1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Public school funding per pupil has increased substantially over the years adjusted for inflation. The schools with the higher expenditures are often the poorest performers because they are in low-income inner cities. Certainly performance has not improved in good or poor schools as expenditures have increased.

Students are working more, studying less, arriving at college less prepared, but grade point averages have inflated and college graduation rates are higher. That tells us something about standards.

As far as spending, look at the various state salary data bases. The highest paid state employees are almost always coaches.
    Parenting plays a bigger part. People who are born into cross-generational poverty are poorly equipped to raise children with a focus on the success which as eluded them, and they lacked such role models as children themselves. Add to that the fact that they frequently have to work longer hours and are able to spend less time with their kids than the affluent.

The result of that effect logically means that when schools have to take on more of the parenting, that it costs more to do that extra work (which they are unable to do as well as the real thing.)

Also, it is difficult for students to excel when they live in a stressful environment, don't eat as healthy a diet, and are constantly threatened with violence.

Logically, with these considerations, struggling schools should receive extra funding above what the best schools get.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello anonymoose,

It is no surprise that the rich vote for Trump as they overlook his glaringly obvious faults. It is a mistake to assume that wealth and education level are strictly synonymous.
    The median household income of a Trump voter so far in the primaries is about $72,000.
    Wow. You consider a household income of $72,000 rich???

the general portrayal of Trump’s voters as uneducated also failed to conform to the facts: “About 44 percent of Trump supporters have college degrees… higher than the 33 percent of non-Hispanic white adults, or the 29 percent of American adults overall, who have at least a bachelor’s degree.
    A higher education level is synonymous with a higher income, but if you consider a household income of $72,000 as being rich then I'd say yes it is synonymous.
    Personally I consider $72,000 pretty low, but to each their own.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 06-25-2019 at 10:54 PM.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Please go back and read what I said again, which wasn't that.

A higher education level is synonymous with a higher income,
    There are many examples to dispute that. Doctors don't make as much as executives, but they have more education. Scientists are usually more educated than executives, but frequently are not paid as much. It seems if you sit on boards which determine each other's salary, you make more than people who work for the organizations the boards oversee. Big surprise.

but if you consider a household income as being rich then I'd say yes it is synonymous.
    It would help if you were to argue against what I actually said.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

domer76 (06-25-2019)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    This board shows the difference between rightys and leftys. You get real discussion and debate from most Dems. The rightys post one-liner drive-by insults and declare themselves winners. The Republican party is the home of bigots and haters. They have a religious attachment to Trump no matter what stupid shit he does.
    That's rich, based on the OP alone.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,
    Hello.

Please go back and read what I said again, which wasn't that.
    You either implied it or deflected by changing the subject. I took that you implied it. Sorry.

There are many examples to dispute that. Doctors don't make as much as executives, but they have more education. Scientists are usually more educated than executives, but frequently are not paid as much. It seems if you sit on boards which determine each other's salary, you make more than people who work for the organizations the boards oversee. Big surprise.
    Of course there are always exceptions. I know a guy that owns a pizza joint in San Diego that nets almost a $million/yr. in taxable income from his restaurant. Bronx Pizza .
    But in general education level is positively correlated with earnings. I'm pretty sure you know that but if you don't I'll provide a chart from the bureau of Labor Statistics.

So basically it's a myth that Trump voters are generally uneducated, low income hicks. Just like the polls that said there was a 90% chance hrc would be our next president.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Hello Flash,

Parenting plays a bigger part. People who are born into cross-generational poverty are poorly equipped to raise children with a focus on the success which as eluded them, and they lacked such role models as children themselves. Add to that the fact that they frequently have to work longer hours and are able to spend less time with their kids than the affluent.

The result of that effect logically means that when schools have to take on more of the parenting, that it costs more to do that extra work (which they are unable to do as well as the real thing.)

Also, it is difficult for students to excel when they live in a stressful environment, don't eat as healthy a diet, and are constantly threatened with violence.

Logically, with these considerations, struggling schools should receive extra funding above what the best schools get.
    Agreed, although it ignores the great majority of the students who fall between the affluent and those in poverty. For those children the greatest (predictable) parenting issue is those who came from single-parent families.

