Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, Life is Golden, chink, Irish Exit, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon and Proud Boy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Conservative Tradition

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default The Conservative Tradition

I have a this video class on my watch list, partly because I decided I need to learn how it is possible that conservatives could have turned into fan boys of a shockingly dim witted and incompetent Reality TV host. What is it about Trumpf that inspires them to spend countless hours of their lived defending him, and providing cover for him?

The Conservative Tradition
    Professor Patrick N. Allitt, Ph.D.
    Emory University

Preserving the traditions and values of the past and applying them to the future—this is the core of the Conservative attitude. While the development of Conservatism has followed different arcs in the United States and Great Britain, this rich and fascinating political tradition has decisively impacted the evolution of both nations and their grand political institutions.

Learn about the People behind the Philosophy

John Stuart Mill, the British economist and philosopher whose writings on the philosophy of utilitarianism and free markets, on the one hand, and advocacy of equal rights for women and minorities and freedom of speech and thought, on the other, have led both Conservatives and Liberals to claim him as a founding voice
    Ayn Rand, the Russian émigré novelist and philosopher whose work influenced a generation of Libertarian thinkers, including former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, once a member of her inner circle
    Francis Schaeffer, the Christian evangelical theologian credited not only with coining the term "secular humanism" but with helping spark the rise of the Christian Right

In addition, Professor Allitt shows you the contributions made by other major theorists and practitioners, including Adam Smith, Henry Adams, Alexander Hamilton, William Pitt the Younger, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, and Ronald Reagan. And he takes you deep inside the Conservative movement to reveal the influence of voices from other parts of the culture, such as journalists H. L. Mencken and William F. Buckley Jr. and economists Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek.

Sample Lectures:
    Burke, Tradition, and the French Revolution: Learn about the ideas of Edmund Burke, the Whig politician whose Reflections on the Revolution in France is regarded by many Conservatives as the founding text of their political creed. His book, written after the conflict's early stages, counseled respect for tradition and avoidance of radical change.

Conservatives in the American South: Southern plantation owners wanted to be left to their own devices, without the federal government imposing its power on their states. Explore how these desires combined with unapologetic racist justifications for slavery to shape the face of southern Conservatism.

Conservatism and the American Civil War: Can the Civil War be considered the clash of two Conservative philosophies? Judge for yourself as you see conservative southern states secede from the Union while northern Conservatives refused to acknowledge their secession as legitimate.

The Idea of Anglo-Saxon Supremacy: Racism was intellectually respectable in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with Anglo-Saxons seen as destined to rule the rest of the world. Explore how this idea influenced Conservative thought in Britain and America.

Opposing the New Deal: The onset of the Great Depression would transform American Conservatism. Explore how Conservatives reacted to both the New Deal and to arguments over whether America should stand behind Britain in defending European civilization in the Second World War, or remain aloof from a conflict in which the nation had no vital interest.

Reagan Triumphant: You look at the rise of Ronald Reagan, who was to American Conservatism what Thatcher was to British Conservatism. Enjoying great personal popularity, he was able to make Conservatism seem normal, friendly, relaxed, and all-American, qualities it had certainly not exhibited in the 1950s and 1960s.

Source credit: Professor Patrick N. Allitt, Ph.D., Emory University, great courses dot com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    What is it about Trumpf that inspires them to spend countless hours of their lived defending him, and providing cover for him?
    For some, it's that he represents the last dying gasp of toxic masculinity. They cling to him because they don't like that things are changing.
    For others, it's more of a trolling thing. Trump pisses off SJW cucks, and that's funny.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

kudzu (01-19-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    For some, it's that he represents the last dying gasp of toxic masculinity. They cling to him because they don't like that things are changing.
    For others, it's more of a trolling thing. Trump pisses off SJW cucks, and that's funny.
    That sounds very plausible to me.

So, according to this premise, modern conservatism is not a coherent political philosophy - it is a manifestation of petty grievances resentful conservatives hold against liberals.
    Last edited by Cypress; 01-19-2019 at 10:53 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2019), Rune (01-20-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    "Terry Kupers defines toxic masculinity as "the constellation of socially regressive male traits that serve to foster domination, the devaluation of women, homophobia and wanton violence". According to Kupers, toxic masculinity serves to outline aspects of hegemonic masculinity that are socially destructive, "such as misogyny, homophobia, greed, and violent domination". These traits are contrasted with more positive aspects of hegemonic masculinity such as "pride in [one's] ability to win at sports, to maintain solidarity with a friend, to succeed at work, or to provide for [one's] family".

Toxic masculine norms are a feature of life for men in American prisons, where they are reflected in the behaviour of both staff and inmates. The qualities of extreme self-reliance, domination of other men through violence, and avoiding the appearance of either femininity or weakness, comprise an unspoken code among prisoners. Suppressing vulnerable emotions is often adopted in order to successfully cope with the harsh conditions of prison life, defined by punishment, social isolation, and aggression. These factors likely play a role in suicide among male prisoners."
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

Jade Dragon (01-19-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

On the other hand how can liberals turn blind eyes when faced with the truth that Hillary broke the law several times ( not my statement but the FBI's) endangered national security ( again the FBI says it's true) lied to investigators (matter of record) and say well she was never charged or convicted but you ignore the same thing about Trump? Trump is no prize but neither is Hillary.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    On the other hand how can liberals turn blind eyes when faced with the truth that Hillary broke the law several times ( not my statement but the FBI's) endangered national security ( again the FBI says it's true) lied to investigators (matter of record) and say well she was never charged or convicted but you ignore the same thing about Trump? Trump is no prize but neither is Hillary.
    Hillary Clinton has been relentlessly investigated, on and off, since 1994 by partisan Republican committees.

