Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born

1. #451 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,658 Times in 4,438 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    Doesn't that mean that the law is sinful?
    I don't think government enforcement of immigration laws is sinful even if we oppose how those laws are being implemented.

2. #452 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

It's only conservatives that are the haters [loathers]?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I know a lot of liberals in real life, and I literally cannot think of one that "loathes Christianity". A lot of liberals I know are believing and practicing xtians

There may be a handful of real christian haters on obscure message boards, and there are defintely people who object to certain evangelicals discriminating against other faith traditions and trying to establish a theocracy through rightwing jihad.
    Thus it can be said

I know a lot of conservatives in real life, and I literally cannot think of one that "loathes Christianity".

A lot of conservatives I know are believing and practicing xtians

There may be a handful of real christian conservatives haters on obscure message boards,

and there are defintely conservatives who object to certain evangelicals discriminating against

other faith traditions and trying to establish a theocracy through rightwing Media?

3. #453 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    NO, that is not true....... Sure, some do, just like some trump fans/conservatives hate them...

Some ppl just gotta hate, you know that........
    Trump thrives on hate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

Bill (07-17-2019)

5. #454 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yes, although that is something only the government can violate and not individual actions.
    I disagree. We give churches tax-exempt status in order to maintain that separation. In return, ministers and churches are supposed to avoid overt political action and speech. Yet this is routinely disregarded when ministers tell parishioners what candidates to support and which way to think on political issues. It is also violated when parishioners work to insert their religious beliefs and practices into public institutions. I.e., prayer in public school, the teaching of creationism, posting the 10 Commandments in a courthouse, placing nativity scenes at city halls, and so on.

BTW, the Hobby Lobby case had nothing to do with "free birth control;" you're thinking of Catholic organizations. HL's case involved their refusal to cover a particular form of oral birth control that they had previously allowed, incorrectly claiming that it caused abortions.

I dislike the tactic of claiming somebody who fails to speak up about the treatment of illegals is not following their religious principles. The person making that claim is really just attacking the person's political views and is also using their own interpretation of the Bible to make that attack. There are too many scriptures that can be interpreted in different ways to translate that into political opinions.
    That's good. You should probably avoid doing that, then. IMO it is a valid tactic when dealing with those who claim to be a particular religious flavor, yet consistently violate the very principles of that flavor with their words and (in)actions. They do not get to claim some sort of immunity just because the person pointing out their hypocrisy isn't of the same flavor.

And none of it has anything to do with separation of church and state.
    Certainly our words here have nothing to do with it, for sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (07-17-2019)

7. #455 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump thrives on hate.

Yes.. It results in chaos & dysfunction, just as the Ambassador from the UK said..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #456 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,658 Times in 4,438 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I disagree. We give churches tax-exempt status in order to maintain that separation. In return, ministers and churches are supposed to avoid overt political action and speech. Yet this is routinely disregarded when ministers tell parishioners what candidates to support and which way to think on political issues. It is also violated when parishioners work to insert their religious beliefs and practices into public institutions. I.e., prayer in public school, the teaching of creationism, posting the 10 Commandments in a courthouse, placing nativity scenes at city halls, and so on.
    It isn't my opinion--it is basic constitutional law. Those rights only restrict what government can do--not individuals or private entities. The establishment clause prohibits government from doing anything to help or harm religion. Individuals are free to try to get schools to offer prayer or teach creationism---it is unconstitutional for schools to actually do it. You have never heard of a case of a person being prohibited from seeking to have those policies implemented.

Ministers are free (under the Constitution) to tell their parishioners how to vote. The tax laws prohibit ministers from engaging in partisan political announcements in church. They can say don't vote for somebody who favors tax cuts but they can't say vote for a Republican. But this law is not enforced and churches cannot get the IRS to take action even when they send videos of ministers violating the law.

BTW, the Hobby Lobby case had nothing to do with "free birth control;" you're thinking of Catholic organizations. HL's case involved their refusal to cover a particular form of oral birth control that they had previously allowed, incorrectly claiming that it caused abortions.
    It was about both. The ACA provided free birth control with (13?) possible methods. Hobby Lobby opposed (4?) of these methods because it violated their religious beliefs. I don't think they previously approved these methods. They did not have to drop their old policy and adopt the ACA and would not even had to provide the birth control under their previous policy. But they chose to adopt the ACA except they objected to the 4 methods. The court allowed them to follow the same accommodations as religious related organizations and not pay for those 4 methods but the employees would still be eligible to get those 4 methods under government funding. Whether the method actually caused abortion is irrelevant because one's religious beliefs are not required to provide proof.

