Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ĎTrumpís Going to Get Re-elected, Isnít He?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    24,366
    Thanks
    7,740
    Thanked 13,746 Times in 9,643 Posts
    Groans
    173
    Groaned 1,217 Times in 1,152 Posts

    Default ĎTrumpís Going to Get Re-elected, Isnít He?

    Iím struck at how many people have come up to me recently and said, ďTrumpís going to get re-elected, isnít he?Ē And in each case, when I drilled down to ask why, I bumped into the Democratic presidential debates in June. I think a lot of Americans were shocked by some of the things they heard there. I was.

    I was shocked that so many candidates in the party whose nominee I was planning to support want to get rid of the private health insurance covering some 250 million Americans and have ďMedicare for allĒ instead. I think we should strengthen Obamacare and eventually add a public option.

    I was shocked that so many were ready to decriminalize illegal entry into our country. I think people should have to ring the doorbell before they enter my house or my country.

    I was shocked at all those hands raised in support of providing comprehensive health coverage to undocumented immigrants. I think promises weíve made to our fellow Americans should take priority, like to veterans in need of better health care.

    And I was shocked by how feeble was front-runner Joe Bidenís response to the attack from Kamala Harris ó and to the more extreme ideas promoted by those to his left.


    So, I wasnít surprised to hear so many people expressing fear that the racist, divisive, climate-change-denying, woman-abusing jerk who is our president was going to get re-elected, and was even seeing his poll numbers rise.

    Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!

    But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. ďNo,Ē you say, ďthe left wants a revolution now!Ē O.K., Iíll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.

    Four years of Trump feeling validated in all the crazy stuff heís done and said. Four years of Trump unburdened by the need to run for re-election and able to amplify his racism, make Ivanka secretary of state, appoint even more crackpots to his cabinet and likely get to name two right-wing Supreme Court justices under the age of 40.

    Yes sir, that will be a revolution!

    It will be an overthrow of all the norms, values, rules and institutions that we cherish, that made us who we are and that have united us in this common project called the United States of America.

    If the fear of that doesnít motivate the Democratic Partyís base, then shame on those people. Not all elections are equal. Some elections are a vote for great changes ó like the Great Society. Others are a vote to save the country. This election is the latter.

    That doesnít mean a Democratic candidate should stand for nothing, just keep it simple: Focus on building national unity and good jobs.

    I say national unity because many Americans are terrified and troubled by how bitterly divided, and therefore paralyzed, the country has become. There is an opening for a unifier.

    And I say good jobs because when the wealth of the top 1 percent equals that of the bottom 90 percent, we do have to redivide the pie. I favor raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to subsidize universal pre-K education and to reduce the burden of student loans. Letís give kids a head start and college grads a fresh start.

    But Iím disturbed that so few of the Democratic candidates donít also talk about growing the pie, let alone celebrating American entrepreneurs and risk-takers. Where do they think jobs come from?

    The winning message is to double down on redividing the pie in ways that give everyone an opportunity for a slice while also growing the pie sustainably.

    Trump is growing the pie by cannibalizing the future. He is creating a growth spurt by building up enormous financial and carbon debts that our kids will pay for.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/o...rump-2020.html

    Democrats should focus on how we create sustainable wealth and good jobs, which is the American public-private partnership model: Government enriches the soil and entrepreneurs grow the companies.

    It has always been whatís made us rich, and weíve drifted away from it: investing in quality education and basic scientific research; promulgating the right laws and regulations to incentivize risk-taking and prevent recklessness and monopolies that can cripple free markets; encouraging legal immigration of both high-energy and high-I.Q. foreigners; and building the worldís best enabling infrastructure ó ports, roads, bandwidth and basic social safety nets.

    Ask Gina Raimondo, Rhode Islandís governor, and my kind of Democrat. She was just elected in 2018 for a second term. In both her elections she had to win a primary against a more-left Democrat. When Raimondo took office in 2015, Rhode Island had unemployment near 7 percent, and over 20 percent in some of the building trades.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

    Stretch (07-17-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    land-locked in Ocala,FL
    Posts
    18,635
    Thanks
    20,300
    Thanked 11,531 Times in 7,989 Posts
    Groans
    235
    Groaned 759 Times in 721 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    I’m struck at how many people have come up to me recently and said, “Trump’s going to get re-elected, isn’t he?” And in each case, when I drilled down to ask why, I bumped into the Democratic presidential debates in June. I think a lot of Americans were shocked by some of the things they heard there. I was.

    I was shocked that so many candidates in the party whose nominee I was planning to support want to get rid of the private health insurance covering some 250 million Americans and have “Medicare for all” instead. I think we should strengthen Obamacare and eventually add a public option.

    I was shocked that so many were ready to decriminalize illegal entry into our country. I think people should have to ring the doorbell before they enter my house or my country.

