Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New car day

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default New car day

The Misses just got promoted with a sizable raise in pay. As a payback she said I could buy a new sports car but my budget is $45k tops. Which can buy a decent sports car but isn’t going to buy a race car. I’m not a mechanic and I’m not wealthy so other financial factors come into play. Like cost to own. I intend to drive this car daily.

With the financial limits I have I can eliminate a European car as their reliability and cost to own suck. Particularly the latter.

So I have limited my choice to three types. They are;

A muscle car
    A hot hatch
    A roadster

After doing my research I have decided on one car in each category.

Mustang GT, which is at the high end of my budget. A Civic type R which is in the middle of my budget and a Mazda MX-5 Club spec, at the low end of budget.

The Stang is the fastest in straight line speed and though they have improved the handling it doesn’t handle nearly as well as the other two. The Stang would stomp the Civic type R in a drag race, the type R has terrible launching characteristics but the Type R would beat the Stang on a road track. It’s handling is just that much better. It also has the highest cost to own.

The Type R is probably the best compromise. It’s way lighter than the Stang, is more fun to drive and with 300hp, given the weight difference, isn’t much slower. It’s also the most practical daily daily driver. It’s cost to own is significantly lower than the Stang but surprisingly is equal to the MX-5. On the down side the styling sucks. It looks cartoonish and looks like something an 18 yo would drive.

The MX-5 has upgrade its power to 181 Hp and it only weighs 2350lb. It unquestionably has the best handling and though far less power than the other two is extremely rewarding momentum car for those who know how to drive. You can also push the limits of an MX-5 in a manner you can’t do in the other two if you don’t want to wrap yourself around a telephone pole or go to Jail. Its also a convertible. On the down side it’s The slowest and least practical though it’s the most reliable of the three.

So what are my priorities? In order they are;

Fun to drive
    Great handling
    Speed
    Reliability
    Cost to own
    Practical

Practical is at the bottom of the list as I already have a hatchback that serves that purpose and I intend to keep it.

So the winner is the MX-5. In terms of being fun to drive, particularly with the top down, it walks away from the others. With the hp increase to 181 and the improved aero design it’s top speed is around 145 mph. A significant improvement over the 2018 model that tops out at 125 mph. Certainly slower than the other two but plenty fast for road driving. I’m not going to drive on a track or drag race. It’s also the most reliable of the three based on statistics I’ve reviewed. In the end, for me, being the most fun to drive wins out.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    The Misses just got promoted with a sizable raise in pay. As a payback she said I could buy a new sports car but my budget is $45k tops. Which can buy a decent sports car but isn’t going to buy a race car. I’m not a mechanic and I’m not wealthy so other financial factors come into play. Like cost to own. I intend to drive this car daily.

With the financial limits I have I can eliminate a European car as their reliability and cost to own suck. Particularly the latter.

So I have limited my choice to three types. They are;

A muscle car
    A hot hatch
    A roadster

After doing my research I have decided on one car in each category.

Mustang GT, which is at the high end of my budget. A Civic type R which is in the middle of my budget and a Mazda MX-5 Club spec, at the low end of budget.

The Stang is the fastest in straight line speed and though they have improved the handling it doesn’t handle nearly as well as the other two. The Stang would stomp the Civic type R in a drag race, the type R has terrible launching characteristics but the Type R would beat the Stang on a road track. It’s handling is just that much better. It also has the highest cost to own.

The Type R is probably the best compromise. It’s way lighter than the Stang, is more fun to drive and with 300hp, given the weight difference, isn’t much slower. It’s also the most practical daily daily driver. It’s cost to own is significantly lower than the Stang but surprisingly is equal to the MX-5. On the down side the styling sucks. It looks cartoonish and looks like something an 18 yo would drive.

The MX-5 has upgrade its power to 181 Hp and it only weighs 2350lb. It unquestionably has the best handling and though far less power than the other two is extremely rewarding momentum car for those who know how to drive. You can also push the limits of an MX-5 in a manner you can’t do in the other two if you don’t want to wrap yourself around a telephone pole or go to Jail. Its also a convertible. On the down side it’s The slowest and least practical though it’s the most reliable of the three.

So what are my priorities? In order they are;

Fun to drive
    Great handling
    Speed
    Reliability
    Cost to own
    Practical

Practical is at the bottom of the list as I already have a hatchback that serves that purpose and I intend to keep it.

So the winner is the MX-5. In terms of being fun to drive, particularly with the top down, it walks away from the others. With the hp increase to 181 and the improved aero design it’s top speed is around 145 mph. A significant improvement over the 2018 model that tops out at 125 mph. Certainly slower than the other two but plenty fast for road driving. I’m not going to drive on a track or drag race. It’s also the most reliable of the three based on statistics I’ve reviewed. In the end, for me, being the most fun to drive wins out.
    Mustang!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good choice! Mr. Owl has a Mazda 6 and loves it. It's eminently unsuitable for winter driving here but in a milder climate it is definitely a year-round vehicle. It's zippy and fun to drive, yet gets outstanding gas mileage.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-26-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Mott,

Good choice.

