Thread: New car day

1. #31 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,511 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Yes they do. Most troopers I knew when I did the installs of light bars, communications gear in the new cars preferred the Stang for it's speed and agility.
    Maryland also used Stang's (don't know if they still do) to patrol highways. I saw lots of them when I worked for the food service company when we went through Maryland to DC and Virginia.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (06-27-2019)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Maryland also used Stang's (don't know if they still do) to patrol highways. I saw lots of them when I worked for the food service company when we went through Maryland to DC and Virginia.
    Around here most cops use SUV's
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    And when they come in black, they just look like OMG The Man's Here, like the black Dodge Chargers a lot of LEOs have. lol
    Here is a picture. fhpprep.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-27-2019)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Love the look of Dodges. But they're Dodge. Once a great brand but shite since Iococca left.
    Iococca was a bean counter and did nothing for the company. The Challenger is on a great chassis with IRS and may parts/ features in common with Mercedes, who used to own them. The retro style is timeless and one of the best looking cars on the road. The Pentastar DOHC TVVT engine is smooth, reliable, and has 40# less aluminium than the GM counterpart, and was one or Ward's ten best engines for several years running.

I didn't buy one because the interior wasn't luxurious enough for my Princess.

7. #35 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,511 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Iococca was a bean counter and did nothing for the company. The Challenger is on a great chassis with IRS and may parts/ features in common with Mercedes, who used to own them. The retro style is timeless and one of the best looking cars on the road. The Pentastar DOHC TVVT engine is smooth, reliable, and has 40# less aluminium than the GM counterpart, and was one or Ward's ten best engines for several years running.

What year Challenger do you have?

I like the modern "muscle cars" with the retro styling, but not near as much as the ones they mimic.
    There's no question they're safer, faster and better handling than the originals, But hey, the Charger
    is now a 4-door? That is just immoral!
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Here is a picture. fhpprep.jpg
    Hey, those are cool looking. I like our ST cars here; they look so old-fashioned. Even have the cherry bubble on top.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Stonehedge View Post
    Around here most cops use SUV's
    Yeah, the county and city guys mostly do too here.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post

Talk to cops, they dont want them. And one of the cars most rapidly traded in. Like i said, love the look but the rest just doesnt work.
    Iococca revived quality, for a time.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Talk to cops, they dont want them. And one of the cars most rapidly traded in. Like i said, love the look but the rest just doesnt work.
    Iococca revived quality, for a time.
    The cops Iv'e talked to love the Charger, which is the same chassis as the Challenger. Iococca left Ford in disgrace with the Pinto, and his big thing for ChryCo was the minivan.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What year Challenger do you have?

I like the modern "muscle cars" with the retro styling, but not near as much as the ones they mimic.
    There's no question they're safer, faster and better handling than the originals, But hey, the Charger
    is now a 4-door? That is just immoral!
    I don't have a Challenger. Like I've said, it made my short list on my last purchase.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yeah, the county and city guys mostly do too here.
    Yeah, they do here, too. Around here, they pretty much all have Ford Explorers.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    The Misses just got promoted with a sizable raise in pay. As a payback she said I could buy a new sports car but my budget is $45k tops. Which can buy a decent sports car but isn’t going to buy a race car. I’m not a mechanic and I’m not wealthy so other financial factors come into play. Like cost to own. I intend to drive this car daily.

With the financial limits I have I can eliminate a European car as their reliability and cost to own suck. Particularly the latter.

So I have limited my choice to three types. They are;

A muscle car
    A hot hatch
    A roadster

After doing my research I have decided on one car in each category.

Mustang GT, which is at the high end of my budget. A Civic type R which is in the middle of my budget and a Mazda MX-5 Club spec, at the low end of budget.

The Stang is the fastest in straight line speed and though they have improved the handling it doesn’t handle nearly as well as the other two. The Stang would stomp the Civic type R in a drag race, the type R has terrible launching characteristics but the Type R would beat the Stang on a road track. It’s handling is just that much better. It also has the highest cost to own.

The Type R is probably the best compromise. It’s way lighter than the Stang, is more fun to drive and with 300hp, given the weight difference, isn’t much slower. It’s also the most practical daily daily driver. It’s cost to own is significantly lower than the Stang but surprisingly is equal to the MX-5. On the down side the styling sucks. It looks cartoonish and looks like something an 18 yo would drive.

The MX-5 has upgrade its power to 181 Hp and it only weighs 2350lb. It unquestionably has the best handling and though far less power than the other two is extremely rewarding momentum car for those who know how to drive. You can also push the limits of an MX-5 in a manner you can’t do in the other two if you don’t want to wrap yourself around a telephone pole or go to Jail. Its also a convertible. On the down side it’s The slowest and least practical though it’s the most reliable of the three.

So what are my priorities? In order they are;

Fun to drive
    Great handling
    Speed
    Reliability
    Cost to own
    Practical

Practical is at the bottom of the list as I already have a hatchback that serves that purpose and I intend to keep it.

So the winner is the MX-5. In terms of being fun to drive, particularly with the top down, it walks away from the others. With the hp increase to 181 and the improved aero design it’s top speed is around 145 mph. A significant improvement over the 2018 model that tops out at 125 mph. Certainly slower than the other two but plenty fast for road driving. I’m not going to drive on a track or drag race. It’s also the most reliable of the three based on statistics I’ve reviewed. In the end, for me, being the most fun to drive wins out.

Can't buy your own car?

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I also have a Lincoln MKZ which has plenty of muscle.
    interesting......I'm looking at a 2014-2016 model to replace my 2001 F150......I love the huge moonroof.......

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Congratulate her on her promotion.
    what I don't understand is why she doesn't just trade Mott in on a newer model......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (07-01-2019)

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    I highly recommend meeting some wholesalers!

Wholesalers can save you a lot of money. Wholesalers who strictly buy from Automobile Auctions will allow you to attend the Auctions as a guest, for a fee of course, and they will bid for you, and if your bid wins, add on another fee for the purchase.

Many sales at the auctions go for about 50% of the Blue Market Price.

Many times the automobiles come from low mileage rental or lease cars that are in excellent conditions.

All you really need is a letter of credit from your lender!

If I were to buy my wife (if I had a wife) a car, I would probably be looking at late model Lexus, Infiniti, and BMW's.

Those are all luxury sports cars!
    It's clear why no one would marry you. Respectable women want real men not pussies like you.