I realize the added expenses for educating the poor, but my point was that those increased expenditures have not resulted in improved performance. Unfortunately, for many of the inner cities the number of faculty and students have declined while the number of administrators has increased. So, (to exaggerate a little), the number of after school or tutoring programs are less likely to succeed when they are run by a director with three assistant directors and five associate directors. I have been involved in some of those federal educational programs and they are viewed as ways to get money for renovation and equipment the school can keep even when the program is finished.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-25-2019)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Not entirely true, there are intelligent conservatives, George Wills and David Brooks come to mind, both interesting columnists, and "the Hill" plus "WSJ" will often offer sharp conservative analysis.

But you are correct, on this Forum you aren't going to see many of those type conservatives, "cawacko" is about as close as you will get, this vehicle is full of Trumpkins regurgitating talking points they heard, saw, or read from the demogogues
    The Republican Party has been destroyed! They have no one to blame but their hateful selves.

2020 will be their wake-up call! Trust me- there will be some Republicans Drunk on Donald Trump starting to sober up after 2020!

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Hello StoneByStone,

I can right off the top of my head,

Cawacko, Flash, annonymoose, gfm7175...

I'm sure there are more I have overlooked...
    Cawacko and Flash, I'll give you. Are they Trump supporters?
    Annonymoose, nooo.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So basically it's a myth that Trump voters are generally uneducated, low income hicks.
    I have made numerous posts proving this is a myth. But it is a way for the haters to denigrate those who voted for him.

You know you will be accused of being a Trump supporter for correcting a bigoted myth. I have been accused of this several times although I have repeatedly stated I do not support Trump or agree with this supporters. It seems that you have to believe all the lies about the other side to prove yourself loyal.

Just like the polls that said there was a 90% chance hrc would be our next president.
    The polls did not predict Hillary would win. They estimated the popular vote results very closely: 46% Clinton v. 44% Trump. Writers took those results and used them to try to predict the election results using those polls for purposes they were not intended. Pollsters cannot dictate how others will their results.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I have made numerous posts proving this is a myth. But it is a way for the haters to denigrate those who voted for him.

You know you will be accused of being a Trump supporter for correcting a bigoted myth. I have been accused of this several times although I have repeatedly stated I do not support Trump or agree with this supporters. It seems that you have to believe all the lies about the other side to prove yourself loyal.

The polls did not predict Hillary would win. They estimated the popular vote results very closely: 46% Clinton v. 44% Trump. Writers took those results and used them to try to predict the election results using those polls for purposes they were not intended. Pollsters cannot dictate how others will their results.
    Man, isn't that the truth. Now I can be just as partisan as the next guy so I'm not holier than thou when it comes to this. But it's not just enough to disagree with someone today you also have to want to bury them or on the fringes want them all to die even.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A higher education level is synonymous with a higher income, but if you consider a household income as being rich then I'd say yes it is synonymous.
    The median family income is about $59,000. That makes $72,000 not rich but above the median.

"It’s time to bust the myth: Most Trump voters were not working class."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8a16737e439b

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

anonymoose (06-25-2019)

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    There is a clear correlation between a person’s level of education and his or her likelihood to vote for a right wing party. The lower the level of education, the more likely it is that that person votes Republican (or UKIP in Britain or for Le Pen in France or Wilders in the Netherlands etc). Put bluntly, people who aren’t very well-educated are more likely to believe in simplistic solutions, above all solutions that blame “the other” (eg immigrants or ethnic minorities).

This is being proven out everyday with the trumpanzees
    go roll in the shake and bake and get in your oven, little ball of hate

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,766 Times in 33,631 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    go roll in the shake and bake and get in your oven, little ball of hate
    Oh, that was bad, you use to be funnier, it needs 50 groans.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Oh, that was bad, you use to be funnier, it needs 50 groans.
    get in the oven!

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 43 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    The Republican Party has been destroyed! They have no one to blame but their hateful selves.

2020 will be their wake-up call! Trust me- there will be some Republicans Drunk on Donald Trump starting to sober up after 2020!
    Ya ... and Hillary wins in a landslide .