1. #421 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Jesus Did Not Speak Out On Current Political Issues

There is nothing recorded in the New Testament about Jesus Christ speaking out against any of the political issues of His day. Nothing in His teachings gives even the slightest hint that He had any political involvement.

He Refused To Be Made King

In fact, Jesus refused to lead any political movement. He resisted when the people wanted to make Him king.

Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself (John 6:15).

Not To Tell Others He Was Messiah

When Jesus acknowledged that he was the Messiah, he did not allow his disciples to publicly tell others.

Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ (Matthew 16:20).

He Told No One To Tell Of His Transfiguration

Jesus told His disciples that they were to tell no one about his Transfiguration.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, "Don't tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead (Matthew 17:9).

Jesus Withdrew From Confrontation

Jesus also withdrew from confrontation with the religious rulers.

Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place. Many followed him, and he healed all their sick, warning them not to tell who he was (Matthew 12:15,16).

Jesus Did Not Incite The People Against Rome

Although Jesus did not incite the people against Rome, this was one of the charges brought before Pilate by the religious leaders.

But they insisted, "He stirs up the people all over Judea by his teaching. He started in Galilee and has come all the way here" (Luke 23:5).

Jesus Refused To Get Entangled In A Political Debate

Jesus refused to get into a debate about paying taxes to Rome.

Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?" But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away (Matthew 22:15-22).

Jesus Behavior Was In Contrast To False Messiahs

Jesus behavior was in contrast to some false Messiahs that preceded him. Scripture records some of these failed attempts.

For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a group of about four hundred men joined up with him. But he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and came to nothing. After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the census and drew away some people after him; he too perished, and all those who followed him were scattered (Acts 5:36-38).

Luke also records.

Then you are not the Egyptian who some time ago stirred up a revolt and led the four thousand men of the Assassins out into the wilderness? (Acts 21:38).

Jesus' Kingdom Is Not Of This World System

Jesus kingdom was not of this world system. Jesus told Pontius Pilate

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, my kingdom is not of this realm." Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice" (John 18:36,37).

Summary

Although Jesus was the promised Messiah, the one who could rightfully rule over Israel, He refused to become involved in any political issue of his day. We see this in a number of ways. Jesus refused to be made king; He told His disciples not to tell others that He was the Messiah and He also withdrew from confrontation with the religious rulers. In addition, He never incited the people against Rome. All of this was in contrast to false Messiahs. The reason He acted this way has to do with the nature of His kingdom - it was not of this world system.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/...tewart_789.cfm
    See, those good nuns didn't waste their time & energy smacking you a time or two to learn something. Well said!!!
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #422 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Have you ever heard of compassion? Compassion & mercy, not just the law..

There is nothing in the law, biblical or American jurisprudence that denies or forbids it..

Matt 18:21-35
    18:21 Then Peter came to him and said, “Lord, how many times must I forgive my brother who sins against me? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “Not seven times, I tell you, but seventy-seven times! 23 “For this reason, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his slaves. 24 As he began settling his accounts, a man who owed ten thousand talents was brought to him. 25 Because he was not able to repay it, the lord ordered him to be sold, along with his wife, children, and whatever he possessed, and repayment to be made. 26 Then the slave threw himself to the ground before him, saying, ‘Be patient with me, and I will repay you everything.’ 27 The lord had compassion on that slave and released him, and forgave him the debt. 28 After he went out, that same slave found one of his fellow slaves who owed him one hundred silver coins. So he grabbed him by the throat and started to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ 29 Then his fellow slave threw himself down and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will repay you.’ 30 But he refused. Instead, he went out and threw him in prison until he repaid the debt. 31 When his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were very upset and went and told their lord everything that had taken place. 32 Then his lord called the first slave and said to him, ‘Evil slave! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me! 33 Should you not have shown mercy to your fellow slave, just as I showed it to you?’ 34 And in anger his lord turned him over to the prison guards to torture him until he repaid all he owed. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to you, if each of you does not forgive your brother from your heart.”
    Knock it off. I'm beginning to see that you are not "all there". You just keep repeating, repeating, repeating without having
    read any of the answers already given to you. Have a great day Bill.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

3. #423 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Christ taught us (the Church, the body of believers) to care for the widows and orphans. We do that.
    It's not up to the government to do.
    Is that someplace in the bible?? Or is that something some mean, stingy SOB said??

