Members banned from this thread: CFM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Under 9 week until College Football starts again!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Now how do you think your top ten list matches up to the top ten coaches salaries? Coaching staff salaries? Schools spending the most on college football? Etc.

Do you think there might exist there a common denominator of the more you spend the better your team is? If such, it really isn't amateur competition, but more so a race of the dollar, the more you spend, the more you win, kinda like professional football, except the State controls the purse strings
    I think the athletes should be paid something for their work. But, that aside, as long as they are not being paid, it is amateur athletics.

UAB is an amazing medical school. They pay their professors handsomely, and they attract some of the best. Their facilities are cutting edge. Consequently, they attract the cream of the crop in students. It is the same thing.

The University of Alabama pays Nick Saban very well. Not because they have the money. But because he brings home championships. Without Saban, Alabama would still be mediocre.

Also, what the coaches make and the cost of the facilities is covered by the money made by the football program.

The athletic dept at Univ of Alabama has a huge profit margin. And that effects every facet of the university, from professors to enrollment to funding all other sports.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm curious to see if either Notre Dame or Michigan can finish a season on top.

Both have had good teams in the last 10 or 12 years. But both seem to implode before the season ends.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I think the athletes should be paid something for their work. But, that aside, as long as they are not being paid, it is amateur athletics.

UAB is an amazing medical school. They pay their professors handsomely, and they attract some of the best. Their facilities are cutting edge. Consequently, they attract the cream of the crop in students. It is the same thing.

The University of Alabama pays Nick Saban very well. Not because they have the money. But because he brings home championships. Without Saban, Alabama would still be mediocre.

Also, what the coaches make and the cost of the facilities is covered by the money made by the football program.

The athletic dept at Univ of Alabama has a huge profit margin. And that effects every facet of the university, from professors to enrollment to funding all other sports.
    Can't believe you are still that naive, it is semi-pro, the Ivy League would be amateur football, the more you spend in time the more you win, common sense, your top ten list proves it, it is all about the dollar

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Can't believe you are still that naive, it is semi-pro, the Ivy League would be amateur football, the more you spend in time the more you win, common sense, your top ten list proves it, it is all about the dollar
    I can't believe you are still going on about this.

The athletes are not paid. Yes, they receive scholarships ect, but unless they are paid they are amateurs.

And why is it that the top medical researchers are at Johns Hopkins or Stanford instead of smaller schools? Could it be that they pay professors better and have better facilities?

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can't believe you are still going on about this.

The athletes are not paid. Yes, they receive scholarships ect, but unless they are paid they are amateurs.

And why is it that the top medical researchers are at Johns Hopkins or Stanford instead of smaller schools? Could it be that they pay professors better and have better facilities?
    You are actually equating medical research with college football?

If all the schools competed on equal footing it would be amateur, but they don't, a minority of institutions dedicate themselves to college football and are all in financially, they are starting the season standing on third base

It is semipro, the more you spend, the greater your results, just like NASCAR, money is the common denominator to sucess

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are actually equating medical research with college football?

If all the schools competed on equal footing it would be amateur, but they don't, a minority of institutions dedicate themselves to college football and are all in financially, they are starting the season standing on third base

It is semipro, the more you spend, the greater your results, just like NASCAR, money is the common denominator to sucess
    I am equating spending more and getting better results.

And actually, the college athletes are held to stricter standards than other college students. My son went to school on a full scholarship. He was an Aerospace Engineering major, and got both his BS and masters degree with no money out of his pocket and no student loans. He also worked while in school. One was a research job and another was a part-time job off campus. Athletes cannot do that.

If you do not financially support the football program, it obviously is not a priority. So the fact that you have trouble competing with programs that do support their football program is not a surprise.

And if you only provide some support, and don't go to bowls every year, your investment is flushed down the toilet. Those who are "all in" reap the rewards. Their money is an investment.

You can keep trying to say it is semi-pro ball. But the fact is it is amateur and it is not going away.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go Bayou Bengals !
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am equating spending more and getting better results.

And actually, the college athletes are held to stricter standards than other college students. My son went to school on a full scholarship. He was an Aerospace Engineering major, and got both his BS and masters degree with no money out of his pocket and no student loans. He also worked while in school. One was a research job and another was a part-time job off campus. Athletes cannot do that.

If you do not financially support the football program, it obviously is not a priority. So the fact that you have trouble competing with programs that do support their football program is not a surprise.

And if you only provide some support, and don't go to bowls every year, your investment is flushed down the toilet. Those who are "all in" reap the rewards. Their money is an investment.

