Members banned from this thread: tinfoil, Hermes Thoth, SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Wolverine, Sailor, Life is Golden, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Evmetro, Superfreak, CharacterAssassin, RB 60, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, Joe Capitalist, countryboy, Tommatthews, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, coolzone, rhym3pays, LV426, Loving91390, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, Enlightened One, Anarchon, artichoke, Bobb, Earl, lisasanders1964 and Vasquezrocks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conservative Myth: "Minimum Wage Was Never Meant To Be A Living Wage" FDR Said It Was

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

Seriously?

You are drawing a distinction between 'should be' and 'intended to be?'

And using that to argue that minimum wage needs to stay at a fixed point, as inflation makes it irrelevant?

Why don't you simply advocate for no minimum wage at all.

So when big corporations say to workers:

'We would pay you less, but it's against the law.'

You want to LET THEM?

What is the intended result?

Making wealth inequality more extreme?

How, exactly, does that promote the general welfare and tranquility?

Well, I guess people who can't earn enough to eat, despite working all day, will die.

Dead people are VERY tranquil.

Is THAT it?
    You are reading things into my post which are not there. I gave no opinion about the minimum wage yet you took off on a tangent about the virtues of a higher wage.

I merely stated you are incorrect in stating conservatives are repeating a myth or lie when they say it was not intended to be a minimum wage. I don't hear any who say that and its intent is irrelevant to what Congress chose to do in 1938 or today. If indexed for inflation the original 25 cents would be worth about $4.54 today. What FDR intended is not reflected in what Congress chose to do then or since. So, maybe FDR did intend it to be a living wage but not the legislative body that actually enacted the law--his intent is only his opinion.

I have given no opinion about the minimum wage, only challenging your statement that conservatives are repeating a myth.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    You are reading things into my post which are not there. I gave no opinion about the minimum wage yet you took off on a tangent about the virtues of a higher wage.

I merely stated you are incorrect in stating conservatives are repeating a myth or lie when they say it was not intended to be a minimum wage. I don't hear any who say that and its intent is irrelevant to what Congress chose to do in 1938 or today. If indexed for inflation the original 25 cents would be worth about $4.54 today. What FDR intended is not reflected in what Congress chose to do then or since. So, maybe FDR did intend it to be a living wage but not the legislative body that actually enacted the law--his intent is only his opinion.

I have given no opinion about the minimum wage, only challenging your statement that conservatives are repeating a myth.
    Well I am amazed you have never heard anyone arguing that minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage.

Sorry I don't have any immediate specific examples, and I really don't feel like proving something that is such common knowledge. You are certainly free to believe it never occurs. That hardly matters. It does. I have heard conservatives argue this for years. And they are wrong. FDR definitely said it should be a living wage, intended for it to be that.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

Well I am amazed you have never heard anyone arguing that minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage.

Sorry I don't have any immediate specific examples, and I really don't feel like proving something that is such common knowledge. You are certainly free to believe it never occurs. That hardly matters. It does. I have heard conservatives argue this for years. And they are wrong. FDR definitely said it should be a living wage, intended for it to be that.
    I agree with you if I can modify your original claim. "Conservatives are stating a myth or lie when they claim FDR never intended the minimum wage to be a living wage." I will accept that as true.

But, they are not stating a myth or lying when they say it was never intended to be a living wage because it never has been and neither Congress nor any president has ever seriously tried to make it so.

All presidents have stated lofty goals they know will never be accomplished: a living wage, no child left behind, minimum family income, Mexico will pay for the wall, affordable healthcare for everyone.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

I agree with you if I can modify your original claim. "Conservatives are stating a myth or lie when they claim FDR never intended the minimum wage to be a living wage." I will accept that as true.
    Well I appreciate that you're trying to find common ground and I do agree with what you say, but you have to admit that if party B says something different than party A it is by definition not agreeing with party A. I am agreeing to what you said, but since it is different from what I said, let's not fool ourselves that you are agreeing with what I said. Of course, there is the sticky little point that I am not aware of any instances of conservatives claiming to dispute what FDR said. What I am familiar with is conservatives simply saying 'intended' without actually saying who was doing the intending.

"The Midland Chamber of Commerce and the Midland Development Corporation hosted a conversation with U.S. Rep. Mike Conaway for the annual “State of the Economy” forum on Thursday. [11-3-14]

Conaway laid out his views on a number of economic issues, ranging from the ways oil and gas production has helped rebound the economy in Texas, to how the Keystone XL pipeline would affect the Permian Basin.

He also offered his views on President Obama’s push to raise the federal minimum wage.

“It’s pandering,” Conaway said. “It’s intended to try to drive folks to the polls to vote for people who support that.”

Conaway laid out his idea of the original purpose of the minimum wage:

“It was never intended to be a living wage,” Conaway said, “it was intended to be those entry-level jobs that people start at and move up, and do the kind of things most everybody in this room has done.”"

Conaway: Minimum Wage “Never Intended to be a Living Wage”

But, they are not stating a myth or lying when they say it was never intended to be a living wage because it never has been and neither Congress nor any president has ever seriously tried to make it so.

All presidents have stated lofty goals they know will never be accomplished: a living wage, no child left behind, minimum family income, Mexico will pay for the wall, affordable healthcare for everyone.
    Your argument is shooting itself in the foot. The originator FDR said it was intended to be a living wage, and had a huge battle to get it passed. Sure he would have liked more and he took what he could get. What happened doesn't change what he intended. It could just as easily be viewed as intended but never quite realized, and something we are still working on. And just because a lofty goal is stated, has no bearing on whether or not it is ever realized. JFK stated an extremely lofty goal to put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth by the end of a decade. He never even lived to see that happen, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It is interesting on that note that the USSR put a man into space before the USA and that was deemed by the USA as a 'propaganda victory,' but when the USA put a man on the moon it was heralded as 'a great accomplishment.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.