Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump Created The Immigration Crisis As A Ploy To Fool The Right. It Worked

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default President Trump Created The Immigration Crisis As A Ploy To Fool The Right. It Worked

Have you ever wondered why Central American migrants would continue to come to the USA after all the stories about the horrible treatment which awaits them at the hands of the CBP under President Trump? Why would they not only keep coming, but come in even greater numbers? That makes no sense if you think about it. So ,,, what's the answer?

Trump fans? You have been played like a fiddle:

Trump actually made immigration worse, just to whip up your anger and support. You should better educate yourself on the situation and see the big picture.

"Up until 2017, illegal immigration across the southern border was fine. It had been decreasing for years; it was at historically low levels; and there were no regular caravans of asylum seekers coming up from Guatemala. The first of the recent caravans began in 2018, and at first they seemed like the ones we had seen before from time to time: they started with a few thousand people and then shrunk as they got farther north. By the time they reached the US border, they were modest in size and created only modest problems.

But then, later in 2018, as Election Day approached, Trump suddenly went bananas. There were armies of migrants marching toward our border! Mexico has to stop it! Build the wall!

But this backfired. Not only did Republicans get walloped at the polls, but Trump’s constant howling acted as a great marketing campaign for the caravans. Instead of scaring migrants away, he made them more aware of asylum as a way of escaping from their country. The result was more caravans than ever before, and eventually, enough people at the border that we really did have something of a crisis on our hands. But it’s a crisis mostly of Trump’s own making. He decided that yelling about the brown hordes was more useful than making a deal of some kind with Democrats, and the result was more families seeking asylum than ever before.

I suspect that Trump understands this at a gut level. The migrant crisis happened on Trump’s watch. Presidents get blamed for stuff that happens on their watch. So Trump is taking the blame for the migrant crisis. He can squawk forever about Democrats not being willing to build his wall, but in the end he owns the migrant crisis and the public will hold him to account for it. I think that’s fair, since I suspect that putting immigration front and center for the past two years has largely caused the crisis. But even if you disagree, it doesn’t matter. Trump is president. Fair or not, he takes the blame. He knows this, and it panics him.

Trump himself, of course, is too dimwitted to think of any solution other than getting even louder and tougher. That’s not likely to work, but it’s his only play."

Commentary April 8, 2019 Donald Trump Created the Crisis at the Border

Trump cuts off the aide that was helping with the problem, so the problem became worse, which plays right into his hand.

Here Are Some of the Dozens of U.S.-Funded Programs:

"Guatemala:

Of the Northern Triangle nations, Guatemala receives the most aid from the United States. It is used to enhance economic growth, food security, and rural and social development, according to the Washington Office on Latin America, a human rights research group. According to the group’s most recent figures, which are for 2017, more than $78.6 million was awarded to programs that support those goals. An additional $28.8 million went toward border and drug control, $22 million to governance and human rights, and $48.2 million to improve security and justice that year.

The dozens of continuing projects include:

Feed the Future Guatemala, which focuses on increasing farmers’ incomes, improving rural nutrition and strengthening food security. The Agency for International Development estimates it will invest $36 million over a five-year period from 2017 to 2022.

The Youth and Gender Justice Project, a program aimed at providing support and services to victims of violence, including youth, women and other vulnerable people. The project will receive an estimated $37.4 million from 2016 to 2021.

The Community Roots Project, a World Vision program that creates educational, cultural, athletic and employment opportunities for young people in Guatemala. The program is estimated to receive $40 million from 2016 to 2021.

The Agency for International Development said in a 2018 fact sheet that its programs in Guatemala have led to an increase in income in high-migration areas and reduced impunity for criminals by strengthening the courts.

Honduras:

American aid to Honduras is mostly focused on security, the justice sector and violence prevention, according to the Washington Office on Latin America, with $65.5 million in aid going to those types of programs in 2017. An additional $116 million went that year to projects that supported education, sustainable farming and business development.

Some of the projects include:

Alliance for the Dry Corridor, or ACS, which promotes agricultural diversity and aims to decrease poverty and malnutrition in western Honduras. The program is estimated to receive $60.6 million from 2014 to 2020.

Avanzando con Libros, a project set to receive $9.9 million from 2017 to 2020. It provides books for students and teachers in schools in need.

Alianza de Café, which is to receive $2 million between 2018 and 2022, and provides support to small-scale coffee farmers to expand the industry and create opportunities in struggling communities.

The Agency for International Development, in a 2018 fact sheet detailing its programs in Honduras, said that its investments in the country had contributed to an increase in average income for tens of thousands of families, a reduction in homicides and an increased capacity to prosecute criminals.