If the evil gubment wants to give free chickens to the poor, show pity/mercy, compassion why would Jesus object?? Why do you??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #424 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Those few good ones cannot support the poor. There are too many. It’s a great idea, but it’s not realistic, anymore.
    You have no idea. There are plenty of good, sound, responsible churches and Christian organizations giving a lot of help.
    These are the ones that aren't seeking attention and get little notice. Lot of synagogues and mosques help provide to
    their communities as well. We both know that the only time you hear about ANY religious organization is when they
    get out of line or there is a scandal. That's to be expected. That's life. Not going to plat the victim here.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

5. #425 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Funny how those who hate us come running when they are in need and we don't ask questions of those we help.
    Who is it that comes running in need??

6. #426 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is that someplace in the bible?? Or is that something some mean, stingy SOB said??

If the evil gubment wants to give free chickens to the poor, show pity/mercy, compassion why would Jesus object?? Why do you??
    Yeah...............already discussed. Take a nap.
    pain in abortion.

7. #427 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Christ taught us (the Church, the body of believers) to care for the widows and orphans. We do that.
    It's not up to the government to do.
    Did he say only care for the widow & orphans?? Or should he have made a list??

8. #428 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,599 Times in 17,043 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Who is it that comes running in need??
    Many after a natural disaster.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. #429 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're repeating the entire thread Bill. Take a nap.
    pain in abortion.

10. #430 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,302 Times in 53,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you ever heard of compassion? Compassion & mercy, not just the law..

There is nothing in the law, biblical or American jurisprudence that denies or forbids it..

Matt 18:21-35
    18:21 Then Peter came to him and said, “Lord, how many times must I forgive my brother who sins against me? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “Not seven times, I tell you, but seventy-seven times! 23 “For this reason, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his slaves. 24 As he began settling his accounts, a man who owed ten thousand talents was brought to him. 25 Because he was not able to repay it, the lord ordered him to be sold, along with his wife, children, and whatever he possessed, and repayment to be made. 26 Then the slave threw himself to the ground before him, saying, ‘Be patient with me, and I will repay you everything.’ 27 The lord had compassion on that slave and released him, and forgave him the debt. 28 After he went out, that same slave found one of his fellow slaves who owed him one hundred silver coins. So he grabbed him by the throat and started to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ 29 Then his fellow slave threw himself down and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will repay you.’ 30 But he refused. Instead, he went out and threw him in prison until he repaid the debt. 31 When his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were very upset and went and told their lord everything that had taken place. 32 Then his lord called the first slave and said to him, ‘Evil slave! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me! 33 Should you not have shown mercy to your fellow slave, just as I showed it to you?’ 34 And in anger his lord turned him over to the prison guards to torture him until he repaid all he owed. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to you, if each of you does not forgive your brother from your heart.”
    I'm sure that's totally out of context. lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-17-2019)

12. #431 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    So you categorize them all, then hate those who try, gotcha
    What is it with you and your insistence that disapproval or disagreement with something equals hate? It does not. I thoroughly disapprove of RC priests molesting children. It's despicable. But that doesn't mean that I hate the Church herself, or those who are Catholics.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-17-2019)

14. #432 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yurt View Post
    Do you believe the scriptures should be followed?
    If one calls him/herself a Christian, then yes.... he/she should follow the teachings of that god. This is particularly true if he/she has a penchant for running around judging others and telling them what they should be doing.

15. #433 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He did.

Matthew 25:31-46

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

16. #434 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,599 Times in 17,043 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What is it with you and your insistence that disapproval or disagreement with something equals hate? It does not. I thoroughly disapprove of RC priests molesting children. It's despicable. But that doesn't mean that I hate the Church herself, or those who are Catholics.
    Not only do I despise child molesters (no matter who they are) I'd rather they be shot.

So why is it that you viciously name call Trump and everyone who supports Trump's policies?
    If you recall, I never called Obama or his wife any names, but I did voice my disapproval
    of his policies and his wife's wasting taxpayer money for her and her family vacations.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

17. #435 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.'

Beautiful passage of Jesus speaking to believers. Not to unbelievers who do not have the inheritance.
    Also, Christ was speaking about the truly needy, hungry, imprisoned and naked......not scammers.
    pain in abortion.