9. #457 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    there is an outright hostility from many on the left to religion - and Xtians in particular.
    And I don't mean on obscure messageboards but expressed in lawsuits like the one we just had with that Big Cross.
    It was 80 years old an a remembrance - and the leftists still couldn't accept it being there.

There are more examples, but religious intolerance exists -especially from the left on Xtians
    Of course, you'd freak out if it was Islamic imagery on public lands.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

10. #458 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    You know the left is getting desperate when they start quoting scripture

It is straight out of Alinksy's playbook
    The usual right-wing attempt to divert and deny. It's the right that tries to take refuge behind the Bible by quoting it, usually completely out of context.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-17-2019)

12. #459 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Of course, you'd freak out if it was Islamic imagery on public lands.
    Or pagan/Wiccan/Satanic.

13. #460 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Says the twat who calls an unborn baby a "fetus" and "mass of tissue". How rich
    According to science and reality, it is a fetus and a mass of tissue.

14. #461 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trump is a latent Nazi!!
    Nothing latent about him. He just makes a halfhearted effort to keep it under wraps to keep from alienating that minority of his worshippers that still has some self respect.

15. #462 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As I wrote earlier this month, attacks on conservative Christians are certainly popular in some quarters of the Left, but now I also fear they’re populist — they can help animate a mass movement.

The combination of ignorance, fear, and hatred wielded against conservative Christians in progressive quarters is disturbing.
    Just in this new year, we’ve seen two progressive senators aggressively question a Christian judicial nominee because of his membership in a mainstream Catholic service organization, we’ve seen a days-long attack on Karen Pence for teaching part-time at a Christian ministry, and we watched a stunning online feeding frenzy against students at a Catholic boys’ school based on a misleadingly clipped video segment of a much longer confrontation.

Moreover, we just concluded a Supreme Court term in which progressive governments attempted to erode the constitutional firewall against compelled speech by attempting to compel Christians to advance messages they found immoral.
    California attempted to compel pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise free or low-cost abortions.
    Colorado attempted to compel a man to custom-design a cake for a gay wedding.

And along with each of these events we’ve seen tens of thousands of words of commentary declaring Christians bigoted and hateful — often based on condescending claims of hypocrisy premised on sheer ignorance of Christian theology and tradition.

Who can forget the avatar of progressive populism himself, Bernie Sanders, in 2017 aggressively grilling a nominee for the Office of Management and Budget over his theological views on the differences between the Christian and Muslim faith?
    He actually said that the nominee was “not someone who this country is supposed to be about.”
    And of course Dianne Feinstein famously rebuked Trump judicial nominee Amy Coney Barrett by declaring that the “dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s a concern.”
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...sive-populism/
    Of course, it's got nothing to do with the ignorance, fear, and hatred that conservative Christians unload on everyone else.

16. #463 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    The phoniness comes from mainly non-believers who start threads on, or interject into threads Scriptures as if they
    know what they're talking about and judge the believers for not seeing it their way. Ninety-nine times out of a
    hundred they begin the religious conversations which of course only stirs up strife. When we speak in replies,
    we're called out as the ones at fault which the unbelievers use as an open door to further chastise, criticize, and
    judge us. Satan is the accuser of the brethren.

"Then I heard a loud voice shouting across the heavens, “It has come at last— salvation and power and the Kingdom of our God,
    and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters has been thrown down to earth— the one
    who accuses them before our God day and night."
    Rev. 12:10
    Says the phony Christian.

17. #464 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Of course, it's got nothing to do with the ignorance, fear, and hatred that conservative Christians unload on everyone else.
    pathetic.. stealing from the OP without a quote.
    ...Utter blandishments

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Stretch (07-17-2019)

19. #465 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not really. Some of the worst con men come wearing robes and a cross, or a business suit and tie.
    I'm surprised that Trump doesn't wear a crucifix at his rallies. Though he's probably afraid that it would burn a hole right through him.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-17-2019)