Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trump Fail: Climate Change Is Pushing Central America Immigrants North Toward The USA

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,323 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    Here is an article with supporting data talking about your link:
    "Now, activists have begun trotting out a new argument in favor of open borders: Central American migrants are fleeing climate change. A recent article in The Guardian said that people are leaving Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala because those nations have been "deeply affected by environmental degradation" that has damaged soil quality and crops. Another article this month, from The New Yorker, said climate change is "fueling" the border crisis because "farmers are abandoning their lands" due to weak crops.

Crop yields, however, tell a different story. I analyzed annual yield data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and looked at how the production of the top crops in each Northern Triangle country has changed since 2000.

In all three countries, major crop production has risen in recent years. If climate change were truly adversely affecting farmers, one would expect that crop production would already be down — or at least stagnant."

The conclusion:
    In all three Northern Triangle countries, the majority of the top agricultural products have seen production growth in recent years — in some cases tripling or quadrupling in size. Given the successful crop yields in Latin America, it is hard to imagine that climate change is a major factor driving migration flows. Even with regard to areas with declining production, such as coconuts in Honduras or Coffee in El Salvador, the primary explanatory factors appear to have little to do with climate change.

A much better explanation for the migration surge is not push factors but pull factors — namely our own asylum loopholes such as the Flores Settlement that encourage Latin American families to make the dangerous trek to our southern border where they can then make bogus asylum claims and be allowed entry into the country with minimal chance of removal. Put simply, Central American migrants are by-and-large not coming to America because of life-threatening climate catastrophes. Rather, they're showing up because they know we'll let them stay.

https://cis.org/Sussis/Crop-Data-Sug...igration-Surge
    CIS?

Pure propaganda.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terri4Trump View Post
    You have to be the stupidest piece of shit in the world to actually believe this bullshit. How the fuck does your brain even manage to keep your heart beating. You are THAT stupid.

Forum pussy. Forum clown.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Lake Chad has 90% dried up, leaving 7 million people food insecure.

Oh, but there's no climate migration. It's all a 'hoax,' their hunger is a 'hoax.'

"Inflow fluctuates with the shifting patterns of rainfall associated with the West African Monsoon, making the system very sensitive to drought. Most precipitation in the Sahel falls during the peak of a short rainy season from July through September. The dry season is most intense between November and March. Years with little precipitation can wreak havoc on the water supply.

Extreme swings in Lake Chad’s water levels are not new. The lake has experienced wet and dry periods for thousands of years, according to paleoclimate research. More recently, variations in depth and extent were noted by French explorer Jean Tilho, who reported in 1910 that parts of the lake had dried up. But what is new is the way researchers are studying changes in the lake. The most recent decline has coincided with development of modern observations from space."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/LakeChad
    When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear. -Thomas Sowell

The most controversial thing I've ever done was to decide to think with my brain instead of my skin color. - Candace Owens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southern Chicken For This Post:

Earl (07-15-2019)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    CIS?

Pure propaganda.
    Prove it or should we just take your word for it?
    When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear. -Thomas Sowell

The most controversial thing I've ever done was to decide to think with my brain instead of my skin color. - Candace Owens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southern Chicken For This Post:

Earl (07-15-2019)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Hello anonymoose,

I have been perfectly honest about President Trump, and I respect the office. My only objections have been to what he does. Everything that alarms me about Trump's performance is documented. Sometimes, I even dispute what appears to be a false unsupported claim. My approach has been one of verification and careful analysis. My conclusion is that Trump was barely elected, and has managed to cling to power only through media manipulation.

Trump has rejected Climate Change and hurt our progress in dealing with it. Anything that is not helping is hurting.
    So the media is on Trumps side are they?

Do you feed yourself,
    here do me a favor, tilt your head down, do you see a bib?

simple question
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Earl (07-15-2019)

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Prove it or should we just take your word for it?
    Look it up, turd. I’m tired of doing your homework for you.

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

"Inflow fluctuates with the shifting patterns of rainfall associated with the West African Monsoon, making the system very sensitive to drought. Most precipitation in the Sahel falls during the peak of a short rainy season from July through September. The dry season is most intense between November and March. Years with little precipitation can wreak havoc on the water supply.

Extreme swings in Lake Chad’s water levels are not new. The lake has experienced wet and dry periods for thousands of years, according to paleoclimate research. More recently, variations in depth and extent were noted by French explorer Jean Tilho, who reported in 1910 that parts of the lake had dried up. But what is new is the way researchers are studying changes in the lake. The most recent decline has coincided with development of modern observations from space."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/LakeChad
    This is of little solace to those who are hungry because the climate has changed.

But it does show that there is indeed climate migration.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank you, The Texas Observer, for this short but excellent article on the subject. Here is a snippet:

"The interplay between climate change and migration can be complex. Many Central Americans displaced by hurricane or drought first relocate within their home countries (a rule that holds true worldwide). They often face gang violence, marginal employment and racial discrimination. When they later flee to Mexico or the United States, García said, the original cause of their displacement is obscured, leading to an undercount of climate-driven refugees."