El Salvador:

In El Salvador, the majority of American aid also goes toward security, the justice sector and violence prevention, though at a much higher scale than in Honduras and Guatemala, according to data from the Agency for International Development.

The aid supports projects across the spectrum, including those that strengthen the justice system and create jobs.

A sample of these are:

The Crime and Violence Prevention program, which received approximately $39.8 million from 2013 to 2019 from the United States. It partners with the government of El Salvador to bolster community-based crime fighting and support innovative ideas for violence prevention.

Bridges for Employment, a $42.2 million five-year program, promotes technical training for civic organizations that improve employment opportunities for at-risk youth.

Government Integrity, a $20.3 million project that supports local governments to promote accountability and transparency.

The Agency for International Development reported a 61 percent decrease in homicides between 2015 and 2017 in municipalities that received security funding under its programs, along with the creation of more than 22,000 jobs, in a 2018 fact sheet."

President Trump also made the crisis worse by changing the way Asylum Seekers are processed. Since we don't have enough judges to keep up with the case load, and each one deserves a hearing to determine if they are eligible the previous method was to release them on bond. Trump changed that. Asylum seekers are now detained instead of being released after a bond hearing:

Federal judge blocks Trump policy keeping asylum seekers detained

All of this represents a pattern of actions which have actually made the immigration crisis WORSE, not better.

No thread ban on this one. My Ignore List and PIP remain in effect.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (07-06-2019), domer76 (07-06-2019), gemini104104 (07-14-2019), Guno צְבִי (07-06-2019), Rune (07-07-2019), signalmankenneth (07-09-2019), StoneByStone (07-06-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

History more than shows how authoritarian and fascist freaks always need their scapegoats and rely upon really stupid and ignorant folks who will buy into it.

GOP greed.jpg

I posted a thread that actually describes an intelligent humane way to address the problem which Julian Castro is advocating for...A modern day Marshall Plan.

Julián Castro: the US should launch a Marshall plan in Central America

Julián Castro: ‘The US has a checkered history when it comes to some of these Central American regimes – oftentimes strongmen leaders have used the US as a foil to prop themselves up.’

The US should launch a 21st-century Marshall plan in Central America to help stricken countries combat gangs and poverty to stem the flow of undocumented immigrants to America’s southern border, the Democratic presidential candidate Julián Castro has proposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-marshall-plan

5. The Following User Groans At Cinnabar For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-13-2019), signalmankenneth (07-09-2019)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

But it’s a crisis mostly of Trump’s own making. He decided that yelling about the brown hordes was more useful than making a deal of some kind with Democrats, and the result was more families seeking asylum than ever before.

make a deal with Pelosi?? man do you have a short memory!

She wouldn't deal even with the govenemnt shutdown

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    History more than shows how authoritarian and fascist freaks always need their scapegoats and rely upon really stupid and ignorant folks who will buy into it.

GOP greed.jpg

I posted a thread that actually describes an intelligent humane way to address the problem which Julian Castro is advocating for...A modern day Marshall Plan.
    we have been giving USAID -it doesn't get to the people

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post

Selective memory?

Pelosi just made a deal to provide funding for improving border detainee conditions.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Rune (07-07-2019)

14. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

-it doesn't get to the people
    Says you, with no supporting evidence.

15. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2019)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Rune (07-07-2019)

17. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello anatta,

Says you, with no supporting evidence.
    in a Corruption Battle in Honduras, the Elites Hit Back
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/w...hernandez.html

Former El Salvador president sentenced to 10 years in prison
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1LS39Y

Guatemala: New Attack on Anti-Corruption Body
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/12/19/...orruption-body
    The decision by the government of President Jimmy Morales to expel investigators with the International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala is a major blow to efforts to bring corrupt officials to justice, Human Rights Watch said today.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-06-2019)

19. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

Thanks for providing links.

in a Corruption Battle in Honduras, the Elites Hit Back
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/w...hernandez.html

Former El Salvador president sentenced to 10 years in prison
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1LS39Y

Guatemala: New Attack on Anti-Corruption Body
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/12/19/...orruption-body
    The decision by the government of President Jimmy Morales to expel investigators with the International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala is a major blow to efforts to bring corrupt officials to justice, Human Rights Watch said today.

"SAN SALVADOR (Reuters) - An El Salvador tribunal sentenced former President Antonio Saca to 10 years in prison on Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to embezzlement and money laundering charges involving more than $300 million of public funds.

