Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trump Fail: Climate Change Is Pushing Central America Immigrants North Toward The USA

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Stretch,

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Evidently there is no "climate change" occurring in the U.S. if they want to come HERE to get away from it.
    So, I guess global climate change doesn't affect us.......only OTHER parts of the globe.
    A silly thing to say. Climate change is affecting the entire planet, but it affects different regions in different ways.

"Climate change will transform more than 143 million people into “climate migrants” escaping crop failure, water scarcity, and sea-level rise, a new World Bank report concludes.

Most of this population shift will take place in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Latin America—three “hot spots” that represent 55 percent of the developing world’s populations."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...orld-bank-spd/
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (07-15-2019)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Reading about the expected worldwide and US climate migration numbers is very grim:

"From Dhaka to Miami, it is almost certain that migration will continue to spike over the coming decades. Unless immediate climate action is taken to keep average temperature increases below the 2°C threshold, we will see cities in Africa overcome by advancing desertification and coastal regions submerged by rising sea levels and increasingly regular natural disasters. Scholars have emphasized the need for migration planning: “whether movement occurs within or between countries, there is a need to prepare for it and in some cases enable it.”

Heightened investment would be a logical place to start in adapting to, and mitigating, this challenge. Funding more climate resilient infrastructure projects such as better flood defences would, for example, protect millions from inundation in Bangladesh. Moreover, promoting spending for the development of resource management techniques and enhanced access to water resources in Chad could fortify livelihoods and prevent further violence. The governments in question are unlikely to fund these efforts on their own, but there are many international organisations working to provide assistance for disaster relief and water security. Greater cooperation between these entities is therefore vital.

Bangladesh, Chad, and the United States are all suffering from a lack of climate resilience. They are by no means the only examples. Government research predicts that urban coastal floodplains around the world will see enormous damage over the next three decades, with Asian megacities like Calcutta, Bangkok, and Guangzhou expected to suffer the worst displacement. Nevertheless, status quo-oriented pragmatism is the order of the day. In the face of the massive challenges detailed above, states cannot sit back any longer – they simply do not have the time to continue kicking the can down the road. While it is increasingly impossible to ignore the issue of migration, mitigating its effects is not."

Climate Migration: A Growing Global Crisis
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Stretch,

A silly thing to say. Climate change is affecting the entire planet, but it affects different regions in different ways.

"Climate change will transform more than 143 million people into “climate migrants” escaping crop failure, water scarcity, and sea-level rise, a new World Bank report concludes.

Most of this population shift will take place in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Latin America—three “hot spots” that represent 55 percent of the developing world’s populations."

Like I said......ain't too bad if they want to come HERE to get away from it.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Stretch,

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Like I said......ain't too bad if they want to come HERE to get away from it.
    There are some streets in Miami Beach that flood regularly at peak high tides. Migrants escaping climate change would be foolish to locate there.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump Fail: Climate Change Is Pushing Central America Immigrants North Toward The USA
    Canada- be warned.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

This is of little solace to those who are hungry because the climate has changed.

But it does show that there is indeed climate migration.
    Define 'climate change'.

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank you, The Texas Observer, for this short but excellent article on the subject. Here is a snippet:

"The interplay between climate change and migration can be complex. Many Central Americans displaced by hurricane or drought first relocate within their home countries (a rule that holds true worldwide). They often face gang violence, marginal employment and racial discrimination. When they later flee to Mexico or the United States, García said, the original cause of their displacement is obscured, leading to an undercount of climate-driven refugees."

How Climate Change Is Driving Central American Migrants to the United States
    Define 'climate change'.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Define 'climate change'.
    Define 'climate change'.
    People don't migrate for a buzzword. Define 'climate change'.
    ...deleted Natl Geographic propaganda...
    Apparently you have no argument of your own. You have to borrow the arguments of others.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Define 'climate change'.
    It's ' changing climate'. Now fuck off, you repetitive troll.

Maria Ressa.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Stretch,

There are some streets in Miami Beach that flood regularly at peak high tides.
    Yup. Florida used to be entirely underwater. Not it's only underwater part of the time. So Miami still floods.
    Migrants escaping climate change would be foolish to locate there.
    Define 'climate change'.

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hello Stretch,

Hello politalker, I am having problems with your source. The New world bank report is the source on your link. First let look at what the report.
    "The report recommends key actions nationally and globally, including:

*Cutting global greenhouse gas emissions to reduce climate pressure on people and livelihoods, and to reduce the overall scale of climate migration
    *Transforming development planning to factor in the entire cycle of climate migration (before, during and after migration)
    *Investing in data and analysis to improve understanding of internal climate migration trends and trajectories at the country level."

Look at the last bullet point. Why wouldn't a report already include data and analysis at the country level?

Next when I open the report I see the following:

The world bank doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the data in the work. Look at the disclaimer in the beginning.
    https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/29461

Can someone Google corruption and fraud in the world bank program?

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    You can't define 'climate change' as 'climate change'. Circular definition. Try again.

14. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maria Ressa.

15. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Circular definition. You can't define 'climate change' and 'climate change'.

16. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    Hello politalker, I am having problems with your source. The New world bank report is the source on your link. First let look at what the report.
    "The report recommends key actions nationally and globally, including:

*Cutting global greenhouse gas emissions to reduce climate pressure on people and livelihoods, and to reduce the overall scale of climate migration
    *Transforming development planning to factor in the entire cycle of climate migration (before, during and after migration)
    *Investing in data and analysis to improve understanding of internal climate migration trends and trajectories at the country level."

Look at the last bullet point. Why wouldn't a report already include data and analysis at the country level?
    Because it looks at the possibilities based on easily available information, which could be more specific with detailed information from updated surveys and number-crunching.

Next when I open the report I see the following:

The world bank doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the data in the work. Look at the disclaimer in the beginning.
    https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/29461
    You expect them to guarantee a projection of future occurrences based on existing data they could easily get their hands on? They used what was available and simply let the readers know that a more precise report could be produced with more specific and current data.

Can someone Google corruption and fraud in the world bank program?
    If you are predisposed to disbelieve the information it is always helpful to try to discredit the source. That appears to be the reason for posting such a rhetorical question.