Thread: Rod Middle: Israeli Notebooks

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Rod Liddle: Israeli Notebooks

I have a lot of time for Rod Liddle, he is extremely adept at cutting through crap from the likes of BDS and assorted lefty bullshitters.

I'm meant to be peering into a tunnel hacked out by Hamas a few hundred metres from Gaza City into Israeli territory but my attention has wandered. The air around us, above this parched, scrubby wasteland, is fecund with life. A pair of black kites are circling and below them a steppe buzzard is lumbering amidst the thermals. And is that a lappet-faced vulture? Do you know, even without my specs, I think it is. The IDF guy in charge of this facility wanders up. ‘You are interested in the birds, my frent? They too are political. The Palestinians put all their filth, their garbage, right up against the fence, as close to us as possible. As a result, many vermin and many hawks, some endangered elsewhere. There is always an upside to misery. Now, let us go below, please.’

Down, down, then, into a passage fashioned by the perpetually infuriated and frantically scrabbling Morlocks from a Neolithic culture. The idea is this. They spend a million quid and take a year to tunnel into the middle of a sunflower field, suddenly pop up, murder everyone within sight, and then run away. But it’s still only a tunnel — seen one, seen ’em all. I exit sharpish, bored. You’d think if they were that good at digging they might create for themselves a decent sewage system or maybe a road. Instead of a Day of Rage, a Day of Clearing Things Up A Bit. All that’s missing from the tunnel is a blue plaque with yellow stars: the European Union funded this. Or the United Nations. Through their myriad succour for perpetual victims funds.

Later I meet the mayor of a town nearby which is bombed each week, the Iranian-built Qassam rockets raining down from Gaza, killing indiscriminately. The town provides Gaza’s sewage system. ‘Yes,’ the mayor says to me, with the pungent ghost of a smile, ‘we even wash their shit’

On the chopper back to Tel Aviv, an arresting sight. Balloons, lovely balloons, floating in from the west, lilac, pink, nursery blue, orange, all with happy faces on the front. Then they suddenly sink and an Israeli olive grove turns chimney red from the Molotov cocktails attached beneath. The fields here all have scorch marks, as if the entire land has been to a rubbish tanning salon. It reminds me of ten years back when I spent a night in the home of a Palestinian bloke whose pleasant hacienda in Hebron was surrounded by Jewish developments — and the inhabitants were trying to bully him to sell up. He woke me rather brusquely at five in the morning. ‘Rod, come look!’ And there, out of his back window, I saw a couple of Orthodox Jews climb over his fence and take a shit in his vegetable patch — lifting up their Victorian undergarments and crouching furtively. There are economic, cultural and geopolitical reasons for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But never discount pure, unbridled spite and loathing.

My Tel Aviv hotel has a ‘Shabbat’ lift. That’s for Orthodox Jews who are not allowed to use electricity on the Sabbath. How exactly does that work, I wondered? Is it powered by scores of Rabbis on a giant wheel? No, it seems not. It is simply that Orthodox Jews don’t have to press the button to summon the lift, they just have to wait, and in time, it will roll around. Doctrinaire religious observance has caused many problems these past 2,000 years but, oh, the ingenuity it has inspired, when its most fervent adherents seek out loopholes.

I’m out here for the Sunday Times, partly to examine the truths and fictions promulgated by the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. What truths, though? That Israel is an ‘apartheid state’, when its 20 per cent Arab population, unlike most Arabs, have the vote. And a decent life expectancy and — God help us — affirmative action at work? Do the campus infants not know that the BDS founding fathers wished to expunge Israel from the map? That one of its most prominent supporters, Yusuf al Qaradawi, wished for Muslims to finish what Hitler started? But then Baroness Tonge was sacked from the Lib Dem front bench for saying that Israeli rescue workers harvested the organs from Haitian earthquake workers. How do you fight against that sort of leftist, anti-Semitic madness?

I was told I would love Tel Aviv on account of it being a diverse, all-night, bangin’ party city. Christ help us, no, please. But actually the bars spew out early Seventies soft rock: Paul Simon, Bread and (oddly) Cat Stevens. The food has improved since I was last here and now reflects the singular geographical location of the place. Its heart in Asia, its head in Europe (which allows it into the Eurovision Song Contest and the European football championships), and then Eilat, with its scrotum dangling dangerously close to Africa. Fittingly for Jewish people, both somewhere and anywhere. From my restaurant table I can see the lights glimmering on the stubby peninsula of Jaffa. Gaza is not terribly far distant, to the south. The soft rock has stopped and they are now playing disco. It’s the Bee Gees, and Stayin’ Alive.
    I'm reading Israel Notebook via the app

https://app.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/...pig_index.html the
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 06-29-2019 at 02:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

dukkha (07-01-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What no Moonatic?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bump!!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shoot protesters while they rest — Israel’s new rules

More than 200 Palestinians have been killed during Great March of Return protests, among them 44 children, and nearly 8,500 injured by live fire.

The independent human rights experts tapped by the UN to probe Israel’s use of force against the Great March of Return investigated all protest fatalities occurring between the launch of the demonstrations on 30 March 2018 through the end of that year.

The commission of inquiry noted only one incident on 14 May 2018 “that may have amounted to ‘direct participation in hostilities’” and another incident on 12 October that year “that may have constituted an ‘imminent threat to life or serious injury’ to Israeli security forces.”

In all other cases, the commission found, “the use of live ammunition by Israeli security forces against demonstrators was unlawful.”

Retroactive justification
    Suhad Bishara, an attorney with Adalah, stated that the “key instigator” idea was “created retroactively in order to justify the shootings of people who posed no real and immediate danger to Israeli soldiers or civilians.”

