Thread: The least educated and unhealthiest states vote for the Republican

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    wow.

this is the most absurd thing I have read today.

I find plenty of idiots on both sides - but the idiots on the left are especially idiotic on JPP
    There are idiots on both sides, but there are also smart people on the Left. I can't think of a single Righty here that has real discussions. All they do is sperg out.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 43 Times in 37 Posts

Here are the top 10 states that spend the most on welfare per capita, according to GoBankingRates.com.
    Massachusetts. ...
    Vermont. ...
    Minnesota. ...
    New Mexico. ...
    Delaware. Welfare spending per capita: $2,544. ...
    Maine. Welfare spending per capita: $2,530. ...
    Oregon. Welfare spending per capita: $2,520. ...
    Kentucky. Welfare spending per capita: $2,517.
    More items...•Nov 29, 2018

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,653 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Republicans notoriously fight the effort to properly fund public schools.
    Public school funding per pupil has increased substantially over the years adjusted for inflation. The schools with the higher expenditures are often the poorest performers because they are in low-income inner cities. Certainly performance has not improved in good or poor schools as expenditures have increased.

Students are working more, studying less, arriving at college less prepared, but grade point averages have inflated and college graduation rates are higher. That tells us something about standards.

As far as spending, look at the various state salary data bases. The highest paid state employees are almost always coaches.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Public school funding per pupil has increased substantially over the years adjusted for inflation. The schools with the higher expenditures are often the poorest performers because they are in low-income inner cities. Certainly performance has not improved in good or poor schools as expenditures have increased.

Students are working more, studying less, arriving at college less prepared, but grade point averages have inflated and college graduation rates are higher. That tells us something about standards.

As far as spending, look at the various state salary data bases. The highest paid state employees are almost always coaches.
    Definitely agree with you about the grade inflation. I think there's no question about that. My daughter is 2 so I can't speak from personal experience but talking to other parents of older kids in school I've heard them comment about the amount of homework their kids have each night and the number of hours they spend studying. Maybe that's anecdotal and not the case for all but the concern they expressed was the kids were doing less of being kids.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Definitely agree with you about the grade inflation. I think there's no question about that. My daughter is 2 so I can't speak from personal experience but talking to other parents of older kids in school I've heard them comment about the amount of homework their kids have each night and the number of hours they spend studying. Maybe that's anecdotal and not the case for all but the concern they expressed was the kids were doing less of being kids.
    Kids at lower grades tend to have more homework. By the time they get to high school they are required to do much less except for the honor students who are often highly motivated. The average high school kid can do little and still make B's. C's are supposedly average but a C is considered a bad grade today. If you know any typical high school students ask them how much they actually have to read to pass. I had college students tell me they had never read a book before.

I don't think it was that different when I went to high school except for the grade inflation. Today parents or administrators will be all over the teacher who gives too many low grades. I knew professors who taught many years who told me they had never failed a student.
    Last edited by Flash; 06-24-2019 at 07:21 PM.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Kids at lower grades tend to have more homework. By the time they get to high school they are required to do much less except for the honor students who are often highly motivated. The average high school kid can do little and still make B's. C's are supposedly average but a C is considered a bad grade today. If you know any typical high school students ask them how much they actually have to read to pass. I had college students tell me they had never read a book before.

I don't think it was that different when I went to high school except for the grade inflation. Today parents or administrators will be all over the teacher who gives too many low grades. I knew professors who taught many years who told me they had never failed a student.
    Interesting. It’s definitely possible those I’m talking to are more the parents of the honor students and thus aren’t reflective of kids overall.

I think of a school like San Diego State or Chico St that I had a few classmates go to. My classmates went with like a 2.0 GPA. I’m only partially tongue in cheek saying you could get in if you could sign your name. Today you hear kids saying you need a 3.5 to get in. That’s crazy. And that’s serious grade inflation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-25-2019)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Interesting. It’s definitely possible those I’m talking to are more the parents of the honor students and thus aren’t reflective of kids overall.

I think of a school like San Diego State or Chico St that I had a few classmates go to. My classmates went with like a 2.0 GPA. I’m only partially tongue in cheek saying you could get in if you could sign your name. Today you hear kids saying you need a 3.5 to get in. That’s crazy. And that’s serious grade inflation.
    The homework issue applies to all students, but it mostly occurs at the lower levels. Some schools today are choosing to eliminate homework. Originally it was because those with computers or internet access at home had an unfair advantage.

