Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: US government is running out of money faster than expected, Mnuchin warns

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You are not wrong in any way about the excess spending of the Obama administration. But what has Trump or the (previous) Republican Congress done about it? Nothing. The biggest spending items on the federal ledgar are entitlements (S.S., Medicare etc) and the military. Trump ran on not touching entitlements and increasing military spending. We have a booming economy yet still have massive deficits that are only increasing.

It takes two to tango and there's a reason we have a $22 trillion national debt. We as voters may complain about it but we rarely punish those in office for it because we ultimately like it.

I've been a Republican my entire life. One of the reason's when I was young is that they stood for fiscal responsibility. As I've gotten older and seen multiple Republican administrations and Congresses I realize that's not generally the case. What I realize now is they're going to spend a lot, they just happen to spend on issues more important to me than the ones democrats spend on.

If controlling spending was truly an issue I'd argue we'd elect more Libertarians. But most of us give lip service to fiscal discipline but like the (big) government programs we use imo (unfortunately).
    Very true. I've been critical of Republicans as well. And not just on fiscal matters. Why didn't Republicans do anything about the border issue when they controlled both houses, AND the executive branch? The GOP these days is nothing more than Democrat Party Light.
    Every life matters

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You are not wrong in any way about the excess spending of the Obama administration. But what has Trump or the (previous) Republican Congress done about it? Nothing. The biggest spending items on the federal ledgar are entitlements (S.S., Medicare etc) and the military. Trump ran on not touching entitlements and increasing military spending. We have a booming economy yet still have massive deficits that are only increasing.

It takes two to tango and there's a reason we have a $22 trillion national debt. We as voters may complain about it but we rarely punish those in office for it because we ultimately like it.

I've been a Republican my entire life. One of the reason's when I was young is that they stood for fiscal responsibility. As I've gotten older and seen multiple Republican administrations and Congresses I realize that's not generally the case. What I realize now is they're going to spend a lot, they just happen to spend on issues more important to me than the ones democrats spend on.

If controlling spending was truly an issue I'd argue we'd elect more Libertarians. But most of us give lip service to fiscal discipline but like the (big) government programs we use imo (unfortunately).
    Well said.

I would like to add that deficits dropped under Democrats more than under Republicans, where deficits grew more. The conclusion has to be that Democrats are better with the national purse strings than Republicans. And this has been especially difficult for Democrats, because Dems have frequently inherited an economic mess and/or recession, and left Republicans with a strong economy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Well said.

I would like to add that deficits dropped under Democrats more than under Republicans, where deficits grew more. The conclusion has to be that Democrats are better with the national purse strings than Republicans. And this has been especially difficult for Democrats, because Dems have frequently inherited an economic mess and/or recession, and left Republicans with a strong economy.
    We have a national debt of $22 trillion. There is no fiscal responsibility in Washington D.C. And no, Democrats don't do any better of a job than Republicans do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (07-16-2019), Into the Night (07-16-2019)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    12 of the 18 recessions occurred with tax rates of 69% or higher. I consider that high.
    Okay. Then that means that six of them occurred during low tax rates, thus falsifying your theory.

I never said there was a correlation between those things--I said it is evidence against any claim that lower tax rates are the cause of recessions.
    Paradox.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Since the discussion was about the effects of high federal income tax on the economy I did not list any recessions before the income tax. For evidence of recessions:

https://www.nber.org/cycles.html
    Okay. Now you are in paradox.
    1) The argument is about whether income tax causes recessions.
    2) The argument is not about whether income tax causes recessions.

Which is it, dude?

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All of the Republican deficit hawks seem to have become migratory birds and flown elsewhere until who knows when they will return.

I presume they won't be back until a Democrat is back in power.
    Neither Republicans nor Democrats want to reduce the debt. That's obvious.

As far as the deficit goes, Democrats definitely want to spend more, increasing the deficit.

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Not to the degree we are seeing today I don't believe.
    No, not do the degree we are seeing today. The hatred and vitriol toward Trump is unprecedented in our lifetime. The last time this kind of hatred occurred toward a President, it was against Lincoln.

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Well said.

Lie. Argument from randU fallacy.

10. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

11. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    No, not do the degree we are seeing today. The hatred and vitriol toward Trump is unprecedented in our lifetime. The last time this kind of hatred occurred toward a President, it was against Lincoln.
    by fucking racists like you

hating lying racists who stole an American election from the people is something you are just going to have to accept shit balls

12. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Okay. Then that means that six of them occurred during low tax rates, thus falsifying your theory.

Paradox.
    What theory? I never stated any theory. There is no theory to state when top federal tax rates and recessions are not related which is my point.

13. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    get some FACTS to back your claim ass lump
    Learn what a fact is. A fact is not a reference source. You have not provided any usable reference source. You just made up some numbers. Argument from randU fallacy. Void authority fallacy.
    fucking liar
    Inversion fallacy.

14. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

by fucking racists like you
    Buzzword fallacy. YALIF.
    hating lying racists
    YALIF.
    who stole an American election from the people is something you are just going to have to accept shit balls
    Lie. YALIF.

15. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What theory? I never stated any theory. There is no theory to state when top federal tax rates and recessions are not related which is my point.
    You are still locked in paradox. Which is it, dude? To argue both sides of a paradox is irrational. You MUST discard one of the conflicting arguments utterly. It's the only way out.

16. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    You are still locked in paradox. Which is it, dude? To argue both sides of a paradox is irrational. You MUST discard one of the conflicting arguments utterly. It's the only way out.
    No paradox is involved. Recessions are not caused by a high federal income tax rate or a low top income tax rate.

If you pick one and claim it is the cause you will be wrong.

Everything does not have to be a paradox or a fallacy. That is just a way to challenge someone's claims without really providing any information or reasons.