Thread: Fifty Years Ago Today....

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Here is an interesting read about the challenge and the damage done to our planet because of these fires.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/articl...e-centralia-pa
    Second comment on this. The article was written over 9 years ago. I haven't been able to find anything about the use of the nitrogen foam to try to put it out.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Second comment on this. The article was written over 9 years ago. I haven't been able to find anything about the use of the nitrogen foam to try to put it out.
    The fire rages on, but my point of referring to that article is exposing the problem with Coal and Coal mining, and the harm it is doing to our planet.

The article, that is 8 years old, but it also tells about the scope of the problem around the world.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Bill (06-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The fire rages on, but my point of referring to that article is exposing the problem with Coal and Coal mining, and the harm it is doing to our planet.

The article, that is 8 years old, but it also tells about the scope of the problem around the world.
    It sure does. Thanks for posting that. Very sobering.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Adolf_Twitler (06-24-2019)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

What do you think of Sen. Collin's chances of reelection?
    I think that she may get re-elected, but her margin will not be as wide as it once was. I think more than a few voters will remember the scolding she gave everyone over Kavanaugh.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aimée View Post
    I think that she may get re-elected, but her margin will not be as wide as it once was. I think more than a few voters will remember the scolding she gave everyone over Kavanaugh.
    Who's running against her?

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why you're so confused. Did I say that? No, I did not. If you want an adult discussion, try responding to what is written rather than making up shit.

OTOH, the Toadstool is doing everything possible to roll back environmental protections, with a wink and a nod from industry who whines that it's too expensive to not pollute. Would you like a serving of coal ash in your tap water?

https://content.sierraclub.org/coal/...atens-families
    Apparently you believe that only the Federal bureaucracy can ensure we have clean water. I am asking you why you think the States are incapable of handling that. But if you want to pretend you're having an adult conversation when all you are doing is exhibiting your predictable pomposity and arrogance, find an echo chamber.

The argument that Trump wants polluted rivers and water is LAME and a LIE. Yet you whine like a little baby about making shit up?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That wasn't a scolding; that's absurd. She gave a very reasoned and sensible argument while the lunatics on the Party of the Jackass side of the aisle acted like spoiled angry children and attempted to destroy a d good man and his family for partisan political purposes.

If leftists had a brain, they would be embarrassed.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who's running against her?
    I haven't heard too much about that race yet. I am hoping to hear more this year. They need to get in gear if they want the position!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimée For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,681 Times in 27,326 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I remember when I was very young (late 70's) when no one was allowed near the Androscoggin River because it was filled with the chemicals from the paper mills upstream. It was miserable! I remember the strange, brown foam that was always floating on it along with the dead fish. Things have always reached Maine later than in other states. Today, it's far cleaner and the birds and the fish are now back. I am so glad that the EPA exists, and that we wanted our lands and waters to be clean again.

Good news? The state of Maine has just banned single-use plastic bags. I have been using cloth bags for so long now, that I won't even notice any changes from it.
    Nice story.

I personally believe we owe a debt of gratitude to the environmental activists of the early 1970s, and well as the Democrats and progressive Republicans in congress who set aside partisan differences to pass truly landmark legislation. Legislation that did not have an economic motive, a tax motive, a business and commerce motive, a political motive – but was the purest from of legislation for the public interest that is probably even possible in our representative democracy.

I have this prominently displayed in my office, and in my opinion, it is the most elegant and lucid expression of legislative intent I have ever seen.

Clean Water Act, Section 101. (a)
    "The objective of this Act is to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Nation’s waters."
    Pure elegance.

I also believe that the prelude to the Endangered Species Act is arguably the purest expression of uncorrupted and noble legislative intent possible.

Endangered Species Act
    Section 2. Findings, Purposes, and Policy
    Congress finds and declares that—
    (1) various species of fish, wildlife, and plants in the United States have been rendered extinct as a consequence of economic growth and development untempered by adequate concern and conservation;
    (2) other species of fish, wildlife, and plants have been so depleted in numbers that they are in danger of or threatened with extinction;
    (3) these species of fish, wildlife, and plants are of esthetic, ecological, educational, historical, recreational, and scientific value to the Nation and its people.

The purposes of this Act are to provide a means whereby the ecosystems upon which endangered species and threatened species depend may be conserved.
    A real tear-jerker, considering this came from the U.S. Congress!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Aimée (06-24-2019), Bill (06-24-2019), ThatOwlWoman (06-24-2019)

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is an interesting read about the challenge and the damage done to our planet because of these fires.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/articl...e-centralia-pa
    Interesting read, did they ever try to foam???
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

16. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Apparently you believe that only the Federal bureaucracy can ensure we have clean water. I am asking you why you think the States are incapable of handling that.
    I've already told you, moron. Waterways touch more than one state. I gave you the example of the Mississippi River. Did you even bother to read that and respond with some sort of logical rebuttal? No, you just launched into yet another ad hom attack.

I knew it was a mistake take off your gag. Time and again you demonstrate that you have one-level, simplistic thinking and are incapable of seeing anything other than your twisted ideology. Goodbye.

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Nice story.

I personally believe we owe a debt of gratitude to the environmental activists of the early 1970s, and well as the Democrats and progressive Republicans in congress who set aside partisan differences to pass truly landmark legislation. Legislation that did not have an economic motive, a tax motive, a business and commerce motive, a political motive – but was the purest from of legislation for the public interest that is probably even possible in our representative democracy.

I have this prominently displayed in my office, and in my opinion, it is the most elegant and lucid expression of legislative intent I have ever seen.

Pure elegance.

I also believe that the prelude to the Endangered Species Act is arguably the purest expression of uncorrupted and noble legislative intent possible.

Thank you! I have to agree with you about that first quote. I am impressed with the fact that they could all come together and come up with that act. Sadly, times have changed.

18. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Nice story.

Pure elegance.

I wonder if something like this would even make it out of committee today. :~(

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Aimée (06-24-2019)

20. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

I remember when I was very young (late 70's) when no one was allowed near the Androscoggin River because it was filled with the chemicals from the paper mills upstream. It was miserable! I remember the strange, brown foam that was always floating on it along with the dead fish. Things have always reached Maine later than in other states. Today, it's far cleaner and the birds and the fish are now back. I am so glad that the EPA exists, and that we wanted our lands and waters to be clean again.

Good news? The state of Maine has just banned single-use plastic bags. I have been using cloth bags for so long now, that I won't even notice any changes from it.
    It's sad to see how much damage plastic products do to marine life. Living in Florida, I see a lot of news stories about turtles, ducks, manatees, etc. being harmed and suffering from plastic products.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

Aimée (06-24-2019), Bill (06-24-2019)

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've already told you, moron. Waterways touch more than one state. I gave you the example of the Mississippi River. Did you even bother to read that and respond with some sort of logical rebuttal? No, you just launched into yet another ad hom attack.
    Ad hom's like calling people morons? STFU you hack.

I've already told you it is a State issue, not a Federal one. The Constitution; Read it, Learn it and embrace it.

I knew it was a mistake take off your gag. Time and again you demonstrate that you have one-level, simplistic thinking and are incapable of seeing anything other than your twisted ideology. Goodbye.
    I R O N Y!!!