Saca, 53, pleaded guilty to the charges last month. His lawyer said at the time that he had pleaded guilty in exchange for a reduction in his prison sentence.

During the trial, prosecutors said Saca had appropriated public funds for himself and others, including taking more than $7 million for his former party, the right-wing Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA).

Five years of the sentence were for money laundering, and five for embezzlement. He also has to give back $260 million to the state.

The court also sentenced six other former officials from Saca’s government to between three and 16 years for participating in a network of corruption. "

Sounds like anti-corruption efforts are effective. They should be supported, not defunded.

By ending the anti-corruption aid money to Central America, Trump is supporting the corruption.

Once again. Trump is making the problem worse. It is a crisis of his own making, and the purpose of it is obvious.

He is the greatest conman in the world, and this is how his con works on the Republican party.

Keep corruption alive in Central America. Drive the migrants out of those countries and toward the USA, where he can scapegoat them and falsely claim the best solution is a wall.

20. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Rune (07-07-2019)

22. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello anatta,

Sounds like anti-corruption efforts are effective. They should be supported, not defunded.
    Saca’s successor as president, Mauricio Funes, has been in exile in Nicaragua since September 2016, also accused of corruption. He has been accused of using public funds to pay for trips, home remodeling and hospital bills, among other expenses.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

24. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello anatta,

Selective memory?

Pelosi just made a deal to provide funding for improving border detainee conditions.
    but nothing to stop the migrants - improving conditions is a band-aid approach at best

25. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (07-07-2019)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

27. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Have you ever wondered why Central American migrants would continue to come to the USA after all the stories about the horrible treatment which awaits them at the hands of the CBP under President Trump? Why would they not only keep coming, but come in even greater numbers? That makes no sense if you think about it. So ,,, what's the answer?

Trump fans? You have been played like a fiddle:

Trump actually made immigration worse, just to whip up your anger and support. You should better educate yourself on the situation and see the big picture.

"Up until 2017, illegal immigration across the southern border was fine. It had been decreasing for years; it was at historically low levels; and there were no regular caravans of asylum seekers coming up from Guatemala. The first of the recent caravans began in 2018, and at first they seemed like the ones we had seen before from time to time: they started with a few thousand people and then shrunk as they got farther north. By the time they reached the US border, they were modest in size and created only modest problems.

But then, later in 2018, as Election Day approached, Trump suddenly went bananas. There were armies of migrants marching toward our border! Mexico has to stop it! Build the wall!

But this backfired. Not only did Republicans get walloped at the polls, but Trump’s constant howling acted as a great marketing campaign for the caravans. Instead of scaring migrants away, he made them more aware of asylum as a way of escaping from their country. The result was more caravans than ever before, and eventually, enough people at the border that we really did have something of a crisis on our hands. But it’s a crisis mostly of Trump’s own making. He decided that yelling about the brown hordes was more useful than making a deal of some kind with Democrats, and the result was more families seeking asylum than ever before.

I suspect that Trump understands this at a gut level. The migrant crisis happened on Trump’s watch. Presidents get blamed for stuff that happens on their watch. So Trump is taking the blame for the migrant crisis. He can squawk forever about Democrats not being willing to build his wall, but in the end he owns the migrant crisis and the public will hold him to account for it. I think that’s fair, since I suspect that putting immigration front and center for the past two years has largely caused the crisis. But even if you disagree, it doesn’t matter. Trump is president. Fair or not, he takes the blame. He knows this, and it panics him.

Trump himself, of course, is too dimwitted to think of any solution other than getting even louder and tougher. That’s not likely to work, but it’s his only play."

Commentary April 8, 2019 Donald Trump Created the Crisis at the Border

Trump cuts off the aide that was helping with the problem, so the problem became worse, which plays right into his hand.

Here Are Some of the Dozens of U.S.-Funded Programs:

"Guatemala:

Of the Northern Triangle nations, Guatemala receives the most aid from the United States. It is used to enhance economic growth, food security, and rural and social development, according to the Washington Office on Latin America, a human rights research group. According to the group’s most recent figures, which are for 2017, more than $78.6 million was awarded to programs that support those goals. An additional $28.8 million went toward border and drug control, $22 million to governance and human rights, and $48.2 million to improve security and justice that year.

The dozens of continuing projects include:

Feed the Future Guatemala, which focuses on increasing farmers’ incomes, improving rural nutrition and strengthening food security. The Agency for International Development estimates it will invest $36 million over a five-year period from 2017 to 2022.