She added that the military’s attempt to justify the use of live fire against unarmed demonstrators “results from a total disregard for human life.”

https://electronicintifada.net/

You are a fascism-supporting drone, maggot.

For every manufactured attempt to ' normalize ' Izraeli behavior there are many real accounts of Izraeli atrocities.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    You are a fascism-supporting drone, maggot.

For every manufactured attempt to ' normalize ' Izraeli behavior there are many real accounts of Izraeli atrocities.
    I truly loath cunts like you that use words like fascist willy nilly. I have seen true Fascism at work in places like Auchswitz in Poland and Tuol Sleng in Cambodia. Maybe if you left your mummy's basement once in a while and saw something of the world, you might be a tad more circumspect.

I'm meant to be peering into a tunnel hacked out by Hamas a few hundred metres from Gaza City into Israeli territory but my attention has wandered. The air around us, above this parched, scrubby wasteland, is fecund with life. A pair of black kites are circling and below them a steppe buzzard is lumbering amidst the thermals. And is that a lappet-faced vulture? Do you know, even without my specs, I think it is. The IDF guy in charge of this facility wanders up. ‘You are interested in the birds, my frent? They too are political. The Palestinians put all their filth, their garbage, right up against the fence, as close to us as possible. As a result, many vermin and many hawks, some endangered elsewhere. There is always an upside to misery. Now, let us go below, please.’

Down, down, then, into a passage fashioned by the perpetually infuriated and frantically scrabbling Morlocks from a Neolithic culture. The idea is this. They spend a million quid and take a year to tunnel into the middle of a sunflower field, suddenly pop up, murder everyone within sight, and then run away. But it’s still only a tunnel — seen one, seen ’em all. I exit sharpish, bored. You’d think if they were that good at digging they might create for themselves a decent sewage system or maybe a road. Instead of a Day of Rage, a Day of Clearing Things Up A Bit. All that’s missing from the tunnel is a blue plaque with yellow stars: the European Union funded this. Or the United Nations. Through their myriad succour for perpetual victims funds.

Later I meet the mayor of a town nearby which is bombed each week, the Iranian-built Qassam rockets raining down from Gaza, killing indiscriminately. The town provides Gaza’s sewage system. ‘Yes,’ the mayor says to me, with the pungent ghost of a smile, ‘we even wash their shit’

On the chopper back to Tel Aviv, an arresting sight. Balloons, lovely balloons, floating in from the west, lilac, pink, nursery blue, orange, all with happy faces on the front. Then they suddenly sink and an Israeli olive grove turns chimney red from the Molotov cocktails attached beneath. The fields here all have scorch marks, as if the entire land has been to a rubbish tanning salon. It reminds me of ten years back when I spent a night in the home of a Palestinian bloke whose pleasant hacienda in Hebron was surrounded by Jewish developments — and the inhabitants were trying to bully him to sell up. He woke me rather brusquely at five in the morning. ‘Rod, come look!’ And there, out of his back window, I saw a couple of Orthodox Jews climb over his fence and take a shit in his vegetable patch — lifting up their Victorian undergarments and crouching furtively. There are economic, cultural and geopolitical reasons for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But never discount pure, unbridled spite and loathing.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 07-01-2019 at 01:01 AM.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

spend a million quid and take a year to tunnel into the middle of a sunflower field, suddenly pop up, murder everyone within sight, and then run away. But it’s still only a tunnel — seen one, seen ’em all. I exit sharpish, bored.

You’d think if they were that good at digging they might create for themselves a decent sewage system or maybe a road. Instead of a Day of Rage, a Day of Clearing Things Up A Bit. All that’s missing from the tunnel is a blue plaque with yellow stars: the European Union funded this. Or the United Nations. Through their myriad succour for perpetual victims funds.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are scared by tunnels and balloons, maggot. For all the technology, the armor, the nuclear warheads, the fascist motivations of your despicable role-models you are scared by tunnels and balloons.

Lesson for Kushner in Manama: The Palestinian Resistance can Never be Bought

https://www.juancole.com/2019/07/kus...esistance.html

Maria Ressa.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

You are scared by tunnels and balloons, maggot. For all the technology, the armor, the nuclear warheads, the fascist motivations of your despicable role-models you are scared by tunnels and balloons.
    completely missing the point the millions spent for an assault tunnel could be used for sewers/infrastructure.
    I don't comment on Palestinian resistance except Hamas does not serve it's people. It uses them.
    for "resistance" without purpose except more resistance.

Kushner is an idiot . a kabuki attempt.
    Palestinians don't want western investment, or at least they ain't gonna get it with Hamas around

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

True Fascist states hang gays, women and children from mobile cranes, imprison women for watching football matches and speaking about women's issues.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_1...RTbijnXIyr18pD

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/iran-execu...tehran-1508986

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8198626.html

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/10/28/womens-rights-iran

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    completely missing the point the millions spent for an assault tunnel could be used for sewers/infrastructure.
    I don't comment on Palestinian resistance except Hamas does not serve it's people. It uses them.
    for "resistance" without purpose except more resistance.

Kushner is an idiot . a kabuki attempt.
    Palestinians don't want western investment, or at least they ain't gonna get it with Hamas around
    Hamas need martyrs and victims to justify their existence, they also rely on useful idiots like Moonatic to post bullshit on political forums.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

dukkha (07-01-2019)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Many of the original tunnels were to obtain food and medicine that the Izraeli fascists had denied them.
    It isn't a matter of ' millions'. The resistance resists for free.
    What is the point of building infrastructure for the Izraeli fascists to destroy ?

Maria Ressa.