    I was shocked at all those hands raised in support of providing comprehensive health coverage to undocumented immigrants. I think promises we’ve made to our fellow Americans should take priority, like to veterans in need of better health care.

    And I was shocked by how feeble was front-runner Joe Biden’s response to the attack from Kamala Harris — and to the more extreme ideas promoted by those to his left.


    So, I wasn’t surprised to hear so many people expressing fear that the racist, divisive, climate-change-denying, woman-abusing jerk who is our president was going to get re-elected, and was even seeing his poll numbers rise.

    Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!

    But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. “No,” you say, “the left wants a revolution now!” O.K., I’ll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.

    Four years of Trump feeling validated in all the crazy stuff he’s done and said. Four years of Trump unburdened by the need to run for re-election and able to amplify his racism, make Ivanka secretary of state, appoint even more crackpots to his cabinet and likely get to name two right-wing Supreme Court justices under the age of 40.

    Yes sir, that will be a revolution!

    It will be an overthrow of all the norms, values, rules and institutions that we cherish, that made us who we are and that have united us in this common project called the United States of America.

    If the fear of that doesn’t motivate the Democratic Party’s base, then shame on those people. Not all elections are equal. Some elections are a vote for great changes — like the Great Society. Others are a vote to save the country. This election is the latter.

    That doesn’t mean a Democratic candidate should stand for nothing, just keep it simple: Focus on building national unity and good jobs.

    I say national unity because many Americans are terrified and troubled by how bitterly divided, and therefore paralyzed, the country has become. There is an opening for a unifier.

    And I say good jobs because when the wealth of the top 1 percent equals that of the bottom 90 percent, we do have to redivide the pie. I favor raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to subsidize universal pre-K education and to reduce the burden of student loans. Let’s give kids a head start and college grads a fresh start.

    But I’m disturbed that so few of the Democratic candidates don’t also talk about growing the pie, let alone celebrating American entrepreneurs and risk-takers. Where do they think jobs come from?

    The winning message is to double down on redividing the pie in ways that give everyone an opportunity for a slice while also growing the pie sustainably.

    Trump is growing the pie by cannibalizing the future. He is creating a growth spurt by building up enormous financial and carbon debts that our kids will pay for.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/o...rump-2020.html

    Democrats should focus on how we create sustainable wealth and good jobs, which is the American public-private partnership model: Government enriches the soil and entrepreneurs grow the companies.

    It has always been what’s made us rich, and we’ve drifted away from it: investing in quality education and basic scientific research; promulgating the right laws and regulations to incentivize risk-taking and prevent recklessness and monopolies that can cripple free markets; encouraging legal immigration of both high-energy and high-I.Q. foreigners; and building the world’s best enabling infrastructure — ports, roads, bandwidth and basic social safety nets.

    Ask Gina Raimondo, Rhode Island’s governor, and my kind of Democrat. She was just elected in 2018 for a second term. In both her elections she had to win a primary against a more-left Democrat. When Raimondo took office in 2015, Rhode Island had unemployment near 7 percent, and over 20 percent in some of the building trades.
    Just when I try to take some author seriously they say 'carbon debts'.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

    Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.



  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

    Havana Moon (07-18-2019)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,967
    Thanks
    3,080
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,862 Posts
    Groans
    1,231
    Groaned 460 Times in 421 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Yeah. the elites like him as a lightning rod and he serves their agenda as fine as any liberal candidate would do.
    Quick, send those on-site researchers some computer models

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    10,908
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Groans
    84
    Groaned 710 Times in 653 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Yeah. the elites like him as a lightning rod and he serves their agenda as fine as any liberal candidate would do.
    Probably better, since he's better for big business than liberal candidates.

    Richard Spencer is so right. Trump gives us racist tweets as red meat, but when it comes to actions, he's all about the elites and their multiracialism.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    24,366
    Thanks
    7,740
    Thanked 13,746 Times in 9,643 Posts
    Groans
    173
    Groaned 1,217 Times in 1,152 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Just when I try to take some author seriously they say 'carbon debts'.
    It's Thomas Friedman. a globalist first and foremost .He backs up Christina Amanpour and her CNN gig.

    He hates Trump -but he's calling out the extremist Dems as losers

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

    Stretch (07-18-2019)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    6,246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,856 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 110 Times in 107 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Iím struck at how many people have come up to me recently and said, ďTrumpís going to get re-elected, isnít he?Ē And in each case, when I drilled down to ask why, I bumped into the Democratic presidential debates in June. I think a lot of Americans were shocked by some of the things they heard there. I was.

    I was shocked that so many candidates in the party whose nominee I was planning to support want to get rid of the private health insurance covering some 250 million Americans and have ďMedicare for allĒ instead. I think we should strengthen Obamacare and eventually add a public option.

    I was shocked that so many were ready to decriminalize illegal entry into our country. I think people should have to ring the doorbell before they enter my house or my country.

