!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

countryboy (07-18-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Can't say I ever really ever concerned myself with what someone called a cover over a sewer, but I have to ask why such things seem to so greatly upset the right, who cares other than the people who live there, and if that is what they want to call them, fine

Real motivation is the chance to project one whacky moment on to an entire way of thought to fabricate generalizations aimed at discrediting the entire ideology. Favorite strategdy of the demogogues, entertaining, but useless, reality is nobody gives a rat's ass what people in Berekely call anything

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

This was an issue that should have been addressed by a Amendment to the Constitution!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Can't say I ever really ever concerned myself with what someone called a cover over a sewer, but I have to ask why such things seem to so greatly upset the right, who cares other than the people who live there, and if that is what they want to call them, fine

Real motivation is the chance to project one whacky moment on to an entire way of thought to fabricate generalizations aimed at discrediting the entire ideology. Favorite strategdy of the demogogues, entertaining, but useless, reality is nobody gives a rat's ass what people in Berekely call anything
    It's a discussion board Archives. And the push for gender neutral terms isn't unique to Berkeley. I happened to post this gender neutral story because I live here and get the SF Curbed email each day. If you want to call me a demagogue and declare the topic off limits that is your right. But clearly there are folks who believe gender neutral terms is the way we should go forward as a society. I want to hear others opinion on it.

If you don't want to talk about it you don't have to. Just don't respond.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (07-18-2019)

13. #9 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,510 Times in 16,973 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

You idiot, we aren't upset. We think it's amusing how stupid the left has become.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (07-18-2019), Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gonna go grab some maintenance hole...
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-18-2019)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

I’ll look around my place to see if I can find my give-a-fuck. I doubt I’ll have any luck.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

“Revising the Berkeley Municipal Code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language [...] to indicate that whenever a gender neutral personal pronoun is used, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also.”
    lol

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's the LEFT that appears to be greatly upset; why do you think they want to rename shit?

You mean like Russian Collusion? Stealing elections? Stormy Daniels? STFU

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    This was an issue that should have been addressed by a Amendment to the Constitution!

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    You idiot, we aren't upset. We think it's amusing how stupid the left has become.
    BINGO!!