I have rented a lot of cars just to compare handling.All of the selections were in the entry-level pricing group. One was a Mazda 3. I absolutely LOVED the handling. I think it was the best of everything I rented. The worst was a Chrysler SUV. That thing was so bad it was scary. I could hardly believe it was legal for those to be sold, so bad. I felt like if I had to make a quick swerve at speed I would lose control of the car.

Mazda carries on about the fun of driving one. I think they are correct. It was a pure pleasure to drive the 3. Yours must be amazing.

Congrats.

Enjoy!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

I am glad you chose the Mazda! I almost went with a Mazda 3, but was able to get a better deal on the Nissan Sentra. It's surprisingly good in the snow. I drove it up to Sugarloaf in February, and it made it up the mountain with flying colors! LOL! "How did I do making it up here?" "Mama, you're crazy!" LOL!

The only thing I can't get used to in the newer cars is traction control. It's a pain in the ass.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (06-26-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-26-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congrats.
    I would have hit the used market and let someone else eat the depreciation but thats me. Loved my old Toyota MR2.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-26-2019)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Congrats.
    I would have hit the used market and let someone else eat the depreciation but thats me. Loved my old Toyota MR2.
    Totally what I do. And pay cash.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

anonymoose (06-26-2019), Mott the Hoople (06-26-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Celticguy,

Totally what I do. And pay cash.
    My dad refused to buy a new car that lost half its value when you drove it off the lot.
    I give a good home to inexpensive cars with a little life left in them. Had a Jag which I had always loved the look of. Got it out of my system (english cars are fine if they do not need to be reliable or water tight) and on to the next.
    I find it more fun and you get a better grade of car in the process.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-26-2019)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Mustang!
    As I said. Not into drag racing. The Stang, at best, has average handling. Most have poor handling. Great for a drag strip... and that’s about it.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Congrats.

Normally that’s exactly what I would have done but the 2019 ND model is has rendered the 2016-2018 models obsolete. You can get some great deals on a used 2016 model but you’ll
    Soon be wishing you got the 2019 model with the higher HP.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

I highly recommend meeting some wholesalers!

Wholesalers can save you a lot of money. Wholesalers who strictly buy from Automobile Auctions will allow you to attend the Auctions as a guest, for a fee of course, and they will bid for you, and if your bid wins, add on another fee for the purchase.

Many sales at the auctions go for about 50% of the Blue Market Price.

Many times the automobiles come from low mileage rental or lease cars that are in excellent conditions.

All you really need is a letter of credit from your lender!

If I were to buy my wife (if I had a wife) a car, I would probably be looking at late model Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW's.

Those are all luxury sports cars!

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Doesn't surprise me that you would go for the girlie car.

https://www.hotcars.com/15-extremely...d-at-all-cost/

The Mazda MX-5 is a budget-friendly sports car. However, this sports car is designed mainly for women who race. In a way, the Mazda MX-5 is created for the ladies who like to drive fast on the streets. It may not be as fast as other sports cars, especially those that men love to race with, but it's definitely faster than those compact lady cars.

The Mazda MX-5, although girly, is still a fun car to drive on the streets. Hence, it still keeps a small following among men. It has the cuteness factor that drives most women crazy, which is why there are some men who go for it. Overall, the Mazda MX-5 is a nice car that can roar, and you can get it even without spending a fortune for it.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

My dad refused to buy a new car that lost half its value when you drove it off the lot.
    I give a good home to inexpensive cars with a little life left in them. Had a Jag which I had always loved the look of. Got it out of my system (english cars are fine if they do not need to be reliable or water tight) and on to the next.
    I find it more fun and you get a better grade of car in the process.
    I prefer to buy a one-owner directly from the original owner about 4-5 years old in very good condition, keep it real nice, drive it till it has about 130K, then sell it.

I rarely have to do many repairs, but I often perform deferred maintenance. I usually upgrade the oil to synth, change the tranny fluid and anti-freeze, put on a set of tires, and do a detail job. Maybe I have to replace a battery sometimes. The dollar-stretching way to do that is to buy refurb batteries instead of new. They are about half price. The way you get a good refurb battery is check the voltage. The higher the better. Don't accept anything below 12.7V.

I used to drive 'em till they drop, but decided it is more economical to get out before many repairs are needed, and get some money back when selling. That way, I end up spending as little as 1K to 2K per year on a car, and get to drive relatively nice cars.

I like buying used cars because you get real data on how well the cars hold up over the years.

A good way to find a reliable car is to use

CarComplaints.com

Find out through wiki pages on cars how many units of each prospective car were built that year, then create a ratio of complaints per number built to get a good comparison.

You also get feedback on what owners disliked about the car. Of course, it never hurts to be familiar with how the car drove when it is new, so I rent newer prospective cars from time to time for a trip or vacation. Keeps your own car young and mileage is everything when it comes to used car value.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Normally that’s exactly what I would have done but the 2019 ND model is has rendered the 2016-2018 models obsolete. You can get some great deals on a used 2016 model but you’ll
    Soon be wishing you got the 2019 model with the higher HP.
    Curious why the Camaro wasnt in the mix. Or the current nussan Z car

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

As I said. Not into drag racing. The Stang, at best, has average handling. Most have poor handling. Great for a drag strip... and that’s about it.
    You asked I gave you my opinion. BTW the mustang has suspension options and is the preferred car for the most Florida State Troopers. So go buy a fufu car. It's you that must like the car you buy.