How Climate Change Is Driving Central American Migrants to the United States
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Look it up, turd. I’m tired of doing your homework for you.
    Stop tap dancing and say you can't do it. The site has stories supporting both parties. Just stop!

13. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Southern Chicken,

This is of little solace to those who are hungry because the climate has changed.

But it does show that there is indeed climate migration.
    Does the US help?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6a2d43556697

On Wednesday, Green said Ethiopia would be one of 12 countries to receive focused attention from Feed the Future programs, even if Congress approves deep cuts in USAID’s budget. The Trump administration has proposed halving Feed the Future’s total budget for agricultural development programs from more than $1 billion this year to $500 million next year. Ethiopia’s $78 million share of the funds would also be cut in half. Anticipating having less money to spend, USAID dropped seven countries from the original 19 on which it had planned to focus.

The United States has been the principal international donor to Ethiopia as the country has struggled through a devastating series of droughts.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...infrastructure

The Centrum's research showed that the amount of calories consumed per person had actually increased in all of west Africa, but had decreased in all east African countries between 1961 to 2009 despite the region having some of the most fertile agricultural land available on the continent. According to Ton, in 1961 every nation in Africa produced domestically more than 100 percent of its domestic food supply. Now most African countries produce less than its domestic supply and therefore are becoming more dependent on food imports, even though they grow enough food to feed themselves.
    Last edited by Southern Chicken; 07-15-2019 at 09:18 AM.

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

Does the US help?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6a2d43556697

On Wednesday, Green said Ethiopia would be one of 12 countries to receive focused attention from Feed the Future programs, even if Congress approves deep cuts in USAID’s budget. The Trump administration has proposed halving Feed the Future’s total budget for agricultural development programs from more than $1 billion this year to $500 million next year. Ethiopia’s $78 million share of the funds would also be cut in half. Anticipating having less money to spend, USAID dropped seven countries from the original 19 on which it had planned to focus.

The United States has been the principal international donor to Ethiopia as the country has struggled through a devastating series of droughts.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...infrastructure

The Centrum's research showed that the amount of calories consumed per person had actually increased in all of west Africa, but had decreased in all east African countries between 1961 to 2009 despite the region having some of the most fertile agricultural land available on the continent. According to Ton, in 1961 every nation in Africa produced domestically more than 100 percent of its domestic food supply. Now most African countries produce less than its domestic supply and therefore are becoming more dependent on food imports, even though they grow enough food to feed themselves.
    Thanks for that article. Very interesting. Let me just zero in on the pertinent part...

"The Trump administration has proposed halving Feed the Future’s total budget for agricultural development programs from more than $1 billion this year to $500 million next year."

Let them eat cake.

It would make more sense ultimately if those remaining funds were all spent on free birth control for the areas with more people than capacity to feed themselves.

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Southern Chicken,

Thanks for that article. Very interesting. Let me just zero in on the pertinent part...

"The Trump administration has proposed halving Feed the Future’s total budget for agricultural development programs from more than $1 billion this year to $500 million next year."

Let them eat cake.

It would make more sense ultimately if those remaining funds were all spent on free birth control for the areas with more people than capacity to feed themselves.
    They grow enough food to feed themselves... no cake is necessary

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Southern Chicken,

They grow enough food to feed themselves... no cake is necessary
    Had you read the article I linked in post 53 you would have learned that it is not so simple. Even in an area with increasing industrial food production, those who cannot afford it are relegated to sustenance farming. For a sustenance farmer, every year needs to be a good year. If they can't grow enough food, they face starvation or a decision to relocate where they might find work. Often they try to relocate within their own country. But if they place which is available for that is under gang control, they find that life impossible, and then make the decision to flee far away to a place such as the USA.

A climate change flood, drought or wildfire can wreak havoc on sustenance farmers, and ultimately force them to flee long distance in search of a viable existence. Especially if the first place they flee to holds less promise than the place they left.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Micawber (07-15-2019)

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Trump has actually made immigration WORSE, not better. He promised to address the issue by building a wall (and getting Mexico to pay for it,) but instead, he has expected American taxpayers to foot the bill and made the problem worse. Most people do not like being lied to, but Trump fans? Well, they just look the other way and ask for more lies.

"It’s abundantly clear that climate change is a driver of migration to the US – we have the data, we have the facts, we have the human stories. Still, the Trump administration has done nothing to intervene in this root cause. In fact, the US government has systematically denied the existence of climate change, rolled back domestic regulations that would mitigate US carbon emissions and thumbed its nose at international attempts – such as the Paris accords – to curb global warming."

How climate change is pushing Central American migrants to the US

No thread ban on this one. My PIP is still in effect. Ignored posters may comment all they like, but I will not be reading anything they write, nor responding to it. I reserve the right to create thread bans at will.
    Evidently there is no "climate change" occurring in the U.S. if they want to come HERE to get away from it.
    So, I guess global climate change doesn't affect us.......only OTHER parts of the globe.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hating Africa is like dropping bombs from a plane. You don't have to look them in the eye. EZ to do.