Thread: The National Anthem Needs An Edit

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    The act of burning the flag in no way diminishes the brave acts of these men. It is an act of protest, Jefferson encouraged protest. It’s the American way.
    American history according to Phantasmal: 1776 Philadelphia man angry at the fledgling government burns the flag in front of Jefferson and the signers. Jefferson addresses the crowd " Don't be angry he is not being disrespectful he is just protesting which is his right."

What really happened: man burns flag in front of Jefferson and the signers. Jefferson yells "Arrest that man he is showing total disrespect to this young nation." The man is tried and fined the equivalent of 6 months pay and became an indentured servant.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Flanders (07-15-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    While stirring for its artistic and aesthetic value, that photo was staged by the photographer.

To Cypress: Not the way you imply:

Nov 24, 2009
    U.S. flag raised on Iwo Jima

During the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of the 5th Division take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island’s highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery was with them and recorded the event. Americans fighting for control of Suribachi’s slopes cheered the raising of the flag, and several hours later more Marines headed up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, met them along the way and recorded the raising of the second flag along with a Marine still photographer and a motion-picture cameraman.

Rosenthal took three photographs atop Suribachi. The first, which showed five Marines and one Navy corpsman struggling to hoist the heavy flag pole, became the most reproduced photograph in history and won him a Pulitzer Prize. The accompanying motion-picture footage attests to the fact that the picture was not posed. Of the other two photos, the second was similar to the first but less affecting, and the third was a group picture of 18 Marines smiling and waving for the camera. Many of these men, including three of the six Marines seen raising the flag in the famous Rosenthal photo, were killed before the conclusion of the Battle for Iwo Jima in late March.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ed-on-iwo-jima

I believe if anyone ever asked an Iwo Jima veteran what they were fighting for, they would have said they were fighting to keep themselves and their buddies alive.
    To Cypress: Staying alive is instinctual. Fighting for buddies in combat comes with the territory.

I think the probability is close to zero percent any of them were risking their lives for a flag printed on cloth.

To Cypress:
    Fighting for the flag is never the primary motive.

You and your kind spin everything to support your political agenda. In WWII Americans fought for their country as they do in every war:

Liberal scum assigning a moral cause to the Greatest Generation is sickening. This year’s philosophical interpretation of D-Day was more perverse than ever before.

The Greatest Generation did not fight and die to save democracy, or to save civilization, or to save foreign peoples. They fought to destroy Japan after Pearl Harbor. They only fought in Europe because Germany declared war on the U.S. a week or so after Pearl Harbor.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...12#post3088212

Frankly, the hatred you and your kind have for Old Glory is pathological:

Remember this one from 2011? According to lip readers Michelle Obama said “All this for a damn flag." The sewer rat nods in agreement:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...46#post3065846

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Nobody is burning the flag that was at Iwo Jima.

To Gonzomin:
    Only because America-haters could not get their hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    American history according to Phantasmal: 1776 Philadelphia man angry at the fledgling government burns the flag in front of Jefferson and the signers. Jefferson addresses the crowd " Don't be angry he is not being disrespectful he is just protesting which is his right."

What really happened: man burns flag in front of Jefferson and the signers. Jefferson yells "Arrest that man he is showing total disrespect to this young nation." The man is tried and fined the equivalent of 6 months pay and became an indentured servant.

To Grumpy: Libturds hate Thomas Jefferson more than they hate the flag.
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Burning a flag is low class and obnoxious, but first amendment protects it, and really our patriotic allegiance is to the Constitution, our democratic institutions, our values, and our communities. A piece of cloth is nowhere close to being ranked with those.
    I wish they respected people as much as they do the flag.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (07-15-2019)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

I have the flags of the Russian Federation, Canada, the Republic of Belarus, and Wales displayed in my office. If iit s brings tears to your eyes, I am totally okay with that.
    Yet the US flag is nowhere to be seen.

I have several of the flags of the Confederacy in mine. It's clear that it triggers you. If you don't like that I do, and you've expressed your opinion about how you feel about such things, try to take them down.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

People worth respecting get respect. Neither your nor Cypress deserve it. In fact, I've yet to meet a lefty that did.

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    People worth respecting get respect. Neither your nor Cypress deserve it. In fact, I've yet to meet a lefty that did.
    Go chase a bumper, I don’t want your respect.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Go chase a bumper, I don’t want your respect.
    You should stop begging for my respect and pretending you want it.

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    As far as I can tell, nobody here likes you and undoubtedly the same holds for you in real life - no real friends, no girlfriends, no spouse.

Your hostility is of no consequence to me, and your feelings are not my concern or on my radar in the slightest way. I do not need to reciprocate your hostility because I am sure your life is punishment enough.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As far as I can tell, nobody here likes you and undoubtedly the same holds for you in real life - no real friends, no girlfriends, no spouse.

Your hostility is of no consequence to me, and your feelings are not my concern or on my radar in the slightest way. I do not need to reciprocate your hostility because I am sure your life is punishment enough.
    My life is wonderful. Plenty of friends and a spouse for longer than you've been out of diapers. That I have you barking when I yank your chain is proof your life is miserable.

Don't confuse telling the truth about you with hostility. You only consider it that because you know it's the truth.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

We conservative Americans respect our fellow countrymen. We do not respect those who feel they can futher their complaints by defiling the symbols of this nation nor those who support the idea of defiling those symbols.

The Constitution states "What does the Constitution say about protest?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a*redress*of grievances."
    Look up the definition of petition it does not say burning the flag is a way to petition.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Flanders (07-16-2019)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,925 Times in 11,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Why not, Trump is trashing the Constitution.
    Lie.

15. The Following User Groans At Into the Night For This Awful Post:

Gonzomin (07-25-2019)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Flanders (07-25-2019)