The Youth and Gender Justice Project, a program aimed at providing support and services to victims of violence, including youth, women and other vulnerable people. The project will receive an estimated $37.4 million from 2016 to 2021.

The Community Roots Project, a World Vision program that creates educational, cultural, athletic and employment opportunities for young people in Guatemala. The program is estimated to receive $40 million from 2016 to 2021.

The Agency for International Development said in a 2018 fact sheet that its programs in Guatemala have led to an increase in income in high-migration areas and reduced impunity for criminals by strengthening the courts.

Honduras:

American aid to Honduras is mostly focused on security, the justice sector and violence prevention, according to the Washington Office on Latin America, with $65.5 million in aid going to those types of programs in 2017. An additional $116 million went that year to projects that supported education, sustainable farming and business development.

Some of the projects include:

Alliance for the Dry Corridor, or ACS, which promotes agricultural diversity and aims to decrease poverty and malnutrition in western Honduras. The program is estimated to receive $60.6 million from 2014 to 2020.

Avanzando con Libros, a project set to receive $9.9 million from 2017 to 2020. It provides books for students and teachers in schools in need.

Alianza de Café, which is to receive $2 million between 2018 and 2022, and provides support to small-scale coffee farmers to expand the industry and create opportunities in struggling communities.

The Agency for International Development, in a 2018 fact sheet detailing its programs in Honduras, said that its investments in the country had contributed to an increase in average income for tens of thousands of families, a reduction in homicides and an increased capacity to prosecute criminals.

El Salvador:

In El Salvador, the majority of American aid also goes toward security, the justice sector and violence prevention, though at a much higher scale than in Honduras and Guatemala, according to data from the Agency for International Development.

The aid supports projects across the spectrum, including those that strengthen the justice system and create jobs.

A sample of these are:

The Crime and Violence Prevention program, which received approximately $39.8 million from 2013 to 2019 from the United States. It partners with the government of El Salvador to bolster community-based crime fighting and support innovative ideas for violence prevention.

Bridges for Employment, a $42.2 million five-year program, promotes technical training for civic organizations that improve employment opportunities for at-risk youth.

Government Integrity, a $20.3 million project that supports local governments to promote accountability and transparency.

The Agency for International Development reported a 61 percent decrease in homicides between 2015 and 2017 in municipalities that received security funding under its programs, along with the creation of more than 22,000 jobs, in a 2018 fact sheet."

President Trump also made the crisis worse by changing the way Asylum Seekers are processed. Since we don't have enough judges to keep up with the case load, and each one deserves a hearing to determine if they are eligible the previous method was to release them on bond. Trump changed that. Asylum seekers are now detained instead of being released after a bond hearing:

Federal judge blocks Trump policy keeping asylum seekers detained

All of this represents a pattern of actions which have actually made the immigration crisis WORSE, not better.

No thread ban on this one. My Ignore List and PIP remain in effect.
    I do totally agree that Trump did this to raise immigration numbers, but I do have to ask, should America be funding all of these countries in the first place?

28. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,286 Times in 10,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,908 Times in 4,224 Posts
    Blog Entries

That was Trump’s shutdown, dumbfuck. He even admitted it.

29. The Following User Groans At domer76 For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Rune (07-07-2019)

31. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

Saca’s successor as president, Mauricio Funes, has been in exile in Nicaragua since September 2016, also accused of corruption. He has been accused of using public funds to pay for trips, home remodeling and hospital bills, among other expenses.
    Right. It has been established that corruption exists. (Heck! It's LEGAL in the USA...)

What has not been established is that by defunding anti-corruption efforts, that the problem will go away.

32. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

33. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    I do totally agree that Trump did this to raise immigration numbers, but I do have to ask, should America be funding all of these countries in the first place?
    Only when we want to recognize that it has become a problem for us.

How does a wall stop the 77% of illegals who overstay visas?

Trump brings in migrants to work in his wealth extraction empire. Does he account for all of them and make sure none simply overstay? He has a way of saying one thing and doing the opposite.

34. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)

35. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Hello StoneByStone,

Only when we want to recognize that it has become a problem for us.

How does a wall stop the 77% of illegals who overstay visas?

Trump brings in migrants to work in his wealth extraction empire. Does he account for all of them and make sure none simply overstay? He has a way of saying one thing and doing the opposite.
    Trump is a Conservative, which means he wants mass third world immigration. This lowers wages and provides the rich with cheap labor. I'm under no delusion that Trump lied about immigration and the wall in order to win the election.

But that aside, should we be funding other countries? Why were we aiding all of these other countries in the first place?

36. The Following User Groans At StoneByStone For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-13-2019)