Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody think we are 'over breeding' the Planet?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Wrong? Have you looked at the toilet we are turning this globe into? Pollution is making much of the planet uninhabitable. What was predicted is happening.
    You're right, there are a LOT of shithole countries.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Agree on immigration.

Like I said, people have predicting overpopulation armageddon for decades and decades. They've all been wrong. Why should we believe them now?
    Same goes for global warming armageddon.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    You made my point dumb ass!
    The only "point" you've made is that you are too stupid to subtract 0.01 from 100. How many babies can a man give birth to?

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    Same goes for global warming armageddon.
    Yep. Buncha cultists.
    Every life matters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (07-15-2019)

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,625 Times in 9,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

The only "point" you've made is that you are too stupid to subtract 0.01 from 100. How many babies can a man give birth to?
    You probably still think 2+2=4
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Mott,

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Those numbers are extremely conservative and probably far off the mark. In North America alone only around 25% of our arable land is even populated. Approximately half the population of North America live in the Continental US east of the Mississippi River and even there the population density is about half that of Europe.

The planets human carrying capacity of the planet far exceeds the numbers the article quotes by 3 to 4 times those numbers. Look at Asia for another example. Of the 4.5 billion people in Asia 3 billion live in China and India with most of their populations concentrated along their coasts. Both nations together represent about 20% of the land area of Asia. Massive areas of northern and Central Asia are still sparsely populated but have the carrying capacity for much larger human populations. They may have unpleasant climates but certainly ones in which large numbers of humans can survive and thrive in.

As for the ecological effects of course those areas seeing large population growth are profoundly impacted. As to why more, that’s a question with no real answer. Because we can? Ultimately humanity is governed by the laws of biology and if human populations exceed the capacity to support life then large numbers of the excessive populations will die until a balance with carrying capacity is reached.
    That is all true, but not desirable. We don't want it to get to that point, because that is when things get really ugly. It is preferable to back off long before that and have things nice. The fewer humans here, the better it is. It's not like we are ever going to approach no humans on the planet due to population management, so that is no concern.

Ever go to a nice attraction on a holiday weekend? Say, you want to go to a popular park, or Mt Vernon, or something like that. Or perhaps just going to the beach in Santa Monica. You had better get up in the wee hours of the morning and arrive long before opening. You will then take your place in line and wait. If you don't do that, it is entirely likely that you will not even get in.

We aren't creating any more of these places, but we are creating a lot more people who want to enjoy them.

We should we aspire to have so many people on the planet that much of our time is spent waiting?

I don't know many people who enjoy waiting.

That doesn't sound like a good quality of life, waiting for everything.

We could all enjoy a better life with fewer of us.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good morning Sirthinksalot,

Hi Politalker,

I agree with taking a common sense approach to things. Let's start here in the good old US of A by actively discouraging people who can't afford to pay for their own children from having more. Let's cap all welfare at one child and require sterilization or at least IUD birth control as a condition of receiving benefits.
    There is merit to that idea, but it fails to address the purpose of welfare which is to ensure that children don't starve. If some continue to have numerous children, but they only receive benefits for one child, then all of them become food insecure. Maybe we should pay a higher UBI for going childless, and offer group living facilities instead of benefits for those who have children they cannot support.

I wish I had a better solution. I have toyed with the idea of 'Compassion Centers.' Those would be facilities where the food insecure could go to live and have enough food. They would reside in a group home where the emphasis would be conquering poverty by learning skills and having fewer children. Residents could provide child care for one another to free up time for classes and work. And they could focus on the importance of breaking the cycle of cross generational poverty and having children to get benefits.

Somehow we have got to address the problem of rewarding unwed child birth with benefits. Any ideas along that thought?

And why are we only trying to limit population growth among the poor?

