Thread: California becomes first state to ban hairstyle discrimination

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    It sounds like you're trying to avoid my point.
    I didn't in the least. You made two points by the way.

1. Freedom of association
    2. It's a sales pitch for the right and a loser for the left

I addressed both over the course of the last several pages if you are a careful reader.

1. Is a battle between conflicting positive and negative liberties, and I professed my belief your positive liberty argument is a figleaf over ugly prejudice
    2. I agreed, and that your win is short termed and helped by hyperbolic bullshit and fear not reality.

And while I'm making these concessions, hasten to add none of these bootstrap brilliant private business moguls (LOL) , individual liberty dudes care to acknowledge
    these businesses are open to that nasty concept called "the public." Apparently owning a business includes an absolute right to trammel everyone with whom
    ones does business. Razor blade burgers on sale now! The second you concede one cannot do whatever the fuck one wants just because they own something,
    that is the second that argument loses, because then we are not debating the fact that you are a prostitute, we are negotiating the price. I say not discriminating
    against hair you hate that happens to be worn 99.999999 percent by black people is not too high a price.

You can't do business with the public and arbitrarily discriminate against blacks.. This is not a new concept, it's a refinement.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-05-2019)

3. #77 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    So freedom is now for the right wing conservatives a one way street in which every tom dick and harriet can discriminate. How nice is that. Righties need to wear a hat that says 'we discriminate based on anything at all' so that we know who they are and just how un-American they are. We'll still serve them as we are still Americans, they on the other hand are....
    Maybe you should tell that to the military or a hospital.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,848 Times in 14,187 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Maybe you should tell that to the military or a hospital.
    coming from a vocational school boy who never served in the military
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Still awaiting proof that you did. Until you provide it and it can be verified, your claims are dismissed.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

coming from a racist bigoted cockroach who doesn't know anything about me.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (07-05-2019)

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    coming from a racist bigoted cockroach who doesn't know anything about me.
    I've been trying to get him to show proof of his claimed service. You'd thing someone as proud of he is, provided he actually did serve, would have provided it by now.

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    I've been trying to get him to show proof of his claimed service. You'd thing someone as proud of he is, provided he actually did serve, would have provided it by now.
    Someone with his racist and bigoted attitude would have received a blanket party on a daily basis.

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I didn't in the least. You made two points by the way.
    You kind of did by using all of the racial buzzwords and trying to make it about prejudice.

1. Is a battle between conflicting positive and negative liberties, and I professed my belief your positive liberty argument is a figleaf over ugly prejudice
    See this is what I mean. But ok, let's just say it's "ugly prejudice." Should the government force us to associate with people that we're prejudice against?

2. I agreed, and that your win is short termed and helped by hyperbolic bullshit and fear not reality.
    You think this is a win for me? I don't want the country to reelect Trump and further head towards Fascism either. And it's hardly going to be short term. Look at what's happening in Europe.
    And no, it's not hyperbolic to say that the Democrats are taking away more of our freedoms.

individual liberty dudes care to acknowledge these businesses are open to that nasty concept called "the public."
    Sure, but we're talking about private companies, not public companies.

Apparently owning a business includes an absolute right to trammel everyone with whom
    ones does business. Razor blade burgers on sale now! The second you concede one cannot do whatever the fuck one wants just because they own something,
    that is the second that argument loses, because then we are not debating the fact that you are a prostitute, we are negotiating the price. I say not discriminating
    against hair you hate that happens to be worn 99.999999 percent by black people is not too high a price.
    Complete hyperbole. This is like saying we shouldn't even have freedom of speech, because we can agree that it should be illegal to threaten someone or yell BOMB at an airport.

Sure, private companies shouldn't be able to do ANYTHING they want. A restaurant shouldn't be able to poison their customers without them knowing. But comparing that to having a dress code is just extreme.

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    wont be long till u are forced to hire this freak

Attachment 10516
    California public school teacher?.....

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 970 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    Another freedom taken from us. A private business should be free to refuse service or employment to anyone for any reason.
    Another rogue extremist abusing our citizenry. Time to take it to the Supreme Court.
    Free speech is cool as long as it jibes with our program.

-- The Left

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,637 Times in 10,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Has anyone not hired you because u have cock hair on your head?

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

You kind of did by using all of the racial buzzwords and trying to make it about prejudice.

See this is what I mean. But ok, let's just say it's "ugly prejudice." Should the government force us to associate with people that we're prejudice against?

You think this is a win for me? I don't want the country to reelect Trump and further head towards Fascism either. And it's hardly going to be short term. Look at what's happening in Europe.
    And no, it's not hyperbolic to say that the Democrats are taking away more of our freedoms.

Sure, but we're talking about private companies, not public companies.

Complete hyperbole. This is like saying we shouldn't even have freedom of speech, because we can agree that it should be illegal to threaten someone or yell BOMB at an airport.

Sure, private companies shouldn't be able to do ANYTHING they want. A restaurant shouldn't be able to poison their customers without them knowing. But comparing that to having a dress code is just extreme.
    Of course it was extreme. That was solely to get us to the correct frame of reference. Now we can dicker over the details of our example. I eliminated the "my business I can do whatever the fuck I want" crowd.
    The statute as amended by the law says

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200SB188

you will see an existing body of law exists and this is a small addition. Note that Afros were already protected by fed law.

I say it's good. You think an employer can require a black men to straighten hair, force him to die it blonde, part it on the left
    and wear khakis and a blue button down if not hold a lantern to be "professional" if he feels like it.

Not a big deal, don't disciminate in ed or housing because of hair style. Let Kawhi be Kawhi. He doesn't need to look like Leave it to Beaver dude.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Jade Dragon (07-05-2019)

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

What if I want this refusal to do business? If it's a private company, why shouldn't I have that right?
    Here's the deal you racist fuck.

You can discriminate against anyone you wish, for what ever reason you want...…..but don't expect to receive any tax breaks or special privileges.

You can't discriminate on the tax payers dime.

Racism needs to pay a price and you will pay that price in CA.

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Here's the deal you racist fuck.

You can discriminate against anyone you wish, for what ever reason you want...…..but don't expect to receive any tax breaks or special privileges.

You can't discriminate on the tax payers dime.

Racism needs to pay a price and you will pay that price in CA.
    Sure, that's fair. We should have freedom of association and the government shouldn't be funding private companies.

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Of course it was extreme. That was solely to get us to the correct frame of reference. Now we can dicker over the details of our example. I eliminated the "my business I can do whatever the fuck I want" crowd.
    But you do realize that it's a bad argument if you're going to use hyperbole, right? Like I said, you could also argue against freedom of speech this way.

I say it's good. You think an employer can require a black men to straighten hair, force him to die it blonde, part it on the left
    and wear khakis and a blue button down if not hold a lantern to be "professional" if he feels like it.
    Then you don't believe in freedom of association.

By the way, may I ask your ethnicity?