Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anybody think we are 'over breeding' the Planet?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yup and they have been right about a lot of things. Ecological and economic degradation, lower quality of life in impacted areas, social and political destabilization, vast economic and social inequality, decreases in biodiversity, etc., besides which since when has scientific observed empirical facts become a liberal conspiracy?

It’s this type of anti-intellectualism and science denial that has driven many scientists out of the Republican Party.
    Flag on the play, under the hood for review.
    What is scientific about "getting some things right", and yet missing completely on the most dire predictions, such as, worldwide famine no later than the 70's and 80's? Shirley you can't be serious. You people are the true deniers.

"They got some things right"? You could throw darts at a board and, "get some things right.
    Every life matters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (07-15-2019)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

How do you breed a planet?
    Well, first it wants flowers, candy, and a meal.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

countryboy (07-15-2019), Mott the Hoople (07-15-2019)

5. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Good afternoon Politalker,

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    There is merit to that idea, but it fails to address the purpose of welfare which is to ensure that children don't starve. If some continue to have numerous children, but they only receive benefits for one child, then all of them become food insecure. Maybe we should pay a higher UBI for going childless, and offer group living facilities instead of benefits for those who have children they cannot support.
    I'm in favor of anything that prevents fraud and abuse in the system. Having distribution centers that only give out approved foods. Perhaps delivering healthy staple type foods to people instead of giving out cards if they can't get to the centers.

I wish I had a better solution. I have toyed with the idea of 'Compassion Centers.' Those would be facilities where the food insecure could go to live and have enough food. They would reside in a group home where the emphasis would be conquering poverty by learning skills and having fewer children. Residents could provide child care for one another to free up time for classes and work. And they could focus on the importance of breaking the cycle of cross generational poverty and having children to get benefits.
    That would be nice, but I would have concerns about people trusting each other with their kids. And of course, you couldn't allow the fathers to freeload in the homes. Which would be similar to one of the current problems with our system in that it discourages women from getting married.

Somehow we have got to address the problem of rewarding unwed child birth with benefits. Any ideas along that thought?
    That is definitely something we can agree upon.

And why are we only trying to limit population growth among the poor?

Maybe there should be nice tax breaks for the wealthy to go childless or only have one.
    You know I'm always in favor of tax breaks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-15-2019)

7. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those numbers are extremely conservative and probably far off the mark. In North America alone only around 25% of our arable land is even populated. Approximately half the population of North America live in the Continental US east of the Mississippi River and even there the population density is about half that of Europe.

The planets human carrying capacity of the planet far exceeds the numbers the article quotes by 3 to 4 times those numbers. Look at Asia for another example. Of the 4.5 billion people in Asia 3 billion live in China and India with most of their populations concentrated along their coasts. Both nations together represent about 20% of the land area of Asia. Massive areas of northern and Central Asia are still sparsely populated but have the carrying capacity for much larger human populations. They may have unpleasant climates but certainly ones in which large numbers of humans can survive and thrive in.

As for the ecological effects of course those areas seeing large population growth are profoundly impacted. As to why more, that’s a question with no real answer. Because we can? Ultimately humanity is governed by the laws of biology and if human populations exceed the capacity to support life then large numbers of the excessive populations will die until a balance with carrying capacity is reached.
    I have firmly believed, for some time now, that a world wide catastrophe would occur, the following would happen:

Let's say the catastrophe kills 25% of the entire population.
    1 - Within 30 days 1/3 of those left alive would die, due to other resulting circumstances (disease, injuries, etc.)
    2 - Within another 30 days, 1/2 if those left would die; due to them being unable to provide for themselves (finding adequate food and shelter)
    3 - Within another 60 days, 1/2 of those left would die, due to being "squeamish" about their food source(s).

I have two cartoons that I want to get drawn, that go along with # 2 and 3.

For #2: we have a group of survivors that stumble upon a store, in the middle of nowhere, that hasn't been looted.
    After breaking in, they see rows upon rows of canned goods all covered in cobwebs.
    Going down the isles, looking at their good fortune, they turn a corner and see a skeleton sitting down and leaning back against of the rows of shelves.
    He's covered in cobwebs also and he's holding a can in his skeletal hand.
    The little "thought bubble" above him, says - "I wish I had found a can opener".

For #3: there are a small collection of survivors sitting around a campfire.
    The survivors are a mix from society.
    One guy looks to be ex-military, there's a young couple with a baby, a woman who appears to be maybe a farmer, another women who's wearing a mink stole, a large diamond ring, and pearls, and finally there's a grizzled old man, who's stirring a large metal pot.
    The woman wearing the mink stole, says "What are we having for supper" and the old man says "We got lucky, I found a large turtle, a good sized snake, and two fat lizards" the woman says "Well, I'm not eating that", so the old man goes "Anyone want seconds".

8. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s an inevitable matter. If some catastrophe doesn’t render us extinct than evolutionary forces will.
    I don't subscribe to that Theory.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-15-2019)

10. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That’s an illogical false dichotomy.
    Well, it's my opinion based on what I see and hear.
    Let's say one group thinks 'Climate Change' is a real issue, and let's say another group (like Trump) thinks it's a Chinese Hoax.

"Under the Paris Agreement, each country must determine, plan, and regularly report on the contribution that it undertakes to mitigate global warming.[6] No mechanism forces[7] a country to set a specific target by a specific date,[8] but each target should go beyond previously set targets. In June 2017, U.S. President Donald Trump announced his intention to withdraw the United States from the agreement. Under the agreement, the earliest effective date of withdrawal for the U.S. is November 2020, shortly before the end of President Trump's current term. In practice, changes in United States policy that are contrary to the Paris Agreement have already been put in place.[9][10]"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Agreement

If there is no consensus on the 'facts', then people are going to reach different conclusions.

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Lol, libs are hilarious, DANGEROUS AF, but hilarious. You think people couldn't get a can open without a can opener? And of course, libs just can't help bashing "teh rich".
    I'm in no way a "lib" and my cartoon goes along with my belief that way to many people are unable to provide for themselves (finding adequate food and shelter).

How many people know how to make water drinkable, when they have no way to boil it, or even how to make a simple solar water collector?

Here's an example.

Watch what happens with something happens with a cell phone provider and people can't use their phones; because they panic.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

countryboy (07-15-2019)

13. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I'm in no way a "lib" and my cartoon goes along with my belief that way to many people are unable to provide for themselves (finding adequate food and shelter).

How many people know how to make water drinkable, when they have no way to boil it, or even how to make a simple solar water collector?

Here's an example.

Watch what happens with something happens with a cell phone provider and people can't use their phones; because they panic.
    Sorry man, I mistook you for another poster. My sincere apologies.
    Every life matters

14. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Sorry man, I mistook you for another poster. My sincere apologies.
    It's no big thing. LOL

Apology accepted.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

countryboy (07-15-2019)

16. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,765 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Is this another Red Team/Blue Team finger pointing contest?
    It's what I do.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Jack (07-16-2019)

18. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    It's what I do.
    Well, alrighty then.