You can keep trying to say it is semi-pro ball. But the fact is it is amateur and it is not going away.
    You believe that, "college athletes are held to stricker standards.......?" Your son wasn't taking courses in Sports Management nor some other unexplainable major, and the retention rate for engineering probably isn't as high as that for scholarship football players at those "top ten schools"

It is not about how a school gets money, although it sure is a lot easier for State financed institutions, which explains why your top ten is largely State schools, but rather how they finance their priorities. If you want a top ten football team, you got to spend the bucks, the more you spend the higher the probability you will be sucessful. Common sense, not about amateur competition, but buying an advantage, as I keep saying, like NASCAR, except they don't pay the drivers

The money factor makes it semipro, and I never said it should go away, I just recognize it for what it is, it is a commercial entity, the top ten are products, it is not amateur competition

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You believe that, "college athletes are held to stricker standards.......?" Your son wasn't taking courses in Sports Management nor some other unexplainable major, and the retention rate for engineering probably isn't as high as that for scholarship football players at those "top ten schools"

It is not about how a school gets money, although it sure is a lot easier for State financed institutions, which explains why your top ten is largely State schools, but rather how they finance their priorities. If you want a top ten football team, you got to spend the bucks, the more you spend the higher the probability you will be sucessful. Common sense, not about amateur competition, but buying an advantage, as I keep saying, like NASCAR, except they don't pay the drivers

The money factor makes it semipro, and I never said it should go away, I just recognize it for what it is, it is a commercial entity, the top ten are products, it is not amateur competition
    The idea that all football players major in Sports Mgmt is laughable. Alabama has had a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, at least 6 graduate cum laude, and an offensive lineman graduate with a degree in Accounting with a 4.0 GPA. The graduation rate for the Univ of Alabama football team is better than the national average for all students.

How is it easier with a state financed school? The pay for the head coach (the really big money) is partly endorsements.

And the number 5 team is a private school.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here is a scary trend for those who want to see the Crimson Tide lose.

Since 2008, when Alabama lost badly in a season, the next year they won the National Championship.

In 2008 Alabama lost to Florida & Tim Tebow in the SEC Championship and then were humiliated by Utah in the bowl game (17-31).
    In 2009 Alabama beat Florida & Tebow in the SEC Championship and went undefeated to win the NC.

In 2010 Alabama lost 3 games (S.Carolina, LSU and auburn). The worst season in the last 10 years.
    In 2011 Alabama only had one loss, an OT loss to LSU. They went 12-1 and won the NC.

In 2014 Alabama made the playoffs, but were beaten by Ohio State in the semifinal.
    In 2015 Alabama went 14-1 and won the NC.

In 2016 Alabama lost a close game for the Championship to Clemson (31-35).
    In 2017 Alabama destroyed Clemson (24-6) and beat Georgia in an OT thriller to win the NC.

The exception to all of this was the 2013 season, which saw Alabama lose to auburn in a freakishly rare play and then get beaten by Oklahoma (31-45) in the bowl game.

Will this season see Bama rise to the occasion? I think so.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,780 Times in 33,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is a scary trend for those who want to see the Crimson Tide lose.

Since 2008, when Alabama lost badly in a season, the next year they won the National Championship.

In 2008 Alabama lost to Florida & Tim Tebow in the SEC Championship and then were humiliated by Utah in the bowl game (17-31).
    In 2009 Alabama beat Florida & Tebow in the SEC Championship and went undefeated to win the NC.

In 2010 Alabama lost 3 games (S.Carolina, LSU and auburn). The worst season in the last 10 years.
    In 2011 Alabama only had one loss, an OT loss to LSU. They went 12-1 and won the NC.

In 2014 Alabama made the playoffs, but were beaten by Ohio State in the semifinal.
    In 2015 Alabama went 14-1 and won the NC.

In 2016 Alabama lost a close game for the Championship to Clemson (31-35).
    In 2017 Alabama destroyed Clemson (24-6) and beat Georgia in an OT thriller to win the NC.

The exception to all of this was the 2013 season, which saw Alabama lose to auburn in a freakishly rare play and then get beaten by Oklahoma (31-45) in the bowl game.

Will this season see Bama rise to the occasion? I think so.
    I’m kind of excited for football this year. KU may have a team this year.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Go Bayou Bengals !
    From what I am reading, Coach O has them looking tough.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I’m kind of excited for football this year. KU may have a team this year.
    Coach Miles is a great coach. He is crazy as a loon, but is lucky when he needs it.

I'm interested to see how KU does.

I know they should have a helluva running game.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-22-2019)

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,780 Times in 33,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Coach Miles is a great coach. He is crazy as a loon, but is lucky when he needs it.

I'm interested to see how KU does.

I know they should have a helluva running game.
    Good Luck to Bama, I know how it is to have a team everyone hates on because you are consistently good.