"You Graduated Cum Laude? So Did Everyone Else"

"Nearly half of students who graduated from Lehigh University, Princeton University and the University of Southern California this year did so with cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors, or their equivalents. At Harvard and Johns Hopkins, more got the designations than didn’t."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-gra...lse-1530523801

Some Ivy League schools have put limits (50%) on the number of honor graduates. Some considered putting some regulations on course grades but it would put that school's graduates at a disadvantage in getting in graduate and professional schools.

For the private for-profit schools and community colleges a lot has to do with money. The more students they admit and retain the more state money they receive or federal loans/grants. Some of the accreditation agencies now include retention ("success") rate as part of the process. The college I retired from put in study skills classes as a way to show they are doing something to help retain students.

Some states include retention rate as part of the funding process. The result, of course, is that teachers pass more students.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-25-2019)

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    There is a clear correlation between a person’s level of education and his or her likelihood to vote for a right wing party. The lower the level of education, the more likely it is that that person votes Republican (or UKIP in Britain or for Le Pen in France or Wilders in the Netherlands etc). Put bluntly, people who aren’t very well-educated are more likely to believe in simplistic solutions, above all solutions that blame “the other” (eg immigrants or ethnic minorities).

This is being proven out everyday with the trumpanzees
    its the result of Fox news targeting the stupid to get them to vote repuyblican

It was a plan created by Roger Ailes and Nixon

They found their daddy in Murdock

11. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-25-2019)

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The homework issue applies to all students, but it mostly occurs at the lower levels. Some schools today are choosing to eliminate homework. Originally it was because those with computers or internet access at home had an unfair advantage.

"You Graduated Cum Laude? So Did Everyone Else"

"Nearly half of students who graduated from Lehigh University, Princeton University and the University of Southern California this year did so with cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors, or their equivalents. At Harvard and Johns Hopkins, more got the designations than didn’t."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-gra...lse-1530523801

Some Ivy League schools have put limits (50%) on the number of honor graduates. Some considered putting some regulations on course grades but it would put that school's graduates at a disadvantage in getting in graduate and professional schools.

For the private for-profit schools and community colleges a lot has to do with money. The more students they admit and retain the more state money they receive or federal loans/grants. Some of the accreditation agencies now include retention ("success") rate as part of the process. The college I retired from put in study skills classes as a way to show they are doing something to help retain students.

Some states include retention rate as part of the funding process. The result, of course, is that teachers pass more students.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting to see my beloved alma mater on that list for having nearly half the students graduate with honors.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    its the result of Fox news targeting the stupid to get them to vote repuyblican

It was a plan created by Roger Ailes and Nixon

They found their daddy in Murdock
    Fox didn't make people vote Republican. Republicans chose to watch Fox News. The effect of the propaganda hate networks (Fox, CNN, MSNBC) has been to reduce the number of viewers who watch news leaving only the least informed to watch those stations.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-25-2019)

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Gonzomin,

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    This board shows the difference between rightys and leftys. You get real discussion and debate from most Dems. The rightys post one-liner drive-by insults and declare themselves winners. The Republican party is the home of bigots and haters. They have a religious attachment to Trump no matter what stupid shit he does.
    I would say that is true of the far right but I regularly enjoy very spirited discussions here with those who are right of center.

Conversely, we have some lefties here who show no respect to anyone to the right of them.

My view is that anyone who disrespects others simply for their view is poisoning needed discussion.

Bitter polarization is poisoning the country and falls right into Putin's plan to destabilize America.

We each want to believe we are right, but none of us should be so sure that we are unwilling to listen to respectfully presented opposing views. Everything should always be open to discussion. Anyone who is absolutely convinced they are correct is absolutely mistaken.

I believe what I believe until I find out I was wrong. Then I change what I believe until I learn better yet. We must always be open to constructive criticism of our views. Everyone's perspective is unique, based on the things they have seen and learned. No two individuals experience the same input of information. Together, we represent more knowledge than any of us do alone.

Diversity makes America great.

Diversity of views makes us better informed.

IF we listen to what others have to say.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    There are idiots on both sides, but there are also smart people on the Left. I can't think of a single Righty here that has real discussions. All they do is sperg out.
    hmmm,.

you are one of the ones on the left I think of as being especially stupid.

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    As compared with most Americans, Trump’s voters are better off. The median household income of a Trump voter so far in the primaries is about $72,000.
    It is no surprise that the rich vote for Trump as they overlook his glaringly obvious faults. It is a mistake to assume that wealth and education level are strictly synonymous.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    I can right off the top of my head,

Cawacko, Flash, annonymoose, gfm7175...

I'm sure there are more I have overlooked...