    I was shocked at all those hands raised in support of providing comprehensive health coverage to undocumented immigrants. I think promises weíve made to our fellow Americans should take priority, like to veterans in need of better health care.

    And I was shocked by how feeble was front-runner Joe Bidenís response to the attack from Kamala Harris ó and to the more extreme ideas promoted by those to his left.


    So, I wasnít surprised to hear so many people expressing fear that the racist, divisive, climate-change-denying, woman-abusing jerk who is our president was going to get re-elected, and was even seeing his poll numbers rise.

    Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!

    But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. ďNo,Ē you say, ďthe left wants a revolution now!Ē O.K., Iíll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.

    Four years of Trump feeling validated in all the crazy stuff heís done and said. Four years of Trump unburdened by the need to run for re-election and able to amplify his racism, make Ivanka secretary of state, appoint even more crackpots to his cabinet and likely get to name two right-wing Supreme Court justices under the age of 40.

    Yes sir, that will be a revolution!

    It will be an overthrow of all the norms, values, rules and institutions that we cherish, that made us who we are and that have united us in this common project called the United States of America.

    If the fear of that doesnít motivate the Democratic Partyís base, then shame on those people. Not all elections are equal. Some elections are a vote for great changes ó like the Great Society. Others are a vote to save the country. This election is the latter.

    That doesnít mean a Democratic candidate should stand for nothing, just keep it simple: Focus on building national unity and good jobs.

    I say national unity because many Americans are terrified and troubled by how bitterly divided, and therefore paralyzed, the country has become. There is an opening for a unifier.

    And I say good jobs because when the wealth of the top 1 percent equals that of the bottom 90 percent, we do have to redivide the pie. I favor raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to subsidize universal pre-K education and to reduce the burden of student loans. Letís give kids a head start and college grads a fresh start.

    But Iím disturbed that so few of the Democratic candidates donít also talk about growing the pie, let alone celebrating American entrepreneurs and risk-takers. Where do they think jobs come from?

    The winning message is to double down on redividing the pie in ways that give everyone an opportunity for a slice while also growing the pie sustainably.

    Trump is growing the pie by cannibalizing the future. He is creating a growth spurt by building up enormous financial and carbon debts that our kids will pay for.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/o...rump-2020.html

    Democrats should focus on how we create sustainable wealth and good jobs, which is the American public-private partnership model: Government enriches the soil and entrepreneurs grow the companies.

    It has always been whatís made us rich, and weíve drifted away from it: investing in quality education and basic scientific research; promulgating the right laws and regulations to incentivize risk-taking and prevent recklessness and monopolies that can cripple free markets; encouraging legal immigration of both high-energy and high-I.Q. foreigners; and building the worldís best enabling infrastructure ó ports, roads, bandwidth and basic social safety nets.

    Ask Gina Raimondo, Rhode Islandís governor, and my kind of Democrat. She was just elected in 2018 for a second term. In both her elections she had to win a primary against a more-left Democrat. When Raimondo took office in 2015, Rhode Island had unemployment near 7 percent, and over 20 percent in some of the building trades.
    Reality: As long as the US is protected via the Republican fire wall known as the Untied States Constitution....SOCIALISM will never control this republic. That's why the socialists are constantly attacking and attempting to rescind.....or change the 1st amendment, the 2nd amendment, the 4ith, the 5th, etc., There is no worry as long as MORE people accept the US RULE OF LAW than those who attempt to ignore it...suck as the ALINSKIITES.....which right now as we speak only exist in the United States at a 19% level and that level was allowed through failed liberal policies that allowed many criminals and communist to infect our great nation like a cancer from within. The only way to control cancer is to weed it out and cut it off at the source.....just enforce the RULE OF LAW that has maintained our nation for over 250 years.

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    59,463
    Thanks
    16,267
    Thanked 15,553 Times in 11,645 Posts
    Groans
    623
    Groaned 1,043 Times in 989 Posts

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    76,307
    Thanks
    32,131
    Thanked 21,349 Times in 16,580 Posts
    Groans
    23,022
    Groaned 3,652 Times in 3,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Just when I try to take some author seriously they say 'carbon debts'.
    Yes myself as well, what a load of bollocks.
    In rejecting their view [Spinoza, Leibnitz and Hegel], as I shall contend that we must, we are committing ourselves to the opinion that ďtruthĒ in empirical material has a meaning different from that which it bears in logic and mathematics.Ē

    Bertrand Russell, ďAn Inquiry Into Meaning & TruthĒ (1940)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Havana Moon For This Post:

    Stretch (07-18-2019)

Similar Threads

  1. ChinaóNot RussiaóElected Trump
    By dukkha in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2018, 09:16 AM
  2. SIC Says Russia Elected trump
    By katzgar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM
  3. Trump: Israel will be destroyed unless Iím elected
    By Bill in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM
  4. Trump is going to be elected
    By Legion Troll in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 01:44 PM
  5. Advantages to Trump being elected
    By USFREEDOM911 in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •