Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Fail: Climate Change Is Pushing Central America Immigrants North Toward The USA

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Trump Fail: Climate Change Is Pushing Central America Immigrants North Toward The USA

Trump has actually made immigration WORSE, not better. He promised to address the issue by building a wall (and getting Mexico to pay for it,) but instead, he has expected American taxpayers to foot the bill and made the problem worse. Most people do not like being lied to, but Trump fans? Well, they just look the other way and ask for more lies.

"It’s abundantly clear that climate change is a driver of migration to the US – we have the data, we have the facts, we have the human stories. Still, the Trump administration has done nothing to intervene in this root cause. In fact, the US government has systematically denied the existence of climate change, rolled back domestic regulations that would mitigate US carbon emissions and thumbed its nose at international attempts – such as the Paris accords – to curb global warming."

How climate change is pushing Central American migrants to the US

No thread ban on this one. My PIP is still in effect. Ignored posters may comment all they like, but I will not be reading anything they write, nor responding to it. I reserve the right to create thread bans at will.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-09-2019), Irish (07-15-2019)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (07-15-2019), LV426 (07-09-2019), StoneByStone (07-09-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Climate change is what drove millions of rural Syrians to the cities, prompting a migration and starvation crisis that kicked off the Syrian Civil War.

We caused that because of our addiction to fossil fuels and war.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Displacement is a natural consequence of drastic climate changes. Not surprised Trumptards can't observe
    the chess board a mere one move ahead.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Trump has actually made immigration WORSE, not better. He promised to address the issue by building a wall (and getting Mexico to pay for it,) but instead, he has expected American taxpayers to foot the bill and made the problem worse. Most people do not like being lied to, but Trump fans? Well, they just look the other way and ask for more lies.

"It’s abundantly clear that climate change is a driver of migration to the US – we have the data, we have the facts, we have the human stories. Still, the Trump administration has done nothing to intervene in this root cause. In fact, the US government has systematically denied the existence of climate change, rolled back domestic regulations that would mitigate US carbon emissions and thumbed its nose at international attempts – such as the Paris accords – to curb global warming."

No thread ban on this one. My PIP is still in effect. Ignored posters may comment all they like, but I will not be reading anything they write, nor responding to it. I reserve the right to create thread bans at will.
    Here is an article with supporting data talking about your link:
    "Now, activists have begun trotting out a new argument in favor of open borders: Central American migrants are fleeing climate change. A recent article in The Guardian said that people are leaving Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala because those nations have been "deeply affected by environmental degradation" that has damaged soil quality and crops. Another article this month, from The New Yorker, said climate change is "fueling" the border crisis because "farmers are abandoning their lands" due to weak crops.

Crop yields, however, tell a different story. I analyzed annual yield data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and looked at how the production of the top crops in each Northern Triangle country has changed since 2000.

In all three countries, major crop production has risen in recent years. If climate change were truly adversely affecting farmers, one would expect that crop production would already be down — or at least stagnant."

The conclusion:
    In all three Northern Triangle countries, the majority of the top agricultural products have seen production growth in recent years — in some cases tripling or quadrupling in size. Given the successful crop yields in Latin America, it is hard to imagine that climate change is a major factor driving migration flows. Even with regard to areas with declining production, such as coconuts in Honduras or Coffee in El Salvador, the primary explanatory factors appear to have little to do with climate change.

A much better explanation for the migration surge is not push factors but pull factors — namely our own asylum loopholes such as the Flores Settlement that encourage Latin American families to make the dangerous trek to our southern border where they can then make bogus asylum claims and be allowed entry into the country with minimal chance of removal. Put simply, Central American migrants are by-and-large not coming to America because of life-threatening climate catastrophes. Rather, they're showing up because they know we'll let them stay.

https://cis.org/Sussis/Crop-Data-Sug...igration-Surge
    When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear. -Thomas Sowell

The most controversial thing I've ever done was to decide to think with my brain instead of my skin color. - Candace Owens

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Southern Chicken For This Post:

anatta (07-09-2019), Callinectes (07-09-2019), Darth Omar (07-09-2019), Earl (07-09-2019), Into the Night (07-09-2019), Irish (07-15-2019)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

pull factors — namely our own asylum loopholes such as the Flores Settlement that encourage Latin American families to make the dangerous trek to our southern border where they can then make bogus asylum claims and be allowed entry into the country with minimal chance of removal. Put simply, Central American migrants are by-and-large not coming to America because of life-threatening climate catastrophes. Rather, they're showing up because they know we'll let them stay.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Climate change is what drove millions of rural Syrians to the cities, prompting a migration and starvation crisis that kicked off the Syrian Civil War.

We caused that because of our addiction to fossil fuels and war.
    ^ part of it. an aggravating factor
    https://www.britannica.com/event/Syrian-Civil-War
    A group of children had been arrested and tortured by the authorities for writing antiregime graffiti; incensed local people took to the street to demonstrate for political and economic reforms. Security forces responded harshly, conducting mass arrests and sometimes firing on demonstrators. The violence of the regime’s response added visibility and momentum to the protesters’ cause, and within weeks similar nonviolent protests had begun to appear in cities around the country. Videos of security forces beating and firing at protesters—captured by witnesses on mobile phones—were circulated around the country and smuggled out to foreign media outlets.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    ^ part of it. an aggravating factor
    https://www.britannica.com/event/Syrian-Civil-War
    A group of children had been arrested and tortured by the authorities for writing antiregime graffiti; incensed local people took to the street to demonstrate for political and economic reforms. Security forces responded harshly, conducting mass arrests and sometimes firing on demonstrators. The violence of the regime’s response added visibility and momentum to the protesters’ cause, and within weeks similar nonviolent protests had begun to appear in cities around the country. Videos of security forces beating and firing at protesters—captured by witnesses on mobile phones—were circulated around the country and smuggled out to foreign media outlets.
    There was a drought, caused by our climate policies and addiction to fossil fuels, that forced millions of farmers and rural folks to go to the urban centers for food, water, and work. The urban centers were not ready to handle that migration, and predictably, social services failed and overcrowding happened. That overcrowding with no economic opportunities is what led to the civil unrest. The Syrian government's response to that unrest was to kick off the Civil War.