No proof of criminality has ever been found and she had never been indicted for a crime.

That means either Hillary Clinton is the criminal mastermind of the century, somehow able to avoid detection during three decades of investigations.

Or, you are an utter fool who willfully engages in abject dishonesty.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2019), iolo (01-24-2019), Mason Michaels (01-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

It was never Obamacare that turned the Republicans into a hate group- it was the fact that they never got over the fact that the Democrats elected a Black man to be their president that turned their party into a White Nationalist hate group.

I mean, they use the excuse of Obamacare as their reason to hate Obama, but not believable because Mitt Romney was going to introduce a National Healthcare Act of his own had he won, and many Republicans were wanting to vote for him in 2008.

So, the only reason why Donald Trump was elected, was because the Republicans wanted a candidate that represented their expressed hatred towards Obama- and Hillary!

All you have to be in this world is a liberal or Democrat- and the Republicans are going to hate you just for that alone.

Yes, the Republican party is the party of hate, haters, and hatefulness!

That is just the way it is in America today! Hateful! And most of it is Donald Trump's and his base's fault for voting for it and representing it out in the open for all to see!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2019), iolo (01-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hillary Clinton has been relentlessly investigated, on and off, since 1994 by partisan Republican committees.

No proof of criminality has ever been found and she had never been indicted for a crime.

That means either Hillary Clinton is the criminal mastermind of the century, somehow able to avoid detection during three decades of investigations.

Or, you are an utter fool who willfully engages in abject dishonesty.
    Why do you insist on continuing those lies? For god's sake Comey testified before congress she used unsecure email for classified discussions. Yes fool a violation of law!, he also testified she had classified on a private unsecured server Yes fool another violation of law! that she lied to investigators again a violation of law!. No sport you can pretend that didn't happen but it is recorded in the national archives! Would you like me to continue with her other violations I can?

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

So, according to this premise, modern conservatism is not a coherent political philosophy - it is a manifestation of petty grievances resentful conservatives hold against liberals.
    I think if you read JD Vance’s autobiographical “Hillbilly Elegy” you’d have a far more clear and accurate idea why. I lived in the area for five years and Vance is spot on accurate.

Though his politics are right leaning I think you will find him a remarkable young man.

I’d recommend YouTubing his TED Talk.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-19-2019), ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I think if you read JD Vance’s autobiographical “Hillbilly Elegy” you’d have a far more clear and accurate idea why. I lived in the area for five years and Vance is spot on accurate.

Though his politics are right leaning I think you will find him a remarkable young man.

I’d recommend YouTubing his TED Talk.

Thank you for the good intel!

The proposition that economics are driving the impoverished white underclass towards Trump might have some merit, but on balance it never made a lot of sense to me.

I think human nature is such that when economic inequality and injustice become intolerable, it becomes easy for demagogues to turn to resentment to manipulate people. Hitler directed the under classes anger towards Jews and communists. The Bolsheviks got the Russian peasantry to get angry at, and kill, the kulaks. Donald Trump and the Republican southern strategy in general got the white underclass to blame their problems on Mexicans and Blacks, rather than on our corporate overlords.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2019)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I would argue that there is no true conservative political tradition in the US. I would argue that our current political divide is really between classical liberalism and neoliberalism.

Much of the political rancor and division we see isn’t really ideological but tribal in nature.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

iolo (01-24-2019)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you for the good intel!

The proposition that economics are driving the impoverished white underclass towards Trump might have some merit, but on balance it never made a lot of sense to me.

I think human nature is such that when economic inequality and injustice become intolerable, it becomes easy for demagogues to turn to resentment to manipulate people. Hitler directed the under classes anger towards Jews and communists. The Bolsheviks got the Russian peasantry to get angry at, and kill, the kulaks. Donald Trump and the Republican southern strategy in general got the white underclass to blame their problems on Mexicans and Blacks, rather than on our corporate overlords.
    I don’t think though that you’re looking at the role social capital, or the lack ther of, plays into this. Read Vance’s book. He goes into some detail on that.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I don’t think though that you’re looking at the role social capital, or the lack ther of, plays into this. Read Vance’s book. He goes into some detail on that.
    You're right, I should check it out.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think Conservativism has never really been a coherent political philosophy. As the name implies, Conservatives want to "conserve" society exactly the way it is. It doesn't make sense that Conservatives are both against abortion and against programs that help children. But to them, it's not about consistency, it's just about preventing change.
    The part about petty grievances against Liberals does seem new, but I'm sure it's always been a part of Conservatism too. It's just that now, with the internet making Social Justice so visible, it's become a much bigger part of the Right.

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    It was never Obamacare that turned the Republicans into a hate group- it was the fact that they never got over the fact that the Democrats elected a Black man to be their president that turned their party into a White Nationalist hate group.
    If that was true, the GOP wouldn't have supported Ben Carson and Herman Cain. Neither of them were qualified in the slightest to be president, so it's not like they were so great, Republicans just had to ignore their race.
    And what's a Republican's favorite talking point these days? dEmS aRe ThE rEaL rAcIsTs!!!!