Maybe there should be nice tax breaks for the wealthy to go childless or only have one.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (07-15-2019)

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You should take a drive through Canada some time if you think we are over populating the planet. But not to worry; I am sure when loony leftists are in charge they will engage us in another global conflict that will reduce the size of the planets population.
    It's not crowded in Antarctica either.
    Humans don't have to be shoulder to shoulder to destroy the Planet. All they have to do is consume all the resources and degrade the Land, Water, and Atmosphere, to make the Planet uninhabitable.

You've been to L.A., you've driven on the Freeways, when there were more cars, they just added another lane. Your view: "just keep adding MORE lanes, 30 lane Freeways aren't unreasonable".

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Wrong? Have you looked at the toilet we are turning this globe into? Pollution is making much of the planet uninhabitable. What was predicted is happening.
    Ummm, air pollution levels are nowhere near the level of the 17th, 18th, and even 19th centuries. We've also cleaned up the waterways compared to just a few decades ago. Modern sewage treatment continues to improve, and is world's away from the 18th and 19th centuries. Calm down Chicken Little, and quit making shit up.
    Every life matters

12. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Truth Detector (07-15-2019)

13. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Focus: San Diego will recycle sewage into drinking water, mayor declares"
    "Within five years, San Diegans will be sipping and bathing in water recycled from sewage, city officials declared Wednesday."
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...510-story.html

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's not crowded in Antarctica either.
    Humans don't have to be shoulder to shoulder to destroy the Planet. All they have to do is consume all the resources and degrade the Land, Water, and Atmosphere, to make the Planet uninhabitable.

You've been to L.A., you've driven on the Freeways, when there were more cars, they just added another lane. Your view: "just keep adding MORE lanes, 30 lane Freeways aren't unreasonable".
    Poor JackOff; born without a brain.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

A serious question. Extinction ... no laughing matter.
    It’s an inevitable matter. If some catastrophe doesn’t render us extinct than evolutionary forces will.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Jack (07-15-2019), USFREEDOM911 (07-15-2019)

17. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What you say sounds like common sense to me.
    There seems to be a lack of consensus on what 'facts' we are using.
    If one person claims 'Climate Change' is our Greatest Threat and is caused by 'Human Activity'. And the next person claims 'Climate Change' is a Chinese Hoax and there's more than enough Land for doubling of the World Population, then you're not going to resolve anything.
    That’s an illogical false dichotomy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Jack (07-15-2019)

19. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Aren't we already doing that? How would leftist radicals like you "control population".

You realize this idea about overpopulation has been pushed by leftist losers for decades and decades, right?
    Yup and they have been right about a lot of things. Ecological and economic degradation, lower quality of life in impacted areas, social and political destabilization, vast economic and social inequality, decreases in biodiversity, etc., besides which since when has scientific observed empirical facts become a liberal conspiracy?

It’s this type of anti-intellectualism and science denial that has driven many scientists out of the Republican Party.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (07-15-2019)

21. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Mott,

That is all true, but not desirable. We don't want it to get to that point, because that is when things get really ugly. It is preferable to back off long before that and have things nice. The fewer humans here, the better it is. It's not like we are ever going to approach no humans on the planet due to population management, so that is no concern.

Ever go to a nice attraction on a holiday weekend? Say, you want to go to a popular park, or Mt Vernon, or something like that. Or perhaps just going to the beach in Santa Monica. You had better get up in the wee hours of the morning and arrive long before opening. You will then take your place in line and wait. If you don't do that, it is entirely likely that you will not even get in.

We aren't creating any more of these places, but we are creating a lot more people who want to enjoy them.

We should we aspire to have so many people on the planet that much of our time is spent waiting?

I don't know many people who enjoy waiting.

That doesn't sound like a good quality of life, waiting for everything.

We could all enjoy a better life with fewer of us.
    I’m not arguing that. As I said that large population growth will adversely impact the environment in the affected areas and beyond. That’s a different topic than the planets carrying capacity of human population. Humans themselves can impact that capacity via technology as we did when we industrialized agriculture and modernized medicine. They are two different but interrelated topics.