But none of that would have happened if there wasn't a drought.

So the root cause is climate change. That's the inciting incident that prompted the migration to the urban centers, which were unprepared to deal with the volume and desperation.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump has actually made immigration WORSE.....
    You have to be the stupidest piece of shit in the world to actually believe this bullshit. How the fuck does your brain even manage to keep your heart beating. You are THAT stupid.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Terri4Trump For This Post:

Callinectes (07-09-2019)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    There was a drought, caused by our climate policies and addiction to fossil fuels, that forced millions of farmers and rural folks to go to the urban centers for food, water, and work. The urban centers were not ready to handle that migration, and predictably, social services failed and overcrowding happened. That overcrowding with no economic opportunities is what led to the civil unrest. The Syrian government's response to that unrest was to kick off the Civil War.

But none of that would have happened if there wasn't a drought.

So the root cause is climate change. That's the inciting incident that prompted the migration to the urban centers, which were unprepared to deal with the volume and desperation.
    no disagreement,but the response oF Assad is what really set off eventual nationwide protests and the war

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    Here diuvsvslvs bla blah /url]
    Open borders isn't the issue. It's your IDIOT IN CHIEF's climate science denial.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    no disagreement,but the response oF Assad is what really set off eventual nationwide protests and the war
    Fair enough.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

anatta (07-09-2019)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    Here is an article with supporting data talking about your link:
    "Now, activists have begun trotting out a new argument in favor of open borders: Central American migrants are fleeing climate change. A recent article in The Guardian said that people are leaving Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala because those nations have been "deeply affected by environmental degradation" that has damaged soil quality and crops. Another article this month, from The New Yorker, said climate change is "fueling" the border crisis because "farmers are abandoning their lands" due to weak crops.

Crop yields, however, tell a different story. I analyzed annual yield data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and looked at how the production of the top crops in each Northern Triangle country has changed since 2000.

In all three countries, major crop production has risen in recent years. If climate change were truly adversely affecting farmers, one would expect that crop production would already be down — or at least stagnant."

The conclusion:
    In all three Northern Triangle countries, the majority of the top agricultural products have seen production growth in recent years — in some cases tripling or quadrupling in size. Given the successful crop yields in Latin America, it is hard to imagine that climate change is a major factor driving migration flows. Even with regard to areas with declining production, such as coconuts in Honduras or Coffee in El Salvador, the primary explanatory factors appear to have little to do with climate change.

A much better explanation for the migration surge is not push factors but pull factors — namely our own asylum loopholes such as the Flores Settlement that encourage Latin American families to make the dangerous trek to our southern border where they can then make bogus asylum claims and be allowed entry into the country with minimal chance of removal. Put simply, Central American migrants are by-and-large not coming to America because of life-threatening climate catastrophes. Rather, they're showing up because they know we'll let them stay.

https://cis.org/Sussis/Crop-Data-Sug...igration-Surge
    Did the data include any information about who in each country is producing more? Is it big agri-business moving in with GMO and irrigation? Or is it small scale family and sustenance-farming....

They know we'll let them stay?

That makes no sense. The word is out that they will be harshly treated and held in concentration camps by Trump's prejudiced CBP, and then gruffly deported without their children after the ordeal.

So we have to ask. Fully knowing how badly they will be treated upon requesting asylum in the USA (which by the way is a law in accordance with international treaties) why would they make the trek despite this knowledge? That's what we have to ask. People don't usually just leave their homes and families (with hopes never to return) for more money. They do that because they are fleeing something.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-09-2019)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

You’ve wondered far out on a limb with this one, my congenial fascist friend lol.

I can buy the argument that people are fleeing the drug cartels and that makes them, some of them, legitimate asylum seekers. But being ‘pushed by climate change’?

That’s too much.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (07-09-2019), Into the Night (07-09-2019), PoliTalker (07-09-2019)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    You’ve wondered far out on a limb with this one, my congenial fascist friend lol.

I can buy the argument that people are fleeing the drug cartels and that makes them, some of them, legitimate asylum seekers. [Thank you...] But being ‘pushed by climate change’?

That’s too much.
    Here's a snippet from the article:

"The average temperature in Central America has increased by 0.5C since 1950; it is projected to rise another 1-2 degrees before 2050. This has a dramatic impact on weather patterns, on rainfall, on soil quality, on crops’ susceptibility to disease, and thus on farmers and local economies. Meanwhile, incidences of storms, floods and droughts on are the rise in the region."

Makes sense to me. Especially for small-scale operations. If one has no insurance and a storm flood or drought wipes out crops in a single year that is often enough to put the family into a starvation situation, causing them to see the long trek north as their only option, as undesirable and daunting as that prospect may be.

So is this just red meat for liberals? Or is there any truth to it.

22. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-09-2019)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terri4Trump View Post
    You have to be the stupidest piece of shit in the world to actually believe this bullshit. How the fuck does your brain even manage to keep your heart beating. You are THAT stupid.
    Remember when you criticized Liberals for acting like this?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Mason Michaels (07-15-2019)